hmm... firefox bad?

Started by Aridas, December 03, 2006, 11:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadesFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 11, 2006, 02:25:31 PM
Depends on how much you use it. I find Gimp works well for me, but I'm by no means a power user, so YMMV, and probably does.

As mentioned previously, those who -do- use Photoshop a lot tend to have lots of plugins for it, or are using the interface a lot. There -is- a plugin for Gimp that makes it look -very- much like PS, which may cover a lot of the differences. From what I've seen, it boils down to what you're used to, though I'll admit that makes more difference than you'd think.

just as an example, the shortcut keys for various things may be used back-to-back by a power user, to do half a dozen different flashing changes in seconds. Changing the interface on that will make it much more difficult to cope with.

Just my 2p, of course.

Actually, I think there is now a gimp plugin where the gimp can use PS plugins.  Though really the biggest thing will be the keyboard shortcuts.

Though I've always wondered about the price of software in general.  Especially when you consider the almost 0 marginal cost. 
The All Purpose Fox

Darkmoon

It's not 0 cost when it comes to salaries.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

ShadesFox

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 11, 2006, 04:47:57 PM
It's not 0 cost when it comes to salaries.

That is a fixed cost, not a marginal cost.

[edit]
there was more, but I rather don't want to derail the topic.  Though I'm still baffled about why photoshop would interfere with firefox.  I thought WinXP had a halfway sane VMM.
The All Purpose Fox

Netami

I use Photoshop with Firefox open all the time, I never experience any problems. Though I should note that I have switched the Scratch Disk to another hard-drive, and this may alleviate the issue.

Darkmoon

It prolly would. I only have the one drive.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

xHaZxMaTx

I always have Firefox and Photoshop open without any problems.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hmm. It's possible the two apps are screaming over who gets to write to the FS first.

Perhaps lay your hands on a small second drive to shove scratch info on?

... is it possible the machine (either yours or Amber's) is running out of swap space and scratch space when both memory-hungry apps are running? I mean, I'd expect the new machine to not have too many troubles, but...

..... should we keep kicking ideas around, or just drop it and find something else to talk about? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ShadesFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 11, 2006, 06:38:20 PM
Hmm. It's possible the two apps are screaming over who gets to write to the FS first.

Perhaps lay your hands on a small second drive to shove scratch info on?

... is it possible the machine (either yours or Amber's) is running out of swap space and scratch space when both memory-hungry apps are running? I mean, I'd expect the new machine to not have too many troubles, but...

..... should we keep kicking ideas around, or just drop it and find something else to talk about? :-)

I say we keep kicking around ideas.

I'm not entirely sure that it is a memory problem.  I'm really starting to think that photoshop is missing with some global setting that it really shouldn't.
The All Purpose Fox