Oblivion [56k Unfriendly :B]

Started by Arcalane, May 07, 2007, 03:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

So we have a Morrowind thread, but I figured I'd avoid derailing it and make an Oblivion thread. I'm sure we had one before, but lost it to the mists of time. Or more precisely; threadnecro doubleplus ungood.

My character. Info is a little out of date as he's level 17 now. :>

Custom class. Major skills are Destruction, Heavy Armor, Light Armor, Blade, Security, Marksman and Armorer.

Yes, that is Daedric armour. There's a plugin that lets you use all sorts of otherwise ungettable armours (such as this Daedric armour) that one would not be able to wear normally. More precisely, it's Kynmarcher grade (better than a Churl's, worse than a Markynaz`) so pretty decent stuff, even if it weighs a metric asston. The only non-Daedric piece of gear there are the gauntlets, which are Mithril Gauntlets of Strength (+9) which I recently replaced with a pair of Orcish Gauntlets of Strength (+9) because the aforementioned pair kept breaking during combat.

Cookie to anyone who can guess which Daedric Shrine quest I just completed after those screenshots, by the way.

Where's the Unreal Tournament Announcer? I believe I'm due an "ULTRA-KILL!!" there. Or at the very least a "MULTI-KILL!" for six. Maybe seven. I think one of them fell over the railing and into the lava pool.

I believe this chap may have a sword lodged in his spleen. Or his liver. Or his kidneys. One of the three. Perhaps all three.

bill

Quote from: Sheridan on May 07, 2007, 03:47:10 PM
Where's the Unreal Tournament Announcer? I believe I'm due an "ULTRA-KILL!!" there. Or at the very least a "MULTI-KILL!" for six. Maybe seven. I think one of them fell over the railing and into the lava pool.
"Railing kill!"
[/obscure reference]

Ryudo Lee

My character has a full set of (enchanted) glass armor, and I've got a plugin that gives all glass armor a black fade.  Looks really nice.  What I do not like about Oblivion is the way they grouped most of the armor together.  In Morrowind you could enchant just about every single piece of armor individually.  Oblivion leaves you with fewer slots to put enchantments.

One of the plugins I particularly like is the one that makes all the plants and trees look a bit more lifelike.  The trees and the grass actually sway, and the water looks a whole lot more natural.

Having wasted a lot of time and effort into this particular addiction, I've maxed out my acrobatics skill so that I can jump across large bodies of water.  My khajit makes an excellent thief, especially after finishing Nocturne's quest.

I wonder how many people actually took the time to find all the Nirnroot in the game?

My roommate likes to strip his kills down and leave them in embarrassing poses.  I just like going in close to my kills and checking to see where the arrow went in (or sometimes out).  Sometimes I can catch them in the mouth or right between the eyes.  Once, I got a sneak attack kill through the enemy's hand.  Must've been so much of a shock that it killed him.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Arcalane

Quote from: RyudoLee on May 07, 2007, 03:56:42 PMMy roommate likes to strip his kills down and leave them in embarrassing poses.  I just like going in close to my kills and checking to see where the arrow went in (or sometimes out).  Sometimes I can catch them in the mouth or right between the eyes.  Once, I got a sneak attack kill through the enemy's hand.  Must've been so much of a shock that it killed him.

I tend to drag Daedra bodies off the ledges and landings and toss them into the lava pool at the bottom of the tower, but I've never checked to see if they actually hit the bottom.

Aisha deCabre

Huzzah, an Oblivion thread!   :U  Good, because the Morrowind one was making me want to play THAT again.  Lucky me it didn't totally.   :3  Both are good games, but honestly Oblivion has enough aspects that are better, to me.  The realistic physics, for one thing.  The fact that whether or not you hit something depends on your aim and control, and not your skill, for another.  And the Daedric quests are quite fun, more so since I got the strategy guide.

I recently started a new game on Oblivion, because in my last I ran into an unfortunate glitch which I'm going to watch for this time.  Namely, I put all of the weapons I ever acquired in one storage spot (much like myself, my character likes to collect things  :3 ) and came back after a quest to see that every single one of them disappeared.   :erk

That's the only real irk.  I hate glitches.   :mowdizzy
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tezkat

Quote from: RyudoLee on May 07, 2007, 03:56:42 PM
I wonder how many people actually took the time to find all the Nirnroot in the game?

Ugh. I gave up before I even got to 100. The elixirs really aren't worth the effort. Nirnroot poison isn't bad, though.

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 07, 2007, 04:49:33 PM
I recently started a new game on Oblivion, because in my last I ran into an unfortunate glitch which I'm going to watch for this time.  Namely, I put all of the weapons I ever acquired in one storage spot (much like myself, my character likes to collect things  :3 ) and came back after a quest to see that every single one of them disappeared.   :erk

That's the only real irk.  I hate glitches.   :mowdizzy

Yay for pack rats cats! :kittycool

It's not really a glitch. Some storage spots respawn/reset their contents every now and then--usually the ones that contain food or other alchemical ingredients. It's just a matter of figuring out which ones are safe for long term storage.

(There's also the dimensional pocket plugins, if you're into that sort of thing.)

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tezkat on May 07, 2007, 05:04:51 PM
Quote from: RyudoLee on May 07, 2007, 03:56:42 PM

Ugh. I gave up before I even got to 100. The elixirs really aren't worth the effort. Nirnroot poison isn't bad, though.

I did it just to get the quest out of my list.

I wonder though, has anyone actually bought any of the official mods that they made?

Toric

Last time I played Oblivion on 360 I recreated Chuck Norris. Breton (though I assume Nord would work just as well), Light armor, unarmed, mysticism so he could soul-trap and detect life (You just can't hide from this much awesome). Unarmed actually works pretty well since it attacks so quickly, just gotta keep your speed up. Got to level 8, unarmored critters went down easily, guys in heavy armor were just a matter of emptying their fatigue and then slamming them while they were on the ground.

But yeah, great game. Just wish my computer had a prayer of running it.
Yap by Silver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Toric on May 07, 2007, 05:09:27 PM
But yeah, great game. Just wish my computer had a prayer of running it.
That's why I went for Morrowind  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcalane

Quote from: Tezkat on May 07, 2007, 05:04:51 PM(There's also the dimensional pocket plugins, if you're into that sort of thing.)

I have one. I had to empty it out into one of the containers in the Knights of the White Stallion Lodge because it kept taking 4-5 seconds to load, which is not so good in the middle of a fight when one is scrabbling for Soul Gems to recharge one's favourite little toy of "No, don't even try blocking, it won't save your life" asskicking.

Aka Daedric Longsword (Att Power 12) + 20 Frost Damage on hit. I go through like... 3 fully charged high level soul gems each Oblivion Plane. But it's so worth it.

Reminder to self; enchant armour.

Reese Tora

Ah, Oblivion...

My level 20 something (23? 27? I forget) khajiit adventurer pwns everything.

I got my stealth skill maxed out (and security, though that with the aid of the skeleton key) so I just fire and forget a poisoned arrow.

On daedric armor... what you talking about, sheridan? if you get to a high enough level, that's what all the heavy armor wearers use, it just takes a bit of patience, like collecting glass armor I have yet to find someone with a glass helm in this run... good thing I knew where to pick up fin gleam :3 )

There are a few things I might miss from Morrowind, like enemies being stopped by doors(Vvardenfell door fighting >:3 ), but I loves me some Oblivion.

Of course, the farthest I've gotten in the main quest was to drop off that annoying amulet at the priory...
I've been spending my time elsewhere... Daedric artifacts, gotta catch 'em all :mwaha

I find the game becomes too easy once you have access to filled grand soul gems and the ability to cast a chameleon enchantment, as there's not much that can find you with 150% chameleon and maxed stealth. ;)

--edit--

oh, by the way, the only safe place to store stuff is to put it in a home that you own.  A player owned home is the only place in cyrodill, aside from your inventory, that doesn't get randomized after you've been gone for a while.  I always buy the cheap house in the imperial city and a few of the enhancements (most add containers to the house) so I have a place to store everything I don't want to carry around.

If you have access to some of the official plugins, or the world editer on PC, you can get some free places, though you still have to pay for enhancements that add containers to the official plugin houses.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Toric

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 07, 2007, 05:48:07 PM
There are a few things I might miss from Morrowind
*Cough*Levitation!*Cough*
Yap by Silver.

Arcalane

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 07, 2007, 05:48:07 PMOn daedric armor... what you talking about, sheridan? if you get to a high enough level, that's what all the heavy armor wearers use, it just takes a bit of patience, like collecting glass armor I have yet to find someone with a glass helm in this run... good thing I knew where to pick up fin gleam :3 )

Yes, and that's Kynmarcher armour, which isn't normally available for you to loot off of corpses. >:3

~~

Of course, now I have an actual set of Daedric gear (hax ftw) I am running around like a lunatic knocking off town guard squads. I currently have a respectable bounty of 34,080 with the Leyawiin Guard and Bruma Guard disposed of. :>

Leyawiin: Guards making decorative arrangements on the pavements outside the castle... with their own bodies.
Bravil: Devastated. Count also killed.
Skingrad: Est. 75% of guards killed. Rest hiding like little girls.
Anvil: Est. 50% of guards killed. Countess unkillable.
Chorrol: Devastated. Countess nowhere to be found. Numerous civilians killed or incapacitated.
Bruma: Devastated. Relics stolen.
Cheydinhal: Devastated. Castle personnel killed, guard annihilated.
Imperial City: Next stop. >:3

Currently; 95k bounty.

EDIT: At the end of my run, I acquired~ 135k in bounties. I had made decent headway into the Imperial City and stole the Boots of Springheel Jack from Jakben, Earl of Imbel (pickpocket'd), thusly starting a Thieves Guild quest when I'm not even IN the Thieves Guild. :B

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 07, 2007, 05:48:07 PM

oh, by the way, the only safe place to store stuff is to put it in a home that you own.  A player owned home is the only place in cyrodill, aside from your inventory, that doesn't get randomized after you've been gone for a while.  I always buy the cheap house in the imperial city and a few of the enhancements (most add containers to the house) so I have a place to store everything I don't want to carry around.

If you have access to some of the official plugins, or the world editer on PC, you can get some free places, though you still have to pay for enhancements that add containers to the official plugin houses.

MUCH appreciated.  :3  It's funny, after completing the main quest and that of the Knights of the White Stallion, I stored everything in the lodge.  Then I kinda "moved" when I became Archmage and took the time to carry things up to the chambers.

I sometimes wondered if the game were juuuust a bit more realistic.  I still went out on adventures and did the Daedric quests, and I KEPT the Staff of Worms (completion of the Mage's Guild, for those who don't know).  Rumors would be flying about me, the Archmage with an interest in necromancy and Daedric cults.  Ha!   >:3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Blazehawk

I'm just getting around to reinstalling after my reformat...got Shivering Isles though. :3 I had an awesome Dark Elf Nightblade that I will probably restart, but I'll probably also play some on my Elder Scrolls standard: a Nord Spellsword.

I'm also going to try to make a webcomic out of my adventures.  It will just be screenshots and such though, and I need to go about getting proper permission to do it, especially from the makers of the mods I'll be using. :P (is glad things like Actors In Charge exist)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Qeniheru on May 07, 2007, 11:51:30 PM
I'm just getting around to reinstalling after my reformat...got Shivering Isles though.
I understand there's a critical bug with that, although I believe there was a patch issued.  IIRC it's an overflow with one of the timers so it depends on how long you play it  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Janus Whitefurr

I'm just getting around to reinstalling after my reformat...got Shivering Isles though. :3

"Ta, visit again! Or I'll pluck your eyeballs out!"

Sheogorath <3
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Blazehawk

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 08, 2007, 04:04:45 AM
I'm just getting around to reinstalling after my reformat...got Shivering Isles though.
I understand there's a critical bug with that, although I believe there was a patch issued.  IIRC it's an overflow with one of the timers so it depends on how long you play it  >:3

I should be okay, between the SI patch plus the unofficial patch for the patch.  :B I hope.

Shivering Isles should be fun. I was hoping to have a dark elf in my webcomic who is a devout follower of Sheogorath, and just as nutty.   :P

Kinda off topic but I just had a horrible thought--daedric mows.  :U I'd play that mod.

Arcalane

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on May 08, 2007, 07:49:23 AM
I'm just getting around to reinstalling after my reformat...got Shivering Isles though. :3

"Ta, visit again! Or I'll pluck your eyeballs out!"

Sheogorath <3

I really do wonder what the Oblivion team were smoking when they thought up Sheogorath. :U

Still need to testfire Wabbajack on something it can hit (since it won't work on Daedra :<)

Ryudo Lee

Wabbajack is more of an amusing weapon for me.  Thought it's not as random as one would think.  Each creature that it can affect has a set creature it can turn into.  Still amusing though.

I once named a Malkavian character I played Sheogorath.

Blazehawk

Quote from: RyudoLee on May 08, 2007, 03:03:47 PM
Wabbajack is more of an amusing weapon for me.  Thought it's not as random as one would think.  Each creature that it can affect has a set creature it can turn into.  Still amusing though.

I once named a Malkavian character I played Sheogorath.

It needs to be like it was in Daggerfall, where one could easily turn a rat into a daedra seducer, or a number of infinitely amusing possibilities.  >:3

Arcalane

Well, according to UESPWiki, the change is random, but only between a set number of creatures; Daedroth, Skeleton Champion, Goblin Skirmisher, Troll, Ogre, Sheep, Deer, or Rat. (Ordered from the most likely to least likely, based on one set of tests).

Blazehawk

Quote from: Sheridan on May 08, 2007, 04:46:23 PM
Well, according to UESPWiki, the change is random, but only between a set number of creatures; Daedroth, Skeleton Champion, Goblin Skirmisher, Troll, Ogre, Sheep, Deer, or Rat. (Ordered from the most likely to least likely, based on one set of tests).

Pah, it should include the entire bestiary.  :B

Taerkar

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 07, 2007, 08:43:48 PM

MUCH appreciated.  :3  It's funny, after completing the main quest and that of the Knights of the White Stallion, I stored everything in the lodge.  Then I kinda "moved" when I became Archmage and took the time to carry things up to the chambers.

I sometimes wondered if the game were juuuust a bit more realistic.  I still went out on adventures and did the Daedric quests, and I KEPT the Staff of Worms (completion of the Mage's Guild, for those who don't know).  Rumors would be flying about me, the Archmage with an interest in necromancy and Daedric cults.  Ha!   >:3

That was put in partially in response to complains about Morrowind about how you'd be basically done with all the quests in the game and they'd be referring to you as outsider. There was an entire set of mods for Morrowind for no purpose OTHER than to recognize stuff like main storyline accomplishments, ranks in various guilds (Why people yell at me when I'm the grand master of the mage's guild? I have no idea), and so forth