our easter island oven

Started by thegayhare, August 31, 2008, 12:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Hi Hi all

Sorry to be a bother but it's late here, I'm a little crazed from lack of sleep, and I felt an odd need to share this.

Anyway

With winter fast approaching we here in maine felt the need to come up with a cheaper means to heat our home through the cold winter months.  The big rage lately is Wood pellet stoves but we felt that monetarily this was an unsound investment since pellets are costly, and need a lot of work to produce.  Instead we decided to go the old fashioned route and get a plain old wood stove.  they require less matianence, last longer and well the fuel is easier to come by.

We got a second hand Yodal from Don's mother. Tiled the living room floor and one wall, and since yesterday it's been in place.

I swear it looks like an easter island head or some sort of strange tiki idol.  At night is stares at me whispering unholy things in my ears...  it's either that or E.J. keeps farting. 

superluser

That's awesome.  You should name it Imhotep.

He's invisible, you know.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

rabid_fox

I don't heat my home. I just put on another jumper.

Oh dear.

thegayhare

Quote from: rabid_fox on August 31, 2008, 12:45:37 PM

Ahh yes but on average how many feet of snow do you get?

I swear last year we had snow banks that were 8 feet deep in places

Zedd

*bows to almighty Imhotep stove*  :bow

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Zedd on August 31, 2008, 03:10:59 PM
*bows to almighty Imhotep stove*  :bow

Imhotep. Imhotep. Imhotep. ect.

Lushin

Quote from: rabid_fox on August 31, 2008, 12:45:37 PM

You don't heat you're house in Maine you're water pipes will burst. We had like 8 inches of ice on the ponds in like November. Just not much snow. The snow hit us in December. I think we got 2 feet in one storm. Some spots on my lawn the snow was almost up to my waist. Hell my snowmobile was getting stuck. Also I've had a woodstove forever. The house I live in wood is the main heat source. We have oil as well but that is a back up.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Jer-oh-me

Yeesh, I'm so very glad to have gotten out of Michigan.

Though, now I'm in Oregon, though thankfully at just about sea level so we don't get the snow in biblical amounts. Back in Mich mostly got foot deep on average and had that ugly road slush everywhere. Will not be missing that. Winters here are pretty mild though some people who've been here longer claim the city gets snow, I honestly doubt that as once you get up into the hills outside the city there is snow snow snow. Makes for pretty Christmas card photographs though, what with all the benightedly huge trees!

Anyway, love the wood stove, its so cool looking! Does it get your place nice and toasty?

LionHeart

You'll probably find you get very warm...

chopping wood for it.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

thegayhare

Quote from: LionHeart on September 01, 2008, 10:28:40 AM
You'll probably find you get very warm...

chopping wood for it.

We've already got 6 cord of wood split and stacked.  In fact we had the wood ready months before we had the stove.

I'm not sure how well it'll heat the house since it's currently too hot out fire it up but I'm pretty sure we'll be nice and tosty