Surprise!

Started by Dishonored, March 23, 2014, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishonored

This can be moved if El Box deems it necessary.

Last Tuesday one of my many, many, oh Lord TOO many cats wanted in my house, so I let her in overnight. No sign of anything wrong, but she's well-behaved so no big deal.
Late Wednesday afternoon she had a kitten on my couch. No windup, no sign of pregnancy, just BAM! kitten! He's a very healthy white kitten with an odd dark grey blotch on his head.
His name? Why, Surprise, of course!
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Qilby

That's super cute! Is it a smaller cat and her first litter? We only rarely had single-kitten litters when I had (too many) cats growing up, but it did happen.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dishonored on March 23, 2014, 06:41:50 PM
This can be moved if El Box deems it necessary.

I think you got it fairly right. ;-]

Good choice of names for the kitten.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dishonored

No, Eany's an older cat. Last year she had a litter with only two kittens, 28 hours apart. Those were Mute and Miracle. I suspect that although she's healthy enough, this will be her last litter. I'd get her spayed, but I don't want to chance it due to her age.

And I can't lay claim to the name. I was originally calling him "Ninny-seeking Missile", but my mother thought Surprise was better.  :)
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Qilby

You know you can't legally make a thread about kittens and not post some cute pictures, right?  :eager

Dishonored

Unfortunately, I have very limited access to what seems to be the world's slowest dialup service. But I'll do my best.

Sienna Maiu - M T

To the Library!~ :D

(That's adorable :>)
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Dishonored

Okay! Finally got a couple of pics up! Here's Surprise right after birth (warning: not for the very squeamish):
http://s25.postimg.org/mhztuc5ov/Surprise1.jpg
And another about a week later, with her favorite toy (besides me):
http://s25.postimg.org/a4mznfg0f/Surprise2.jpg

Dishonored

No new pictures, but a quick update on my kitten. Surprise's mother, Eany, decided that it was time for her to be weaned. As in "No more milk today, try again never".

So I'm finishing off her proper weaning by introducing her to soft foods. Luckily, she has very sharp teeth and takes to it like a duck to water. I just have to "jumpstart" her a bit each time I feed her. (Pry open mouth, check. Put tiny bit of food inside by finger, check. Don't get bi-OUCH! Set kitten in front of food plate and watch her gorge, check. Burp afterwards.")

I said I never wanted to do this again, but several years later, I'm still a good mommy. So far.  :)

Merlin

Surprise is so cute, aaaaaaaaaa :eager

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Dishonored on April 11, 2014, 04:14:26 PM
Okay! Finally got a couple of pics up! Here's Surprise right after birth (warning: not for the very squeamish):
http://s25.postimg.org/mhztuc5ov/Surprise1.jpg
And another about a week later, with her favorite toy (besides me):
http://s25.postimg.org/a4mznfg0f/Surprise2.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of shed cat hair.

Dishonored

Quote from: CubiKitsune on April 22, 2014, 12:09:55 AM

Wow, that's a lot of shed cat hair.

It's because Eany is mostly wild, and pulled out all of her loose fur to make a "nest" for her baby. She always starts off as a good mother, but tends to lose focus after about a month. Also looks a lot worse since it's white fur on a dark green throw.

I'm finally back down to two indoor cats: Surprise, and my tomcat Mia. He's safe around the baby because his idea of fighting is a contemptuous glare and a walk away from you as if you mean nothing. (Actually, that's his idea of a lot of things...)

Dishonored

Another update! (Wow, that's a heavy echo...)

Surprise eats on her own, tons of it, and four times a day. That's not including appendages, which are still her favorite prey. Here's a picture of her snacking. On me.

Blurry because that's the way hyperkitten rolls. Best picture out of thirty; she moves fast.

Dishonored

Last update! Surprise is old enough and independent enough to join her mother and the other adult cats outdoors, so I put her out. She's having a grand old time playing, exploring, and generally annoying the heck out of the bigger cats. She should be right as rain from now on.