tinkertoy and lincoln logs making a comeback?

Started by Aridas, November 04, 2006, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

I swear I haven't seen these things in forever, and just now I was in Costco (You pay them to sell you things!) and there they were! Both in big metal canisters. Now, I don't know much about lincoln logs other than I've never seen them before, but tinker toy was something I had as a kid but never saw in any stores late in my childhood. (when you could browse the toy aisles alone on days other than christmas without feeling like a moron.)

I'm currently deciding on whether I should buy some for the kids for christmas while they're still on the shelf (My sisters each have 2 boys... I can't wait to watch them play SSB against each other.) or get them some lame toy...

xHaZxMaTx

I ave some Lincoln Logs, and my friend has some Tinker Toys.  They both rock. :D  (And they're both reasonably new.)

Aisha deCabre

Lincoln Logs?  Man, that brings me back.  I've played with those alot when I was a kid.  Of course, with a toy that had a bunch of pieces to it, at one point or another one of the pieces went missing...and me being picky I could never play with something if a piece was missing.   :mowtongue

Still, they were fun.  Kids should have those at one point or another.   :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Cogidubnus

Ah. Lincoln logs, legos, and K'nex. The tools of young geniuses everywhere.

Used to mess with them for hours. Not that I ever made anything useful, mind. Just many hours of tinkering, twisting, and experimentation. Those were the days...

I think I've still got a box of lego's somewhere around here. Heh.

Kitsune Ascendant

lincoln logs,  knex, robotix, and legos: the greatest toys of childhood, and I'll still mess around with my knex and and legos every now and then. I lost much of the robotix pieces, though. it makes me sad, since that was one of my faves.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Aridas

I remember when K'nex was first advertised on TV for me. I had to get it or I would DIE. then they had the battery powered dinosaur things and I had to have them or i'd DIE. Then there was the solar powered crap, and I had to have it or i'd DIE. Lastly there was the roller coaster set... and I had to have that or I'd DIE. Unfortunately, I didn't get the roller coaster set, and now look at me. I'm not dead, but I have no roller coaster k'nex set :<

Zedd

Robotix,K'nex,Stickle bricks,Erector Sets and Construx! ...Ah it was all fun!

Alondro

*builds little Lincoln log houses*  Weeeee!  *sees people looking!*  Ack!  Uhm... they're for my nephew... who'll be born in... a couple years... I think..  I'm just testing them to make sure they work right and won't explode or something. :animesweat 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Nikki

Lincoln logs!!!

FUNFUNFUUUUUUUUUN!!!

>w< i used to have some before i got really bored and chewed them all up X3

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Dakata

I miss my lincoln logs and legos. :<

:C Building little cities and pretending to be Godzilla was fun.

xHaZxMaTx

Aw man, Lego's pwn all others.  I made an AH64 Apache Helicopter, and a P-51 Mustang (WWII).  Unfortunately they've been disambled. :<

Nikki

Quote from: Dakata on November 04, 2006, 08:46:44 PM
I miss my lincoln logs and legos. :<

:C Building little cities and pretending to be Godzilla was fun.

i know!! it was even funner to build them all up, and have your parents be all pround them have them watch you  be Godzilla :D

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

xHaZxMaTx

Oh right, I also have some K'Nex, I made a rollercoaster.  Probably because that's what the instructions told me to do. xD  But it was still really cool. :>  But I added my own little twist, quite literally. :P

DigitalMan

Man, I used to have both, a long long time ago. Eventually I graduated to Legos and K'Nex. I still play with Legos... but don't tell anyone :shifty

Alondro

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on November 04, 2006, 09:07:08 PM
Aw man, Lego's pwn all others.  I made an AH64 Apache Helicopter, and a P-51 Mustang (WWII).  Unfortunately they've been disambled. :<

*awws*  You're Lego's should be put on 'disambility' pensions.   *disassembled is the word you were looking for*

Misspellings are fun for puns!   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

xHaZxMaTx

Yes, well...  I blame this stupid laptop keyboard! D:

Nikki

never eat legos.

i learned that when i was 6 XD

xHaZxMaTx

Never leave them on the ground where they can be stepped on either. D:

TheGreyRonin

Being a packrat sometimes is a good thing. I still have four or five canisters of the original Tinkertoys from when I was a kid around here somewhere.

I made sure my stepson had a few sets of Lincoln Logs. He spent more time with them than all the blinking-lights, whiz-bang toys he owned put together. *grins*

As for Legos...I came across those as an adult. I still tinker with them here and there, especially when I'm thinking.

Aridas

I wish I could still by sta-lox. think lego, but specifically for houses and buildings and such. bricklike things with doors and windows, and card roofing. fairly sturdy work, though it was made of soft plastic so that made it, for structures, both hard to break and easy to break at the same time... but I can almost guarantee a dropped sta-lox house won't come to pieces. wow, what an old toy that is. ;>.>

Wildy

I loved my legos, never had lincoln logs much intill later when I bought myself a set. I made a barn for my toy horses and then glued the logs together so that it would never come apart! XD I used to make my dad and older brother build me lego houses for my ponies because they were better at it than I was.

Another thing I used to love were those big cardboard boxes shaped and painted as bricks. We used to make forts out of when I stayed a friend's house. I never had any myself but she always had a ton of them. Unfortunately they are quite large and require a lot of space. Thus we used to use her living room. We'd put blankets over the tops and make tunnels and such.

Good good fun.

King Of Hearts

log, log, log. It's big, it's heavy it's wood~

Loved Legos, I used to complement them with those duplo blocks when I want to mak a huge structure.

Alondro

*build a Lego warp drive*  Oh no!  A core breach!  Anti-Lego containment field breached! *is bombarded by an explosion of Kinex*   :giggle

Mel Dragonkitty

My youngest brother had both lincoln logs and some off-brand non-legos (may have been the sta-lox things Aridis mentioned). I don't think the legos were ever used to build buildings, but the green roof boards made good levers to hurl lincoln logs at the non-lego houses until they broke apart. I'd say something about little boys and seige engines but he kept doing it all through college.  :)
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Little" is a state of mind, not a physical description. :-P
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Vidar

I once had a lego set that was about 1.5 times smaller then regular lego, was very limited (only 1x1, 1x2, and 1 x 4 bricks + various roof-like things, rather drably colored in grey, grey-ish red, and a dull blue). It wasn't compatible with any other lego either. Still, it was lego: it had the lego-logo on the bricks, like any other lego. Maybe it was some sort of prototype lego or something.
I made a space-ship out of the stuff, then left it for better things.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</