SNOW!!!!!

Started by Gabi, July 10, 2007, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

I know that using 5 exclamation marks means I'm crazy, but who wouldn't be after this?

IT SNOWED IN BUENOS AIRES!

It happened yesterday, while I was still in the USA. (Why did I have to miss the snowfall? But I got to see the snow!)

It hadn't snowed in Buenos Aires since 1918. It was all over the news. My mom told me that my dog would run over to the garden and come back covered in snow!

Most of it has melted by now, but I took photos!

From the plane
Snow-topped palm trees
Snow by the road
Some snow in my garden
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

techmaster-glitch

Whoa.

....Where's Buenos Aires? Never heard of it. :B

Kenji

*steals the snow and the mountains and the city and everything covered in the white ancestor of the snocone*

Gabi

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 10, 2007, 07:53:42 PM
Whoa.

....Where's Buenos Aires? Never heard of it. :B
It's the Capital of Argentina. In South America.

And it happened on our Independence Day, to boot!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Snow?

You're kidding.

... you're not kidding. Dang. -That- is unexpected.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kenji

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 10, 2007, 08:14:01 PM
Snow?

You're kidding.

... you're not kidding. Dang. -That- is unexpected.

I know, it's like Christmas in July.
Dangit Gabi, you swiped my jinglebell powers! D:

xHaZxMaTx

It only snows here about once every 10 years, but no snow since 1918?  ...Actually, I guess I should be surprised it's ever snowed there.

Azlan

Hmmm, it seems they have already started to initiate the weather changes, they will be coming soon...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

bill

I hope there's going to be an ice age, it means more skiing.  :boogie

nikename2

Well the seasons are inverted below the equator so I guess its not that surprising. Although that is still pretty cool.  ;)

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 10, 2007, 07:53:42 PM....Where's Buenos Aires? Never heard of it. :B

I would like to apologise on behalf of all USAns.

Though in his defense, our news media never ever run any stories about South America.  Not much from the BBC, either.  Any suggestions for good sources of news about S. America?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Gabi

Quote from: Xeksue on July 10, 2007, 08:44:03 PM
Well the seasons are inverted below the equator so I guess its not that surprising. Although that is still pretty cool.  ;)
It IS surprising, Xeksue. This is not a place where it normally snows in the winter, or at any time for that matter. Last time it snowed (before yesterday) was over 89 years ago. None of my grandparents had been born at that time.

Apology accepted, superluser, but let's make it just on behalf of those who didn't know, as I'm sure there were some who did.

For more news, you can check the Buenos Aires Herald, our local English-language newspaper. It's not one of the best I've read, but all others I know of are in Spanish. You could try to translate Clarín or La Nación.

superluser

Quote from: Gabi on July 10, 2007, 09:00:53 PMIt IS surprising, Xeksue. This is not a place where it normally snows in the winter, or at any time for that matter. Last time it snowed (before yesterday) was over 89 years ago. None of my grandparents had been born at that time.

For comparison, it would be like snow in Santa Barbara, CA, or Jacksonville, NC.  It happens, but not too frequently.  Actually, it looks like it snows in Buenos Aires even less than in those places!

Hope nothing died in your garden, Gabi.

Quote from: Gabi on July 10, 2007, 09:00:53 PMFor more news, you can check the Buenos Aires Herald, our local English-language newspaper. It's not one of the best I've read, but all others I know of are in Spanish. You could try to translate Clarín or La Nación.

Thanks!  It's a great jumping off point.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Wow thats pertty snow there but I do hope you stay nice and warm indoors

Eibborn

Hey, lucky! It must be a real treat for you to see snow in person. I gripe about snow a fair amount (in winter at least) but I appreciate that it must be really really awesome to see for the first time. Did you throw any snowballs? I bet the snow was perfect for it- it would be wet and sticky in a place as warm as that.  :3
/kicks the internet over

ITOS

Go snow!  :boogie

Soon the whole world will be covered in it. Silly humans think their greenhouse gases can stop the snow. >:3
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Gabi

I didn't get to throwany snowballs, there wasn't enough snow left by the time I arrived home. But I was told that some people had fun sliding on the day the snow fell.

You're welcome, superluser. Thanks for your interest. :) And my garden is fine.

Alondro

Ah, more snow in the Southern hemisphere!  South Africa has also had a strangely cold winter with record snowfall, ice storms and the like.

I like to keep track of world weather.  It's what makes me laugh at all the global warming nuts and their highly selective reporting.  It's going to end up looking as stupid as the global cooling fad in the 70's.  And wouldn't you know it, the ones touting global warming are some of the same people who fell for global cooling!

Antarctica used to be covered with tree ferns and the Arctic Ocean was once a temperate sea.  And conversely during the numerous ice ages (there wasn't just one, they were actually common events in the geologic timescale), most of Canada and the central US and Europe were at one point a giant glacier.  The climate has undergone dramatic swings in temperature and precipitation, often in short periods of time, and humans were too few (or not even around yet) to have had any influence.

The climate has never been and will never be constant.  Humans need to make their civilizations more adaptable...  and we need recycle some of the excess humans... for axle grease.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

nikename2

I concur, we could splice anchovie DNA into third world children and monopolize the robot oil industry!  >:3 [/Futurama]

Angel

Geez. I wonder how many people are gonna scream "Global warming"? Except, this would be more like global cooling.

But that is pretty cool.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Ryudo Lee

Last time it snowed down here was Christmas day a couple years ago, on my baby niece's very first Christmas.  Before that it was like ten years previous.  It was also the first time my brother in law had seen snow in his entire life, but he doesn't matter as much as the baby does.

The weather does some crazy things...

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

James StarRunner

I'll have to invite you to Canada sometime so you can see even more snow! ^_^

Still strange though... Snow on palms... weird... O_o

Cemalidor

*Back from a stressinduced hiatus*

Well, yes, i'seen the pictures in the news here in germany. ^^ What a pity that you missed the fun.. :sigh

Gabi

Quote from: James StarRunner on July 18, 2007, 11:25:42 PM
I'll have to invite you to Canada sometime so you can see even more snow! ^_^

Still strange though... Snow on palms... weird... O_o
It would be a pleasure. I've heard great things about Canada. And of course there's an added bonus of seeing a good friend again. :)