Life-Sized Gundam in Tokyo

Started by JackLee1978, June 14, 2009, 06:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackLee1978

superluser

Oh, I heard about this.

They set it on fire at the end of the festival, right?

/Seriously, it's pretty cool.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Teroniss

I'm not sure what this does more of; impressing or disturbing me......

On one hand, it is epicly awesome and makes me wish they'd put this kind of talent to making real giant robots.

The other hand, it disturbs me that they'd actually put the time and money into something like this -.-

Janus Whitefurr

Last I'd heard they weren't going to finish it for some reason. Good old RX-78 Gundam.

As for Teroniss, pff. Maybe it IS a real giant robot and they're just hiding the secret~
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Teroniss

Good point. I knew those crazy Japanese were plotting to take over the world. Now it is finally coming to pass.  :erk

King Of Hearts

Kind of a pity they are disassembling it in August... I was hoping they would make it a more permanent attraction. [Though I think they'll be just moving it elsewhere]

Keleth

I've been informed that it's being dissembled and moved to the Gundam theme park at the base of Mt. Fujji.
Help! I'm gay!

Tezkat

So... in 30 years nobody else has bothered to make a life-sized Gundam? What have all the fanboys been doing with their time? :animesweat

Still awesome, though... :kittycool
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on June 15, 2009, 03:41:40 PM
So... in 30 years nobody else has bothered to make a life-sized Gundam? What have all the fanboys been doing with their time? :animesweat

... trying to figure out how to make one without it collapsing under it's own weight... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 15, 2009, 05:07:32 PM
Quote from: Tezkat on June 15, 2009, 03:41:40 PMSo... in 30 years nobody else has bothered to make a life-sized Gundam? What have all the fanboys been doing with their time? :animesweat
... trying to figure out how to make one without it collapsing under it's own weight... ;-]

That's not necessarily that hard, since you're not replicating the insides.  Granted, if you made it out of lead or something, you'd have a problem, but they're probably using lightweight steel or something.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Valynth

And how to get it to move more than ten steps without needing massive repair and/or maintenance.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Suwako

Quote from: Valynth on June 16, 2009, 01:59:58 AM

And how to get it to move more than ten steps without needing massive repair and/or maintenance.

But those are the lighter challanges because we must not  forget that the thing must get a sense of balance, which to date means that two legged androids still shuffle, and a shuffeling gundam is not a gundam.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Tytaj on June 16, 2009, 06:27:51 AM

But those are the lighter challanges because we must not  forget that the thing must get a sense of balance, which to date means that two legged androids still shuffle, and a shuffeling gundam is not a gundam.

But it could be part of the Shuffle Alliance!
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Suwako

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 16, 2009, 08:27:30 AM

But it could be part of the Shuffle Alliance!

...I think Japans enemies would die from laughter.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tytaj on June 16, 2009, 06:27:51 AM
But those are the lighter challanges because we must not  forget that the thing must get a sense of balance, which to date means that two legged androids still shuffle, and a shuffeling gundam is not a gundam.

Mmm. Even BigDog is still four legs.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

Did ya ever think of using transparent aluminum?   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Keleth

Quote from: superluser on June 15, 2009, 07:22:00 PM
Quote from: Tezkat on June 15, 2009, 03:41:40 PMSo... in 30 years nobody else has bothered to make a life-sized Gundam? What have all the fanboys been doing with their time? :animesweat

That's not necessarily that hard, since you're not replicating the insides.  Granted, if you made it out of lead or something, you'd have a problem, but they're probably using lightweight steel or something.

Steel frame, Fiberglass overlay.

They explain this in the article :E
Help! I'm gay!

Alondro

They built it out of nanites... which will then crawl all over the city at night and turn everyone into the Borg!   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Alondro on June 18, 2009, 02:36:26 PM
They built it out of nanites... which will then crawl all over the city at night and turn everyone into the Borg!   D:

It's the RX-78-2, not the Turn A.

Valynth

Quote from: Alondro on June 16, 2009, 12:13:55 PM
Did ya ever think of using transparent aluminum?   :B

Sorry, even William Shatner had to face reality and get a toupee.

Live long and prosper fellow trekkie.

*can has that movie*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)