2013/10/31 [RV #3] - How to ruin your marriage

Started by Eboreg, October 31, 2013, 06:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

I am just feeling the Schadenfreude from seeing that last robber cower in fear. But Nick here isn't out of the woods yet. He most likely feels that he just ruined any chance of being with her again. I'm also seeing something of a theme here, where main characters get robbed and they just go along until the robber tries to rape them. That's when the main character kills the robber. Of course, one instance in Turning a New Page and this is probably not enough to call it a theme.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on October 31, 2013, 06:08:59 AM
I am just feeling the Schadenfreude from seeing that last robber cower in fear. But Nick here isn't out of the woods yet. He most likely feels that he just ruined any chance of being with her again. I'm also seeing something of a theme here, where main characters get robbed and they just go along until the robber tries to rape them. That's when the main character kills the robber. Of course, one instance in Turning a New Page and this is probably not enough to call it a theme.

I think that's coincidence.  Way back when I was first writing CJP, I took a lot of inspiration from the book 'White Wolf' by David Gemmell.  The scene in Turning a New Page is inspired heavily by a couple of similar scenes in that book (to the point at which I wasn't really sure about including it).

IIRC the robbery in the short story 'Red Valentine' was based on was just improvised - I don't think it had any direct inspiration.  It was quite a while ago, though so I'm not sure.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I do wonder what the second half of her sentence is.

"You're..." what? Beautiful? awesome? amazing?

"Cubi" is the least of the options - and the hardest to interpret, given the lack of tone. It could be given a rising tone, questioning; a dropping tone, disappointed; a flat tone, indicating distrust or betrayal or even disbelief... which of those she feels will change the conversation completely...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Merlin

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 05, 2013, 07:11:39 AM

"Cubi" is the least of the options - and the hardest to interpret, given the lack of tone. It could be given a rising tone, questioning; a dropping tone, disappointed; a flat tone, indicating distrust or betrayal or even disbelief... which of those she feels will change the conversation completely...

"Getting blood on the carpet!"

Always gotta go practical, even if your husband just turned into a monster.

OK that's a lie.

Tapewolf

joshofspam

Quote from: Merlin on November 05, 2013, 04:15:51 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 05, 2013, 07:11:39 AM

"Getting blood on the carpet!"

Always gotta go practical, even if your husband just turned into a monster.

OK that's a lie.

Eh, if it was going to be something silly I would have figured like something like "You're....Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

Something tells me it isn't going to be silly.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

FYI, Merlin has finished the next two pages and may finish the last one soon.  Hence I am thinking of switching to a weekly update for the remainder of the story.

Tapewolf