Holy Shinies!

Started by Siirenias, March 22, 2007, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirenias

The other day, I went into the bank to withdraw some cash to pay some bills while my checkbook is MIA, and decided to get a few $1 US Currency coins for good measure, to discover that they have made an entirely new one, last month!  I got 4.  They are awesome.  Anyone else seen the $1 coin with Liberty on the back?

Cvstos

Yep, saw 'em.  Even got a few when they first hit.  I doubt they'll catch on unless they drop the paper bill, but I like them.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

superluser

Did they actually make them so that the golden coloring won't wear down this time?

Also, are you sure you didn't accidentally buy a gold eagle?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cvstos

Question 1: No idea.

Question 2: Nope, they're new dollars being made by the US Mint.  They saw the success of the US State quarters thing and did it with the gold dollars.  Instead of states, though, it's the US Presidents, starting with Washington.  See here for more info.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

superluser

Quote from: Cvstos on March 23, 2007, 08:52:49 PMQuestion 2: Nope, they're new dollars being made by the US Mint.  They saw the success of the US State quarters thing and did it with the gold dollars.  Instead of states, though, it's the US Presidents, starting with Washington.  See here for more info.

I know.  I know.  I'm just rather surprised that they're already out.

Janus Whitefurr

Golden coins are the light and the way.

</Australian, used to $1 and $2 coins. And lots of sense... cents...? Sense.>
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Valynth

Eh, the main problem with coins=main currency is that it becomes relatively easy to produce counterfeit coins, because you can't install as many security features in a coin as in a bill.

Other countries, for example, use holographic imaging that is extremely difficult to mimic.  In Britain there was a metalic thread woven into various denominations of  pound notes to help detect counterfeits(I'm not sure what they have now).  You couldn't accomplish such things on coins.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Currently, they have a brand new 20 pound note that has a holographic image, which since it's shiny plays havoc with photocopiers.

They also have the usual multi-colour printing process, I -believe- they have the usual linen paper, and they have the perspex strip, which shows up in black when you photocopy it, but is nearly invisible when you look at the thing.

This is just from the 20 seconds or so I had looking at one my wife handed me while we were waiting at the checkout at the local supermarket, of course. Given some more time to look at it, and perhaps a few hints, there may well be more to find...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 24, 2007, 09:07:38 PMCurrently, they have a brand new 20 pound note that has a holographic image, which since it's shiny plays havoc with photocopiers.

Ooh!  Does it have the Eurion Constellation?  If that's the new £20 note at the Wikipedia page, I guess they do.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That appears to be the old £20 note. The new one might have, I'll let you know when I see another one.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears