7/26/09 [Abel Story pt.2 #62] Why so serious?!

Started by Lisky, July 25, 2009, 11:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpottedKitty

Oookay, the creepy just went up a level or three. Put together with what Amber said about Oolong's "rabbit puppet", this sudden (to us) friendliness — if that's the right word — presses all my run-away-now buttons. It really says something about what 'Cubi consider normal that Abel seems to be taking the situation so calmly. I wonder, though... how many years? Just a couple? Decades? Could Mink have been talking at to Abel non-stop for a century or more?
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Lucheek

Does anybody remember that scene in TeenTitans (the cartoon) where Robin tries to smile on some date...?

I think we're going to get a scene like that.

Dagardo

Quote from: Lucheek on July 26, 2009, 12:29:17 PM
Does anybody remember that scene in TeenTitans (the cartoon) where Robin tries to smile on some date...?

I think we're going to get a scene like that.

Only thing that comes to mind is Robin being forced to date some Kitten chick or else the city gets eaten by bugs, or something like that, then they win and Robin finishes said "date" with Starfire... Are we even thinking of the same show by chance?

Though I can't really think that Abel would smile just cause someone is prodding him to, seems like the most he'd do is leave the area, seeing as how his facial expression seem to say as much.

Zedd

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on July 26, 2009, 12:02:36 AM
Goddamnit, that last panel is reminding of something I can't quite grasp ahold of AGAIN. *shakes fist of futility*

I'm getting that song Smile darn ya smile from Toon Town...

Pendolse

I think it's interesting that the library in the Abel Arc is different from the Library in the wallpaper.

The Library Incident seems to be a pivotal point in Abel's life, IMO.

Naldru

It is not unusual for women to occasionally want to redecorate where they live.  And when you live is so closely associated with your  own identity, the idea of women changing their appearance would go along with the same concept.  I would also find it possible for the library's appearance to vary according to Oolong's mode, and the wallpaper may be just after the library incident.  (Since the incident involved Abel being banned from the library, I would imagine that Oolong would be somewhat upset.)

As far as the library incident occurring in the story, I could see something like Oolong saying to Abel, "I can't see you doing anything that would get me upset."  The next frame would be Fa'lina and Abel in front of the library with the sign "No Abel", with Fa'lina saying something like "I don't think she meant it as a challenge".

Edit:

Regarding Teen Titans episode, here is what I remember.

Killer Moth's daughter (Kitten) throws a tantrum and demands that her father get her Robin as a date for the prom.

Killer Moth threatens to destroy the city with his horde of giant insects unless Robin invites Kitten to be his date at the prom.  (At first, Starfire thinks that a prom is a duel to the death and is all for it.  When she learns that it is a date,  she is very unhappy.)  Since the Teen Titans are unable to stop the giant insects at that time, Robin agrees to the date as a means to save the city.

When Robin shows up for the date with Kitten, he has a very unhappy look on his face.  Kitten says "Would it kill you to smile" and Robin replies "It might".

During the prom, her jealous boyfriend shows up (He has a giant spider with spider legs for a head.) and general mayhem ensues.  The rest of the Titans search out Killer Moth's home to stop the giant insects.  In the end the Titans win and Kitten and her boyfriend are taken into custody by the police while the ambulances carry out several of the other attendees at the prom who have been hit by paralyzing spider venom.

Starfire apologizes to the paralyzed attendees and tells that the venom will wear off soon.  One of the attendees says don't worry about it and that his has been one of the best prom parties in school history.  (Don't know if this is because it was so memorable or that the past proms were real ultra disasters.)

I can't believe that this is all from memory.  I need a life.

Second edit:

http://www.tv.com/Teen+Titans/Date+With+Destiny/episode/290922/recap.html?tag=content_wrap;episode_recap
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

SpottedKitty

The only difference is the colour scheme, and since Oolong mentioned "her new colour" yesterday, it seems to be something she can do whenever she feels like a change. Or perhaps, given what Amber said the other day, whenever she wants to make one of the students or staff freak out in a particularly spectacular way. Remember, "her sense of humour is a bit warped". If Fa'lina tolerates letting someone like Ink or Destania loose on the students without objections — most of the time, anyway — I shudder to think what Oolong's done to earn that description.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

ChaosMageX

The way Abel's acting reminds of early on when Fa'lina temporarily disabled his ability to feel emotions.
If he's shutting them out on his own now by feeding on them himself, that probably means we're getting close to his emo-goth phase, and I can't wait for that. :3

Icon by Sunblink

Janus Whitefurr

The smile I envision from the idea he'll do one? More like the one from Terminator 2 (at least, in the director's cut / extended / special / whatever they call it edition) where John tells the T800 to smile, and it analyses someone else and then does the widest, creepiest cheesy grin ever.

</2c>
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Akisohida

She has such a creepy attitude but her mannerisms strike me as genuinely friendly, you know? Creepy..but friendly. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Timothy

Hmm ... just from panel 3 in Abel #62 I had the impression she was overall friendly too.
I wouldn't take her as creepy ... just black humored and somewhat unfamiliar with "normal" emotions.
(Probably has to be expect from something that "is" a whole library?)

Very interesting new character in the story.

Edit: ups ... I had missed Ambers explanation in Abels#61 topic ... explains alot.
*If in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout*

Caswin

Teen Titans: I remember that scene!

Kitten: ...and would it kill you to smile?
Robin: >:] Maybe.

I just realized that that might be a subtle homage to a deleted scene from Terminator 2.  Or not.

In other news, if Oolong is right, I may know more people like Mink than I thought.  Those poor, misguided, just-barely-impossible-to-retaliate-against fools.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.