27/12/2010 [DMFA# 1180] - Adventurer-style education

Started by Tapewolf, December 27, 2010, 05:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Looks more like Dan's approach to new things than Abel's.  Jy I can understand because he's been around Dan a lot.

In any case, this should be interesting and kind of awkward (Well, one day my uncle was trying to raise an army of undead fiends y'see...)

EDIT:
Also,  hope Amber hasn't tried to get back into things too soon...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Note also that Devin has been around for a lot longer than 40 years. So.... tracking his history back is going to be tricky.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sid

:boogie

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 27, 2010, 06:44:14 AM
Note also that Devin has been around for a lot longer than 40 years. So.... tracking his history back is going to be tricky.

hmmm, I'm not so sure. What we know for certain is that Devin *died* roughly 375 years before the present comic, so either one of two things happened, although both are odd.

Idea #1. Kria/DP animate Devin right away, realize a few things are wrong, and DP takes a few centuries to perfect his technique. Odd, because it would be weird to only have one prototype in a project like this.

Idea#2, assuming you need a body around when you raise them as undead, Kria kept the body for roughly 300 somethingish years and then animated it when DP was making the rest of the undead. Creepy.

Actually, as I'm writing this, a third, simplest idea occurs, and that is simply that Jyrras is wrong in his statement that Undead have only been around for 40 years, although currently I don't see enough data to make a definitive statement why he'd be under a mistaken impression.

Or which theory is the closest to being accurate. Any  case outside of "Jyrras is just wrong" though, leaves some interesting unrevealed drama centered around Devin, so I'd put money on whichever one Amber finds the creepiest/most awkward.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

joshofspam

Strangely enough Dan's style of fighting came in as the second thought to this. My first thought was Simon Belmont. What? Vampires are undead too.

Though getting my mixed up mind aside, I'm guessing that this might be Lorenda's first exposure to adventurer tactics. I'm guessing that she has rarely had to deal with the negative side of some adventurers or maybe among other forms of stupidity they might be the ones that set of one of her uncommon rampages.

Keep it slow and steady Amber. Get more rest if you need it.

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 27, 2010, 09:53:18 AM
Idea #1. Kria/DP animate Devin right away, realize a few things are wrong, and DP takes a few centuries to perfect his technique. Odd, because it would be weird to only have one prototype in a project like this.

I understood it (from Devin's original cast page, IIRC) that he was just a zombie until about 40 years ago when he suddenly became self-aware, but quite possibly with a different/brand new soul.  From what I recall, most people who had zombie servants destroyed them when they became sentient, but Kria protected Devin for her own reasons.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

terrycloth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 27, 2010, 11:17:26 AM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 27, 2010, 09:53:18 AM

I understood it (from Devin's original cast page, IIRC) that he was just a zombie until about 40 years ago when he suddenly became self-aware, but quite possibly with a different/brand new soul.  From what I recall, most people who had zombie servants destroyed them when they became sentient, but Kria protected Devin for her own reasons.

Secondary information to mess with this is the Demonology page on the Undead, which suggests that (under Strengths) they've only been around for a couple of hundred years. Which makes for an interesting timeline.

Starcat5

Considering that Devin is the fifth oldest surviving Undead, DP could have been just started perfecting his "Undead Servant" spell around the time of Devin's death. Hence the "Few hundred years" part. Additionally, Rachel-Rebecca the Third died 34 years ago. (Not quite 40.) She was brought back from the dead by DP's spectacularly botched "Raise Undead Army" spell. The same spell which gave the existing Undead back their free will.

...I had a point to this post, but now I can't remember where I was going with it. As such, I'll just sign off by saying "Is anyone ELSE out there wondering what a Zombie Apocalypse would look like on Furrae?" Glowy-eyed non-rotting Undead, fighting off hordes of flesh eating rotting corpses, and really REALLY worried about the PR fallout over the whole thing. Anyone with talent (Read: Not me!) want to try their hands at writing a fanfic on the subject?
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Alondro

*Charles gasps as he realizes the truth!*  DP is actually Orochimaru's newest body and he has perfected Impure World Resurrection!!!   Which means someone was sacrificed to bring Devin back!  And we already know DP likes to sacrifice people all the time, so it MAKES PERFECT SENSE!!!   D:

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Foxxy

Looks like Abel and Jy have been playing too many zombie games :U (that is of course if video gaming exists in furrae)  :mowdizzy

On another note, I wonder what will happen when Dan, Dev, Lorenda, and now possibly Abel go to the Dinner date. Meheh.....Does anyone else smell Ebil destruction and chaos? ....Especialy factoring in Regina. Party crash anyone?  :zombiekun2
Since when AREN'T Penguins evil?

Unsilenced

They have Night of the Living Dead...

in a world where the living dead actually exist...

Doesn't that make it...

racist?
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Unsilenced

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 27, 2010, 08:33:11 PM
Quote from: Unsilenced on December 27, 2010, 07:08:12 PM
racist?

Species-ist, maybe. Racist, no.

Undead isn't a species... or... wait...

*thinks about this*

Two organisms are considered to be of a different species when they cannot produce fertile offspring. A human and a zombie can... err... "produce" another zombie, which can in turn produce more zombies. From this we can conclude that zombies and humans are the same species.

But two zombies cannot produce a zombie, just like two human males or two human females. Thus we conclude that "zombie" is a gender, and thus Night of the Living Dead is extremely sexist.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Talis Mahn

Quote from: Sid on December 27, 2010, 07:18:09 AM
Good to see that I'm not the only one who was reminded of Dan's approach to these things.

Also:  Double tap!

Recall that Dan has had friendly contact with the  undead before.   http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_882.php

joshofspam

Quote from: Talis Mahn on December 27, 2010, 10:53:56 PM
Quote from: Sid on December 27, 2010, 07:18:09 AM
Good to see that I'm not the only one who was reminded of Dan's approach to these things.

Also:  Double tap!

Recall that Dan has had friendly contact with the  undead before.   http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_882.php

This one also showed how friendly they can be. http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_884.php  :)

Though these two show that in some cases its a learning experience. http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_904.php http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_905.php

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Anker Steadfast

Definately aim for the head, or blow them into little pieces - That works too. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Shachza

Quote from: Unsilenced on December 27, 2010, 07:08:12 PM
Doesn't that make it...

racist?

If the cartoon Ugly Americans is anything to go by, then yes it is.

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on December 27, 2010, 11:11:02 PM
Definately aim for the head, or blow them into little pieces - That works too. :)

Just light them all on fire.  "Stop, Drop, and Roll" is no longer in their vocabulary, so it works really well.
            <-- #1 that is!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Unsilenced on December 27, 2010, 09:36:49 PM
But two zombies cannot produce a zombie, just like two human males or two human females. Thus we conclude that "zombie" is a gender, and thus Night of the Living Dead is extremely sexist.

You crack me up, you really do. *grin*

RobbieThe1st

After re-reading, I have this feeling that there are zombie movies in Furrae. If so, there could easily be a catch-phrase "aim for the head", which would make a lot of sense in this context.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.