05/11/12 [DMFA #1351] - At last, she knows

Started by Tapewolf, November 05, 2012, 06:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpuppy23

Quote from: Lenglon on November 05, 2012, 02:51:03 PM

line 6: [blurred text] -> soul/sunk/look to/of ?unknown letter at start of a word? -> i'm guessing they're saying something bad about abel here, but it's crazy blurred.
line 7: has ca[blurred text] -> has caused -> nowhere near as blurred as the last one, but still difficult. i'd guess "abel has caused jyras too" or "abel/jyras has caused US too"

When I zoom in, line 6 looks like it says:
"Some of u? -> Some of Us.... blah blah blah.
Second word of line 7 looks like "cause" -> "has caused" ?

Lenglon

makes sense to me.

i'm still wondering who would send kria the letter though. i mean, who has a motive to keep her updated on these things?

Lying Foo

Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 05, 2012, 03:49:24 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 05, 2012, 12:15:08 PM
 She also knows that Abel hasn't really had the chance to off Merlitz.

That would be incorrect.  Wildy doesn't live at Lost Lake nor spend all her time keeping records of Abel's activity.  So there are a few gaps of time where Abel could have easily skittered off and done other things without anyone being aware of it.

For example, there was that time she was away on a littered island (for how long plus travel time back?)
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

YawnPB

IMO it looks like a tabloid magazine, and Kria might just have a subscription.  Just sitting down to check her mail with the morning coffee.  Then oh look, Abel... what have you gotten yourself into.  Last thing any mom adoptive or otherwise wants to see is their kid in the tabloids.

Though the paper might also be trying to downplay Jy's threat level.  Look he didn't invent anything he "stole" it from the mysterious cubi!  Without seeing his secret lab not many would believe the stuff he's actually made. 

Technically... is Dark Pegasus a unicorn now even though it's an implant?

Lurkus Wallflowerus

Starcat5

Quote from: YawnPB on November 06, 2012, 08:40:00 PM

Technically, Unicorns are a class of Being who are always born with an affinity for magic. Of course, since Beings with magic are common as dirt anyway, that means they aren't all that special.

Also, since DP is a Demon, he wouldn't be classified as a Unicorn even if he had been born with that horn.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Eli_In_Chains

Quote from: Starcat5 on November 07, 2012, 07:32:29 AM

Technically, Unicorns are a class of Being who are always born with an affinity for magic. Of course, since Beings with magic are common as dirt anyway, that means they aren't all that special.

Also, since DP is a Demon, he wouldn't be classified as a Unicorn even if he had been born with that horn.

This says it's not even that. Some can do magic, not all.

Starcat5

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on November 07, 2012, 05:32:10 PM
Quote from: Starcat5 on November 07, 2012, 07:32:29 AM

This says it's not even that. Some can do magic, not all.
Hmm... Misread that page, I guess. Good catch. So Horse Beings who have trouble wearing hats.  :P
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Starcat5 on November 07, 2012, 05:37:11 PM
Hmm... Misread that page, I guess. Good catch. So Horse Beings who have trouble wearing hats.  :P

Well, not if it was a ten-gallon hat...... :3

Eli_In_Chains

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on November 07, 2012, 07:02:02 PM

But that only if they wore it canted forward, since their horns don't just point straight up.

joshofspam

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on November 08, 2012, 12:41:23 AM
Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on November 07, 2012, 07:02:02 PM

But that only if they wore it canted forward, since their horns don't just point straight up.

Eh, cut outs in normal hats and scarfs and stockings sound like ways that they might apply headgear.

Besides, Ten gallon hats are just weird.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Eboreg

Of course, Jyrras wasn't using 'Cubi magic to make the patches. He was using Fae magic.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Hanii Puppy

Quote from: ChaosMageX on November 05, 2012, 10:10:54 AMor using very good optical camouflage magic to essentially make themselves and their camera invisible.

An invisible camera wouldn't be able to take photos; The lens wouldn't do anything and the film/receptor(s) wouldn't pick up anything

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Eboreg on November 08, 2012, 03:13:26 PM
Of course, Jyrras wasn't using 'Cubi magic to make the patches. He was using Fae magic.

the person to write the article dosn't know that. nor does the reader OF said article. (unless we're talking about one of the main cast of course)
also, 'cubi magic just sounds more... believable.. they're known for shape-shifting. Fae, not so much

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on November 09, 2012, 09:36:10 AM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on November 05, 2012, 10:10:54 AMor using very good optical camouflage magic to essentially make themselves and their camera invisible.

An invisible camera wouldn't be able to take photos; The lens wouldn't do anything and the film/receptor(s) wouldn't pick up anything

way to ruin it Mr. Science

i did know that already though. just didn't expect anyone to point it out.

joshofspam

I also kind of like this page for the way it shows Nite gradually leaning his chair to give Wildy a closer look at what he's holding up for her to see.

The panel below that also remind me just how small Wildy and Jyrras are to everyone else.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Pvblivs

Well, Merlitz left right after Dan's return from the academy; and Abel has been reliably present in the vicinity of the inn.  That is reasonable evidence that Abel didn't go out looking for Merlitz.  Wildy basically trusts Dan that the note was genuine and Merlitz left of his own volition.  Wildy can be confident Abel didn't kill Merlitz for lack of opportunity.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: KiloFoxx on November 09, 2012, 10:55:16 AM
i did know that already though. just didn't expect anyone to point it out.

So... you're saying you're ChaosMageX as well as KiloFoxx? Just to check here, but you're posting about breaking the rules in front of the mods, right?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

tracer

QuoteAn invisible camera wouldn't be able to take photos; The lens wouldn't do anything and the film/receptor(s) wouldn't pick up anything
There are many ways to make something invisible :) It could be camouflaged as an innocent-looking lamppost. Or it could have a mind control spell that forces victims to ignore it. Or to forget they saw it.

Or the simplest solution: the reporter could have used a long-focal lens.

TacticalError

Quote from: tracer on November 10, 2012, 06:23:52 AM
QuoteAn invisible camera wouldn't be able to take photos; The lens wouldn't do anything and the film/receptor(s) wouldn't pick up anything
There are many ways to make something invisible :) It could be camouflaged as an innocent-looking lamppost. Or it could have a mind control spell that forces victims to ignore it. Or to forget they saw it.

Or the simplest solution: the reporter could have used a long-focal lens.

Well, really, that's disguising it, not making it invisible. Although there's the whole 'if no-one can see it, isn't it invisible?' line...

Naldru

Quote from: Lenglon on November 06, 2012, 04:37:20 PM
makes sense to me.

i'm still wondering who would send kria the letter though. i mean, who has a motive to keep her updated on these things?

If this was a tabloid in our real world  (As much as tabloids deal with the real world), my assumption would be that the magazine sent her a copy in hopes of getting a somewhat printable response.  Of course a fiery response from Kria and Pyroduck together with legal actions from Jyrras's mother might be more than they can handle.  With regard to the treatment of tabloids and sensationalist television, I personally prefer the treatment of Jerry Springer Spaniel in Suburban Jungle and Kevin and Kell.

With regard to the discussion of invisibility, may I refer people to the Mystery Science Theatre theme song.  (The part where it says "It's only a show".)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Eli_In_Chains

Ah, yes, the old MST3K mantra. Definitely a handy thing to keep in mind; who cares if the answer is nothing more than "A wizard did it"?

Of course, I think the first use of a similar concept was by Shakespeare (as can be expected of most anything), where he reminded this audience that it is but a play. Wasn't that Midsummer Night's Dream? ...*too lazy to look up an exact quote*

Tuyu

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on November 09, 2012, 09:36:10 AM
By that reasoning, a person using invisibility magic wouldn't be able to see. The hard thing about using an invisible camera would likely be aiming and focusing it.

With regard to Abel and Aniz--Aniz was identified as Siar in the adventurer's database entry for Quintinga, and there's Abel's clan mark on the front page.  So if there's anyone around who would put that kind of obscure information together, the facts are there and waiting.

Lying Foo

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on November 11, 2012, 09:42:21 PM
Of course, I think the first use of a similar concept was by Shakespeare (as can be expected of most anything), where he reminded this audience that it is but a play. Wasn't that Midsummer Night's Dream? ...*too lazy to look up an exact quote*

That was actually because of the pagan overtones: in those days, people still took belief in fairies semi-seriously, and the censor didn't want to be seen as endorsing it in an England that was already in a bitter theological divide.

Or you may be thinking of Fabian's line from Twelfth Night, in regard to Malvolio falling for his prank: "if this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction."
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.