2014/01/13 [Matilda #43] Deep Blue Rage

Started by Howl, January 13, 2014, 01:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howl

Doesn't look like she's thinking straight. Still, she's not wrong.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I don't know. I'm pretty sure she's thinking deeper than we had thought she might.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Maark30

She is thinking straight.  If they found out he killed himself then it would make him even weaker than being killed by his little sister.  If they knew the truth then it is possible that her sister would never be allowed to have a mate either since the only male family decided that she was not worth fighting for and killed himself instead.  There are many dynamics at work here.  All we know for sure is that what she has convinced herself of and told others over the years has been a carefully fabricated lie.  Starting when she told Dan that she was an outcast from the start.
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Maark30 on January 13, 2014, 01:33:05 AM
She is thinking straight.  If they found out he killed himself then it would make him even weaker than being killed by his little sister.  If they knew the truth then it is possible that her sister would never be allowed to have a mate either since the only male family decided that she was not worth fighting for and killed himself instead.  There are many dynamics at work here.  All we know for sure is that what she has convinced herself of and told others over the years has been a carefully fabricated lie.  Starting when she told Dan that she was an outcast from the start.
Gaaah, the culture of this tribe confuses me. A female has to have a male to fight for her? What if there's an accident and the female is the only one left of the family?

joshofspam

Hmmmmm...I wonder if what Fluffy said still  is relevant even though he did kill himself?

At the very least from what we've seen of the society and from Matilda's reaction to her brother passing, the Alpha males word is more then a simple order. The females live and die by it. Not having a Male possibly could lead to being exiled outcast, lower rung members taken by any male that wants them or even death.

There's even the possibility that their brothers death means there's a weakness in the family and the tribe might treat them like lepers. Not pleasant possibilities.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Hariman

Matilda isn't lying. Well, not outright lying. She's just not mentioning that her brother was already dead when she took his arm off.

Raxuno: Given what we've seen of the Blue Volcano Mythos culture, a female having no male and being fought over is a pretty dire fate. Mainly because it might be an utter bastard that wins the fights and gets to claim the girl.

Fortunately, in this case, Kesserk will likely end up getting Matilda's sister, and Kesserk at least seems like a decent guy.

JoshofSpam: I think that's why Matilda chopped off her brother's arm, and is going through this. It makes her brother look like a weak person, but she looks strong, so there's no questions on her bloodline.

Plus, getting herself exiled means that any mate of her sister's (most likely Kesserk), will have enough free spaces in the clan to have at least two, maybe three children to make a full family.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Kibin

Quote from: Raxuno on January 13, 2014, 01:55:11 AM
Gaaah, the culture of this tribe confuses me. A female has to have a male to fight for her? What if there's an accident and the female is the only one left of the family?

They have regeneration(mostly), no predators in the area, and the only threats they have is themselves. 'accidents' don't happen often, I think.

Wanderer

Bad Things™ happen to the female.

tehbeefer

I'm getting the vibe that this is one part rational scheming and one part general anger and frustration, only a (small?) portion of which is actually directed at her brother, at least at this point.

Alondro

*Charline de Lyon oooos!*  I LIKE the way she thinks!  If ya can manage to slaughter someone easily, they weren't meant to live in the first place!

I live that philosophy...  *Charline sits upon mountains of the bodies of her countless victims*  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

BabylonRanger

Quote from: Kibin on January 13, 2014, 11:11:54 AM

They have regeneration(mostly), no predators in the area, and the only threats they have is themselves. 'accidents' don't happen often, I think.

Yet now I'm wondering about the occasional cave-ins that Matilda mentioned, and what would happen there on the off-chance that there was a female whose family died in the cave-in while she survived.  Just because it's a little improbable doesn't necessarily mean it's never happened.

Zebra Bug

Matilda is quite canny. All her life she has been happily submissive, never straying from their traditions...excepting for some doofiness. And now, with the catalyst of the death of a beloved father and betrayal of a previously beloved brother...she has hardened and will not be swayed from her goals, even in the face of her clan leader. I am impressed. She's got cojones....maybe took them from her brother?

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Jasae Bushae

Well being satisfied with ones role in society and stubborn determination are not mutually exclusive. Matilda's not exactly shown a dislike of her cultures way of life during the flashback and is showing a clear understanding of their laws and her role in them.

Doesn't make her decision of exile to preserve her brothers memory, the reputation of her family and her sisters well being any less awesome.

As for the cave-in discussion, well it was shown that if the father passes away, then the daughters become the male heirs responsibility. I would imagine that following this logic, it would simply follow the lineage of males in the family regarding responsibility. In this case though, this particular tribe is relatively new with their father being one of the original founders,  meaning there isn't of yet, a lineage to speak of.
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Riddle78

I can't help but agree with Matilda's train of thought. Looking at the fundamentals of her society,she has very real grounds to have done what she did. The purpose of the male is to provide and protect,but when one particular male cannot,or will not,do one or both? Sure,what Matilda is unprecedented,but the Blue Volcano Mythos seem to value strength quite highly,and already hold a low opinion of women...

Certainly the fact that Matilda's a woman would colour their view on the matter,but the fact remains that,to their perceptions,she succeeded in tearing off her brother's arm,and subsequently bludgeoned him to death with it. That's strength,and now Matilda's defending her "deed" how I'd assume a male would. They might make her an honorary male,just so they can exile her with honor (or somesuch) intact,rather than just execute her or punish her in...Other ways.

Tuyu

An aside thought:

Given all the falsehoods being uncovered in this story...I wonder if present-day Matilda has any idea cubi can read minds...and if she doesn't, how she will react when she finds out...   :erk

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tuyu on January 14, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
An aside thought:

Given all the falsehoods being uncovered in this story...I wonder if present-day Matilda has any idea cubi can read minds...and if she doesn't, how she will react when she finds out...   :erk

She has previously stated that she is immune to charm magic and effects, whether this extends to thought reading or not is unknown.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

katasev

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 14, 2014, 08:44:15 PM
Quote from: Tuyu on January 14, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
An aside thought:

She has previously stated that she is immune to charm magic and effects, whether this extends to thought reading or not is unknown.

Ah, but remember that thought reading greatly differs from mind reading, and since Matilda's a Matilda now rather than a Kissriss, I would say she's gone to such lengths to disassociate herself with her past (I mean, that's a very, VERY condensed backstory she gives Dan) I highly doubt that the truth of what really happened is ever sitting at the forefront of her thoughts long enough for a Cubi to catch it all, assuming they'd be (a) interested and (b) capable, the latter of which we know Dan is not so adept with just yet... particularly seeing how easily he falls for this old trick...