So, my PC suddenly won't boot... [Solved!]

Started by James StarRunner, October 17, 2014, 05:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James StarRunner

I went to restart the computer and it wouldn't boot again. I can't even get the the BIOS screen. The lights are on the monitor and tower and I can even open the CD-ROM drive. I checked every connection, opened up the case and dusted everything, reinserted the cards, removed the battery in the motherboard and let it discharge before putting it back in, let the computer stay off for the night... I'm still not any closer to getting it to work. Any ideas?

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

ZacAttac21

Is the screen not coming on at all or is it just not displaying anything?

James StarRunner

Quote from: CubiKitsune on October 18, 2014, 12:41:05 AM
Is the screen not coming on at all or is it just not displaying anything?
Not displaying anything but "Checking signal". Not hearing any of the startup sounds either. It's on, just not booting.

ZacAttac21

Try using another monitor or hooking your monitor up to a different computer to see if it works. (It may just be the monitor.)

James StarRunner

Quote from: CubiKitsune on October 18, 2014, 01:26:26 AM
Try using another monitor or hooking your monitor up to a different computer to see if it works. (It may just be the monitor.)
Only have the one computer a monitor can connect to. Tried the old monitor though, nothing. I figured it wasn't that though since I don't even hear the booting noises anymore.

ZacAttac21

Hmm. Do you have any hardware you've added recently, aside from a keyboard or mouse? If so, turn off the pc, disconnect whatever it was, then turn it back on and see what happens.

James StarRunner

Nothing new. Same hardware I had for months. Only new thing was a Microsoft update, but it wouldn't be doing this.

ZacAttac21

Whoof, I'm running out of ideas. One, you could have a friend try your monitor on their pc, or you could borrow their monitor and see if it works. Two, you could turn it off, disconnect the power, open the case, and disconnect/reconnect all cables and cards inside. But I would choose option two only as a last resort. If neither of those work, then I've got nothing.

James StarRunner

Quote from: CubiKitsune on October 18, 2014, 02:30:06 AM
Whoof, I'm running out of ideas. One, you could have a friend try your monitor on their pc, or you could borrow their monitor and see if it works. Two, you could turn it off, disconnect the power, open the case, and disconnect/reconnect all cables and cards inside. But I would choose option two only as a last resort. If neither of those work, then I've got nothing.
Pretty sure it's not the monitor(s) and actually already did number two. Thanks for trying though.

Tapewolf

If the thing is completely dead, I'd suspect the PSU, which is usually a standard part that can be replaced off-the-shelf.  Though some of the name-brand makes sometimes make their own custom supplies, in which case you'll know not to buy from them again in future.
If any of the peripherals were coming on, e.g. the disks, that would typically be a memory or CPU issue, but this sounds like the PSU has died, which can happen - normally the capacitors go bad but it can sometimes be the PWM chip.
Other possibilities are the power-good signal from the motherboard, or the soft power switch itself (possibly the cabling).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tapewolf

Oh, did you say that there were lights on on the tower case?  Hmm.  If that's the case, I'd suspect the soft power button.  Otherwise it may be the motherboard itself.  I think you'd expect to have the disks come up even with the CPU and RAM dead.

So yeah, I'd re-check the connection between the front power button and the mainboard.  If you have the kit to do a continuity test that would be useful.  If there are any other switches you could temporarily connect to the soft-power connector on the motherboard, that might also be worth trying.

James StarRunner

Actually, I found out what it was, but I'm still scratching my head about it. It was my network card. No idea why the PC couldn't boot with a faulty network card, but that's what happened. I was worried I've have to dish out a lot of money into a new motherboard. Instead, I spent $25 on a new network card and it's far better than the old one and the PC boots again.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 20, 2014, 11:10:56 PM
Actually, I found out what it was, but I'm still scratching my head about it. It was my network card. No idea why the PC couldn't boot with a faulty network card, but that's what happened. I was worried I've have to dish out a lot of money into a new motherboard. Instead, I spent $25 on a new network card and it's far better than the old one and the PC boots again.

I would not have suspected that.  I can only assume that it shorted out the supply and the PSU refused to start as a protective measure.  Great that you got it working, though!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 21, 2014, 03:49:35 AM
Quote from: James StarRunner on October 20, 2014, 11:10:56 PM

I would not have suspected that.  I can only assume that it shorted out the supply and the PSU refused to start as a protective measure.  Great that you got it working, though!

I'm with Tape, here. That's a weird one.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears