A question about patches

Started by Eboreg, September 13, 2013, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

A short while back, we saw a QFTR saying that magical sex changes are taken very seriously in Furrae and are all but permanent. However, I have been considering another way that a sex change could happen within the rules of the Furrae universe. The basic idea is Jyrras's patches perform that change since the basic idea behind them is that they are a temporary but quick way to modify the genome of the patch-wearer. Would it be that hard to make one that switches around a small chromosome or are the physical changes too overbearing for that kind of magic?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Amber Williams

Patches actually work on a somewhat similar nature to shapeshifting, in that it is all primarily aesthetic.   The easiest way to explain it would be that unlike a Cubi who has to have the mental know-how and mental calculations done in their head...the patch has done all the math for the wearer in advance so when they put it on, they don't have to actively do anything themselves other than supply the energy which the average person is more than able to simply by proxy of being alive.   It would not be able to modify something so complex.  It could give all appearances of the opposite gender, but much like Cubi shapeshifting, it would all be aesthetic.

The general rule of thumb I go by is "if the effect can be removed by the person going unconcious/patch removed/spell cast on them..." then it's not going to ever affect anything more than the aesthetic of things. Because quite frankly I have seen far too many terrible fanfictions where the person was all "harde hurr...you transformed into a female for a disguise...AND NOW YOU'RE PREGNANT.  Now I'm going to write 5 chapters about it and be really creepy."  and I would rather be a jerk and make it so such things are an impossibility in my world. 

LionHeart

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 13, 2013, 02:02:59 PM... quite frankly I have seen far too many terrible fanfictions where the person was all "harde hurr...you transformed into a female for a disguise...AND NOW YOU'RE PREGNANT.  Now I'm going to write 5 chapters about it and be really creepy."  and I would rather be a jerk and make it so such things are an impossibility in my world. 
Clearly you underestimate the fanfic writers, if you think that will stop them...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: LionHeart on September 13, 2013, 09:47:57 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on September 13, 2013, 02:02:59 PM... quite frankly I have seen far too many terrible fanfictions where the person was all "harde hurr...you transformed into a female for a disguise...AND NOW YOU'RE PREGNANT.  Now I'm going to write 5 chapters about it and be really creepy."  and I would rather be a jerk and make it so such things are an impossibility in my world. 
Clearly you underestimate the fanfic writers, if you think that will stop them...

No. No, she doesn't. She's just optimistic and hopeful, which is one of the things we like about her. And you're ruining that. *glare*

Bad LionHeart. No cookie! ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: LionHeart on September 14, 2013, 02:11:30 AM
*BIIIG kitty eyes* Sowwwy...

You're a lion. How could you _not_ have big kitty eyes? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ichaerus

Sadly fanfic writers care little for writers intentions, well the majority anyway. the good ones though take into account the original writer's wishes and intents regarding the world and work within those boundries....

Jasae Bushae

In defense of fanfic writers though, ive seen some really good stories that explore that concept in a serious fashion and while goofy at times, make for a compelling read. Sadly, I cannot find a story to point at, at the moment, but its almost impossible to find a concept that cannot be made awesome with good writing.
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/