The quality of Disney movies

Started by thegayhare, December 11, 2007, 09:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

now lately I've heard alot of talk about the decline in quality of the Disney animation. 

I agree that Disney has gone down hill in an extreme fashion with it's animation and rampant sequalitous. 

But oddly as it's animation has declined I think the quality of it's live action movies has increased.

National treasure and the recent piratesmovies or even the Robin Williams adaptation of Flubber are prime examples of this.

While I think the recent enchanted will buck this trend (It's not my thing though my mom thinks it's going to be funny) it still seems to be an interesting trend

So what do you folks think?

Zina

Disney fired their entire animation department a while back because they decided they wanted to start doing only 3D computer animation, so they could compete with Pixar and Dreamworks. This failed, obviously.
Now Disney is trying to build back up their animation department. They're even going back to traditional animation with their movie "The Frog and the Princess", which I'm actually looking forward to.

Brunhidden

to me the insult is they've changed their style- a disney movie used to be something that if you took a 6 year old, a 13 year old, a 26 year old, and a 45 year old they would all like it to varrying degrees... now it is not the case, many of the movies appeal only to the very young and the very old who automatically like disney based on pavlonian programing.

an example thereof- 'meet the robinsons', you can notice that everyone is far too 'animated', they flail their arms randomly like noodles, they constantly have to move their heads while talking as though they had an itch, and everything ignores what is classically called good design.

another example thereof- any new version of mickey mouse. i remember the old mickey, i loved mickey and goofy, my daughter does too. but all the new versions are a real pathetic attempt to mimic the originals, and its sad. they're slow, they're dumbed down, and made more cutesy poo.... its friggin mickey mouse, why would anyone want do dumb it down and make it cuter? how about we make 'saw' more gory or 'mythbusters' more insane?

i remember as a child going to see aladdin in theatres, that was the kind of movie that was pure disney, you could not see all of the movie in just one sitting, and it was masterful. some of whats coming out now is not even fit to share the same shelf, and that saddens me. the more recent movies don't even have music you would find yourself singing, and that was always a high point of a disney movie was the next day you might catch yourself singing one of the fun songs you saw a monkey or a fish sing.

going purely CG is not nessecary, my wife and i had even said that we missed some of the old classic animation, and it had a charm all its own. sure, use CG when its appropriate and to help along the animation or improve it like they did in beauty and the beast or aladdin... but leave pure CG to the people with a vision.

on the same note, im both sad and glad that pixar was bought by disney. one one hand pixar cant really do its own thing anymore, but on the other hand it looks like the rest of disney will try and learn from pixar now.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Zorro

California and Florida are FULL of people that Disney burned.

Needless to say they don't have a good name as an employer.  So much so that I know an ex Disney Animator that refused to return and stayed a Postman in Chicago instead.

thegayhare

I forgot to mention one of the more recent animated disney movies I thought was any good was The Goofy movie.  That was a pretty good Disney animation

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 11, 2007, 11:54:13 PM
on the same note, im both sad and glad that pixar was bought by disney. one one hand pixar cant really do its own thing anymore, but on the other hand it looks like the rest of disney will try and learn from pixar now.

Disney owns pixar?  *panics for a moment*

Oh wait I already new that... sorry I forgot which one Aardman teamed with... but that was Dreamworks.  Disney would destroy Aardman

Eibborn

A while ago, I'd have agreed with you, Brunhidden, about the animation going downhill. But then I saw Ratatouille and was totally blown away. Possibly the best animated Disney film since Lilo and Stitch. And best of all, it didn't have the hated Disney ending (c).
So I dunno. I wasn't blown away by National Treasure, considering it to be essentially the Da Vinci Code re-set in America.

I think it largely depends on how original the concept is to start with.

(Also, everyone knows Disney sequels suck. They're hardly worth mentioning.)
/kicks the internet over

Zina

Quote from: Eibbor_N on December 12, 2007, 12:57:52 AM
A while ago, I'd have agreed with you, Brunhidden, about the animation going downhill. But then I saw Ratatouille and was totally blown away. Possibly the best animated Disney film since Lilo and Stitch. And best of all, it didn't have the hated Disney ending (c).
So I dunno. I wasn't blown away by National Treasure, considering it to be essentially the Da Vinci Code re-set in America.

I think it largely depends on how original the concept is to start with.

(Also, everyone knows Disney sequels suck. They're hardly worth mentioning.)

Ratatouille wasn't done by Disney. It was done by Pixar, which is owned by Disney. Disney has very little, if anything, to do with the films made by Pixar.

Eibborn

/kicks the internet over

Brunhidden

Quote from: Zina on December 12, 2007, 01:28:27 AM

Ratatouille wasn't done by Disney. It was done by Pixar, which is owned by Disney. Disney has very little, if anything, to do with the films made by Pixar.

okay, the story goes that once there was pixar, and it did toy story which rocked. disney obtained a controling intrest, and pixar was unhappy that disney kept telling them what to do, what not to do, and so fourth. then pixar split from disney, and it created a movie completely without disney influence, cars. then disney bought pixar outright, but now they are less controlling because they realize now that pixar knows what its doing, thus leading to ratatoulie and walle- the last of the 'original' pixar movies, all of which came from ideas from one fateful conversation at a diner and many of which were doodled on a napkin.

Zina

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 12, 2007, 02:14:30 AM

okay, the story goes that once there was pixar, and it did toy story which rocked. disney obtained a controling intrest, and pixar was unhappy that disney kept telling them what to do, what not to do, and so fourth. then pixar split from disney, and it created a movie completely without disney influence, cars. then disney bought pixar outright, but now they are less controlling because they realize now that pixar knows what its doing, thus leading to ratatoulie and walle- the last of the 'original' pixar movies, all of which came from ideas from one fateful conversation at a diner and many of which were doodled on a napkin.

Yeah. I know.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Zina on December 12, 2007, 02:41:57 AM
Yeah. I know.

I know that YOU know, but do THEY know? *points at screen*

also, we are being watched
http://data.furaffinity.net/art/theblackmarket/1193691531.theblackmarket_stopmickey3.png

llearch n'n'daCorna

Cars wasn't that great.

Re-watchability is limited, IMO.

Whereas Lifted, say, I can watch - and laugh myself sick at - hundreds of times over. And that's only 10 minutes.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

GabrielsThoughts

Pixar, Touchtone, and ABC have the same CEO's as Disney. how does that make them a different company?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Zina

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 14, 2007, 10:38:30 PM

Pixar, Touchtone, and ABC have the same CEO's as Disney. how does that make them a different company?
It doesn't. But it also doesn't mean that Disney had anything to do with the creation of Pixar films.
"Lasseter and Catmull's oversight of both the Disney and Pixar studios did not mean that the two studios were merging, however. In fact, additional conditions were laid out as part of the deal to ensure that Pixar remains a separate entity, a concern that many analysts had about the Disney deal."
Pixar also has its own studio, separate from Disney.

Brunhidden

because disney eating pixar would just be a way of producing poop which is CG, so long as pixar remains its own entity i will be happy.... although they will still be told what to do by disney, and we may see 'disney endings' and the like as pixar may be repremanded for doing things like kill people or be mean.

ironic as original disney movies were full of death, violence, and orphans left in a world of tough shit. a REAL 'disney ending' should be the wicked witch being crushed by a three ton boulder and her corpse picked over by carrion birds, not the drivel that seems to happen at the end of what is otherwise an okayish movie.

Alondro

Scar got torn apart by hyenas and they were all then burned alive.

Awesome!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

bill

I liked that scene in Pinocchio when the guy turned into a donkey because it was freaking scary and traumatic when I was 5 years old.

also i have a transformation fetish and it totally gets me going yeah  :ipod