Jealousy takes hold (11-2-06)

Started by Madd the Sane, November 02, 2006, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

So Devin was jealous of Abel's attention?  Poor poor kid  :tired
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Roureem Egas

Hmm...

I agree with the sentiments there. Must've been tough.

Zedd

Should had figured that would happened but i hope send some warm hugs for him...

RJ

Aw... who thought such a cute kid would grow up to be... well... yeah >.>

ITOS

Flash-back over? I wonder what Abel's reaction will be.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Zorro

Taross

I don't think he was jealous at the attention per-se; things run deeper than that.

Abel's got two parents, he has caretakers.
Abels parents love him, his ran off and the last one cursed him and said he'd be better of dead...

komissarmakarov

Quote from: Taross on November 02, 2006, 02:39:50 AM
I don't think he was jealous at the attention per-se; things run deeper than that.

Abel's got two parents, he has caretakers.
Abels parents love him, his ran off and the last one cursed him and said he'd be better of dead...

The deepest of cuts, eh?  :cry Poor Devin...

Aisha deCabre

Well...Devin definitely has the right to be a jerk.  Not to say that it could have been worse for him though...hard to imagine, but it could have been.  At least he's lived to grow old enough to make happiness for himself.

On a lighter note, someday I'm definitely learning how to do Sepia for comics...I love the effect on photographs.

Or I could just be lazy and turn everything grayscale in Photoshop after coloring it.    :U
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

ITOS

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on November 02, 2006, 04:28:41 AM
Well...Devin definitely has the right to be a jerk.

So he had a hard time. Does that give him the right to give everyone else a hard time?

Maybe I misinterpret you but I think this just gives us a reason to why he's acting like a jerk, not an excuse.

</itos>
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: ITOS on November 02, 2006, 04:40:49 AM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on November 02, 2006, 04:28:41 AM
Well...Devin definitely has the right to be a jerk.

So he had a hard time. Does that give him the right to give everyone else a hard time?

Maybe I misinterpret you but I think this just gives us a reason to why he's acting like a jerk, not an excuse.

</itos>

Well, yeah, I didn't mean it as an excuse.  I was just saying.   :mowtongue It's not like people who know of someone with a life like that expects them to be all happy-sunshine.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Zedd

All I can say...The lad needs help now...

ShiningShadow

Yeah but I have a theory here. What if Devin was not looking at Abel's family but at Abel's father think about this cid is Devin's dad that walked out on him.

DigitalMan

Well, that clarifies many things. I think.

And doesn't PShop have an automatic sepia-tone function? :B

ShiningShadow

I think that's it. Devin being close to Abel even as kids doing bad things to hurt him. To hurt his real father *ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh* Devin knows this from what I suspected that his mother described his father in detail.

willow186129

So sad and I really wanna give Devin a hug o_o Poor kid... :cry

But Cid in a flowery hat is priceless X3

I don't know....but I think if Cid really were Devin's father and Devin knew it, his reaction would probably be more shocked or angry than a little depressed.

ShiningShadow

But I think it's more anger and to get at his father is to torment his other son Abel.

Magic

That's a bit far fetched and it still wouldn't explain why he was sad instead of angry in the comic.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Ink on November 02, 2006, 07:49:06 AM
That's a bit far fetched and it still wouldn't explain why he was sad instead of angry in the comic.

Think about this if your dad walked out on you and your mom is spouting off that you are responsible for her misfortune  and you lived and went off your your aunt and uncle no love. But suddenly you see a family all happy and content and the father you recognized as the father who walked out on you from the description from your mom before she went psyco on you. Then you take out his offspring in very evil ways which is your anger. Remember anger is something that is a very deep hurt . That's what is anger is all about.

DigitalMan

Technically, anger its self doesn't have to come from any kind of deep hurt. I'm perfectly capable of going thermonuclear on any random idiot, no pain required. You may be thinking more towards hatred.

Also, we know that Amber is capable of making these characters express emotion precisely. If Devin were mad, he'd look mad. If he were surprised, he'd look surprised. And I can imagine exactly how that last frame would look if that were the case. But he's just sad, which grows into jealousy. It's pretty clear that "Hey... that guy there is my father!" is not what's going through his head.

Alondro

Well, we don't know if Cid is Devin's dad or simply his father's brother at this point.  Or if the relation is actually to his mother.  The actual lineage hasn't been spelled out, and too many of the characters have the ear-tufts to be sure who is who's direct sibling.   :3  Or maybe it's like the Pineys in NJ and they're all each other's cousin... and uncle, and aunt... at the same time...  :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Madmann135

Devin is jealous pure and simple.  Jealousy makes men do strange things.

I'm jealous of a few friends of mine but I try not to show it.
And my jealousy is of some of the simple things.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tait-Fox

Ouch... that has to be hurtful... first your dad leaves, your mom says she hates you then dies, then you live with people that don't love you but know they must take care of you.

Hes envious of Abel... he wants Abel's family, or to be in Abel's family.

DigitalMan

It should also be noted that even jealousy doesn't require deep pain.

*watches the neighbor clear his lawn of leaves in seconds with some odd snowblower-like machine* muttermuttergrumble...

And what is with all the ear-tufts? That does make it confusing :dface

Roureem Egas

Quote from: DigitalMan on November 02, 2006, 11:11:13 AM
It should also be noted that even jealousy doesn't require deep pain.

*watches the neighbor clear his lawn of leaves in seconds with some odd snowblower-like machine* muttermuttergrumble...

And what is with all the ear-tufts? That does make it confusing :dface

I think that was the point there. :3

If it wasn't confusing, it probably wouldn't be all that fun for Amber to watch us run around with one theory or another, since we'd probably be closer to what she planned.

Kenji

Obviously eartufts are just Furrae's version of muttonchops. Obviously.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: FireKatKid on November 02, 2006, 11:15:38 AM
Obviously eartufts are just Furrae's version of muttonchops. Obviously.

Really I thought it will be the pork chop sideburns like Elvis *Thank you , Thank you very much in Elvis voice*

Aridas

Quote from: ShiningShadow on November 02, 2006, 07:58:04 AM
Quote from: Ink on November 02, 2006, 07:49:06 AM

Think about this if your dad walked out on you and your mom is spouting off that you are responsible for her misfortune and you lived and went off your your aunt and uncle no love. But suddenly you see a family all happy and content and the father you recognized as the father who walked out on you from the description from your mom before she went psyco on you. Then you take out his offspring in very evil ways which is your anger. Remember anger is something that is a very deep hurt . That's what is anger is all about.
except... THAT WAS NEVER MENTIONED. Besides, Devin was a BABY. He never SAW his dad, as far as I can tell from the comic.

terrycloth

Actually, Devin looked at Abel and his family and recognized his dad -- May, only in a female form this time...

Abel isn't against shapeshifting because his parent was a Cubi, it's because his mother was transgendered! The wings are a side effect of the powerful, permanent magic! He wasn't even a Cubi until he went to Zvinth and someone turned him while he was drunk! :U

Toric

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on November 02, 2006, 12:08:11 PM
Besides, Devin was a BABY. He never SAW his dad, as far as I can tell from the comic.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

The whole thing is most likely, as the thread title states, a matter of jealousy. Devin grew up with a lack of love, both of his parents left him blaming him as the source of their problems, and here Abel was with both his parents alive and full of love for him. Devin probably simply thought it wasn't fair, and thus couldn't help venting his misery on the boy with wings.
Yap by Silver.