Balcony gardening

Started by Vidar, February 26, 2007, 07:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidar

I live in an appartement with a rather long, and somewhat broad balcony on the southside of the building that has been empty for the past 2 or so years because I couldn't be bothered to do anything with it, until recently.
A change of working envirenment has meant that I have some extra time that would be well spent on doing something that doesn't involve a computer, so I decided to do something completely different: trying to grow fruits and veggies on my balcony.
I currently have 1 raspberry bush (that is still in the dead-looking brown stick fase), and a lot of empty space.
Does anyone have any luminous ideas about what else I could grow in a bucket/large-ish pot on a place that is likely to get quite a bit of sunlight, and doesn't mind high tempretures when the sun beats down upon it mercilessly?

Also, please keep in mind that I'm a complete and total n00b when it comes to plants, gardening, this whole "outside" thing with the day-star in the big blue room, etc.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Amber Williams

Strawberries.  I remember attempting to grow strawberries and raspberries once and it ended up with strawberries taking over the area.  Even after my mom tried to just plant normal grass over that area the little strawberrie sprouts would still crop up along the fenceline.

You cannot kill them...they shall rule all. D:

RJ

Um... tomatos?

:/ My gardening knowledge is very limited. I bet my bonsai curses at me while I'm asleep.

Gabi

Onions, potatoes and mint are quite easy to grow. I must warn you about mint, though. It requires a lot of water, but if it gets it, it will start reproducing and trying to take over all the land. But if you don't water the unwanted ones, they will dry out quickly. I grew corn once. It isn't hard, but doesn't last long.

Raspberries are hard to grow. They require a lot of care and tend to spread a lot without giving any flowers or fruits. You have to cut them down every winter so that only a small leafless trunk is left, and cut off the offsprings, planting them at least one foot (30 cm) away from their parent. And let them have a lot of sunlight. And even then you'll only get fruits if you're lucky, and only after at least 2 years.

Strawberries are more likely to give fruits, but as it has been mentioned, they're quite invasive.

And pumpkins are probably the most invasive of all.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

LionHeart

Aloe veras are quite good - I've had some success with them. Possibly too much success...

They handle high temperatures well, and they don't require a lot of fussing over.

The juice can be used on burns and insect bites. Just break off the end of a stem, and apply to the affected area.

Just keep in mind that they will need to be repotted as they get bigger. At which time you will discover that where you had one plant, you now have five or six...

Petunias are also good. Available in many different colours, and also don't need a lot of looking after. Just keep them watered, is all.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Gabi

Ah, yes, aloe veras grow quickly and if you plant two of them close to each other, all the land will soon be full of them.

LionHeart

I started with one.

At last count, I think I have about two dozen of them. All from the one original plant.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Zedd

Just dont break your neck up there

Ryudo Lee

You could grow yourself some red peppers.  My dad used to grow 'em in the front garden, and once convinced my older brother that the little green ones weren't hot at all.  >:3

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Vidar

Quote from: RyudoLee on February 26, 2007, 02:47:47 PM
You could grow yourself some red peppers.  My dad used to grow 'em in the front garden, and once convinced my older brother that the little green ones weren't hot at all.  >:3

What an evil bastard!  >:3
Have him feed your brother a bright red habanero next!  >:3

I've heard I can grow peppers from the seeds I find in store-bought peppers. Has anyone tried that?

Keep the good ideas coming, please.
The tomatoes and strawberries sound good. Let's see if I can score a climbing variety of strawberries. On a balcony vertical == good, horizontal == space consuming == bad.

The herbs are nice, though I'm afraid I will be using them faster then they grow.   :rolleyes

Petunias and such make for nice colours, but I'm looking for stuff I can eat / cook with.

I don't need to worry much about invasiveness in plants, since all my plants will be in separate pots.

And don't worry about me falling off the balcony. I'm afraid enough of hights that I will stay away from the edge far enough to not fall over.  :)
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Vidar on February 26, 2007, 03:14:52 PM
I've heard I can grow peppers from the seeds I find in store-bought peppers. Has anyone tried that?

I believe that is how my dad was growing them.  I have a friend who grows his own peppers (red peppers, habanero's, jalapeno's, etc), and then dries them to make his own pepper sauce.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Zorro

OK for a small garden you want things that are not really cheap at the store and benefit from being absolutely fresh.

The number one thing that fits the bill is the Tomato; whatever you do that is one item that just is better from the garden.

Okra, you will only need one or two plants because they produce a lot of pods.

Eggplant, very prolific.

Summer Squashes, zucchini is the best one, pick them when they are the size of your finger.

Bell peppers.

Cucumbers, prolific and far better very fresh.

Green onions, prolific and you will know for sure yours are fine to eat raw.

Two herbs, Rosemary is bullet proof and loves heat.  Basil is a lot like growing mint and in the same family.

Things to NOT try and grow out of pots.

Potatoes take a lot of space and are very cheap.  Corn, lots of space.  Garlic, regular onions, hot peppers, everything in the cabbage family and carrots just too cheap to bother growing yourself.

Radishes are very cheap but also super easy to grow so decide on that one yourself.

Hilary

I second the basil motion-- fresh leaves can be ridiculously expensive, but it's quite easy to grow and loves sunshine. If you grow more than you can use, the leaves are also tasty dried. (Very yummy on pizzas and in carbinara. And don't forget pesto.) ^^

Pole-type green beans (such as climbing beans) are space-conservative and delicious.

Gabi

Oh, pesto! Tasty, but you'll have to watch out for caterpillars. They love basil.