2014/01/24 [DMFA #1458] Roll init!

Started by Lying Foo, January 24, 2014, 02:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lying Foo

Oh for... Biggs has devoted his life to outdoing Louis the Prudent.  It wouldn't surprise me if Stealth was working for him.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Lorien077

Looks like our rainbow colored saber toothed spy might be a double agent.  After all Kria would likely have something to say about someone trying to kill Abel, unless things have changed an awful lot since they last interacted.  Or perhaps this is one of the hoops Biggs is referring to?  Seems unlikely though if he has a direct line to the spy...

Better prepare for phase 3 myself and make some popcorn.
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

BabylonRanger

Wow, Dee must be pretty petty to warrant three 't's in Bigg's assessment of her as a "pettty petterson." (Or is that Petterson? *shrug*)

I'm on tenterhooks for Monday and next Thursday!

HaDDea

... aaaaand now it looks like the demons are in on it too. I wonder what they plan to get out of it, and who is involved. A demon might be responsible for killing Owona too; how would a tri-wing fare going toe-to-toe with a fully mature, full-blooded Demon?

This plan must be pretty massive if Biggs is willing to work with the race and possibly the relatives of the person who killed his mother... unless perhaps getting rid of the Soulstealers is part of the bargain? I'm sure there are some demons who would love to take over the Guardianship at Zinvth.

Quote from: BabylonRanger on January 24, 2014, 03:22:40 AM
Wow, Dee must be pretty petty to warrant three 't's in Bigg's assessment of her as a "pettty petterson." (Or is that Petterson? *shrug*)

Biggs has a stutter - don't judge him.   :P

ZacAttac21

Quote from: BabylonRanger on January 24, 2014, 03:22:40 AM
I believe that is a direct shot at Jakob Pettersohn. See Tapewolf's "Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raxuno on January 24, 2014, 04:16:20 AM
I believe that is a direct shot at Jakob Pettersohn. See Tapewolf's "Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn."

I'd hope not.  Destania knowing someone's name seems to be bad for their health.  Also, it's likely that he'd known in SAIA as Jakob Daryil.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kuzma Volkov

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 24, 2014, 05:46:36 AM

I'd hope not.  Destania knowing someone's name seems to be bad for their health.  Also, it's likely that he'd known in SAIA as Jakob Daryil.

Guess you'll become a robot a bit sooner.

Wanderer

It's a reflex save to avoid the trap. The fortitude save is for when you fail the reflex save, and the trap causes some sort of physical effect like poison or something.

Tapewolf

Actually that's Biggs saying it, which makes it even less likely

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Emerauld Drathmir

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 24, 2014, 10:39:50 AM
Actually that's Biggs saying it, which makes it even less likely
Or the mighty Amber loves messing with us.   :mowcookie
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Tuyu

Quote from: Lorien077 on January 24, 2014, 02:59:09 AM
Looks like our rainbow colored saber toothed spy might be a double agent.
But the question is, who does Chazore thinks she's reporting to?

Does she know she is reporting to Biggs? Or does she think she's reporting to someone on the Being-Creature Council? (Since one of the shadowy figures resembled Biggs.) Remember that Kria spies for the BCC, so Chazore reporting to both would be less "double agent", and more "reporting to the boss, and the boss's boss"...

Scow2

...the entire POINT of rogues being good at reflex saves is so they can dance around traps. Rogues are supposed to be a hard counter against traps, just like Rock against scissors, and Convetions against Amber's immune system.

Amber Williams

I mentioned on the katbox rant that the particular argument Abel and Jyrras are having is inspired from a real life friend who was playing a rogue.  Her GM was somewhat annoyed that she had such a rocking Reflex save to dodge traps thrown at her (plus evasion!) so the traps started getting a lot more fort-centric.  Now granted there ARE traps like poison that makes use of fort saves.  However this GM saw fit to have a trap that consisted of "The trap is sprung and the door springs open, moving so fast you cannot move out of the way. Make a fort save to resist crushing damage." in that she was going to take damage regardless but the fort save was to see by how much.

As for the petterson remark...that is actually more just a verbal tick of my own that Biggs stole.  I've called folks Fussy McFusserson or Fickle Fickleson before.  I can assure you there is no connection to Jakob in this context.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 24, 2014, 01:37:47 PM
As for the petterson remark...that is actually more just a verbal tick of my own that Biggs stole.  I've called folks Fussy McFusserson or Fickle Fickleson before.  I can assure you there is no connection to Jakob in this context.
Aww, but it's such a coincidence! :<

joshofspam

Of woes and calamity!

How will the Rogue of Red Hots get out of this trap?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Naldru

There is an alternative explanation for the comments of Biggs and Destania.  Could their plan be to have impelled someone else to kill Owona.  And if the plan was to get someone else to kill Owona, it is possible that Owona is still alive, somebody sent false information to Biggs and Destania that Owona is dead, and is planning some action to deal with the spawn of Cyra.  Both Dark Pegasus and Hizell have indicated that they were going to do something.  After all, Amber has stated that she likes the twists, as well as messing with the minds of the readers.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

HaDDea

Quote from: Naldru on January 24, 2014, 04:35:50 PM
There is an alternative explanation for the comments of Biggs and Destania.  Could their plan be to have impelled someone else to kill Owona.  And if the plan was to get someone else to kill Owona, it is possible that Owona is still alive, somebody sent false information to Biggs and Destania that Owona is dead, and is planning some action to deal with the spawn of Cyra.  Both Dark Pegasus and Hizell have indicated that they were going to do something.  After all, Amber has stated that she likes the twists, as well as messing with the minds of the readers.

I don't think that's likely, based on the last few comics: Fa'lina doesn't think that Owona's destruction matches with Hizell's M.O., and mentions she is dealing with bereft Owonan clan members. I suppose Owona could be alive still, but I would think that a tri-wing severing their link to their clan (if it's even possible) would result in a drop in power for them (as well as a loss in sanity), as their clan strength feeds into their own to some degree.

I suppose someone else could've passed that card on to Biggs, but I also think that's unlikely; i think this was a genuine part of his plan (somehow). I suppose DP might have done something by now, but I'm not sure how helping the 'cubi would be satisfying - his mind seems to be more preoccupied with the undead and with quiet, subtle, meticulous plans. Also, I don't know how kindly Biggs would take to having help from Regina's caretaker (though again, he may not know?). Amber likes to do the plot hula, but i think you're going for the full tin foil hat cha-cha; there's been plenty enough twists this week as it is.

Prroul

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 24, 2014, 01:37:47 PM
I mentioned on the katbox rant that the particular argument Abel and Jyrras are having is inspired from a real life friend who was playing a rogue.  Her GM was somewhat annoyed that she had such a rocking Reflex save to dodge traps thrown at her (plus evasion!) so the traps started getting a lot more fort-centric.  Now granted there ARE traps like poison that makes use of fort saves.  However this GM saw fit to have a trap that consisted of "The trap is sprung and the door springs open, moving so fast you cannot move out of the way. Make a fort save to resist crushing damage." in that she was going to take damage regardless but the fort save was to see by how much.

Lazy GM...

Everyone knows that you get rid of inconvenient rogues with insanely high Reflex saves with a Sphere of Annihilation in the mouth of the statue...

Failing that, use something with a touch attack that delivers a Fort save poison rather than permitting a reflex save.

Or... yanno... use a caster with something like Split Ray Empowered Enervation to deal 2*(2d4*1.5) negative levels. Or a Stinking Cloud for Fort save or be Nauseated. Or a Glitterdust for Will save or Blind.

Plenty of ways to deal with inconvenient anything, really. Except Wizards. By level nine, you can be literally unable to be killed by anything short of a Major Deity. And even then, it would have to be able to find you, and there aren't any deities with both Death and Knowledge in their portfolios to be able to use that combo.

Tuyu

Quote from: Prroul on January 24, 2014, 09:54:02 PM
Or... yanno... use a caster with something like Split Ray Empowered Enervation to deal 2*(2d4*1.5) negative levels. Or a Stinking Cloud for Fort save or be Nauseated. Or a Glitterdust for Will save or Blind.
Anything with an area of effect radius greater than the character's rate of movement will work, too.

Grey Wolf

I'm a little surprised they're working with Chazore, given that she appears to have dragon ancestry.

Also... *takes D&D notes*
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Prroul

Quote from: Tuyu on January 25, 2014, 05:45:01 AM
Quote from: Prroul on January 24, 2014, 09:54:02 PM
Anything with an area of effect radius greater than the character's rate of movement will work, too.
Anything with an area effect with duration longer than one round period, unless they have a way of getting movement as an Immediate Action. Typically, the only things that offer Reflex saves are instantaneous effects. Things that hang around tend to be less Reflex-based because there's not much reflexes involved in getting out of a gas cloud.

Want a trap that will bag a rogue? Gas trap. Close off the exits and start pumping it in. Not a Reflex save, he's got plenty of time... but he's not really so good at busting through walls that don't have a lock to pick.

And yea... I kinda sorta once broke the game. Actually, I kinda sorta broke it several times. I play Legend now. Fun game, free PhB for download, simple character progression, and an actual attempt at game balance.

Wdot

I don't know if Chazore isa double agent. Maybe someone was calling her to let her know Biggs was starting phaze three and to be ready. I'm betting Kria's spy network is better than Biggs'. She after all has had a lot more time to get good. Just my take on it.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt

joshofspam

Quote from: Wdot on January 25, 2014, 02:27:11 PM
I don't know if Chazore isa double agent. Maybe someone was calling her to let her know Biggs was starting phaze three and to be ready. I'm betting Kria's spy network is better than Biggs'. She after all has had a lot more time to get good. Just my take on it.
That's an interesting thought.

Someone possibly spying on Biggs and Destania.

Of course seeing as her body kind of reminds me of a Dragon in their more being form, it makes me wonder if a certain dragon might be changing his objectives on Dee and Biggs just to spite them.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Talonr

All I could think was "Wait, with a hole that big in the back of his chair, wouldn't he just fall straight through when leaning back?" I mean, his head -barely- clears it...