2013/04/01 [DMFA #0001] The Story Begins

Started by Nino, April 01, 2013, 12:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nino

Wow, this came out of left field! I am so excited about this, though uggh, way to put the comic on hold during a super interesting arc!

edit: I really want to say though, I think this is an amazing decision for the comic. It definitely took me a long time after starting to read DMFA to brave the super old archives because some of the early ones were just a mess. I hope the old ones stay up in a separate area though for nostalgia. They have a certain charm to them, and it's amazing to see them and compare how much the art has improved.

(EDIT: Happy April Fool's Day guys :p)

KV1NN4

Aw man,she backed-dated the archives... i wanted to compare the old 1st strip and the new 1st strip! D8

~K. *: T

Wanderer

Quote from: The RantOver the next few months I'll be going through and re-doing the first five chapters of the comic. Some will just be getting a fancy set of spackle-polish, while some will have some re-writes so they will fit more canonically with the overall comic theme, and some are just going to get fully redone. (looking at you pokemon arc) Unfortunately it will likely mean the main comic is going to experience a brief haitus
...Amber, having read a lot of webcomics in my time, I'd like to express my concern about this as being a very dangerous activity. I've seen bad things happen to webcomics that try this. Usually the "infinite hiatus" variety of bad things. A few have succeeded, but even among them many have suffered drastic reductions in their update schedule, which is something you've really been working hard lately to try to pick back up.

I'm not telling you not to do it or anything (it's your comic, after all), I'm just trying to offer a warning as someone who has seen this kind of thing go bad: please be careful.

Also, might I make a request? If you're going to replace the early archives, could you keep the original versions tucked away in some separate archive on the site somewhere? They don't have to be in the main archive, and I know you hate your old art and everything, but to some of us they're kind of like pieces of history. They're a bit nostalgic, and I would be sad to see them vanish completely.

Nino

Lying Foo

I was cheering at first, then I realized it was probably an April Fool's joke, then I saw that the "plan" was to put the main comic on hold for it and became thankful it was probably an April Fool's joke.

Still, this is nice, and if the backdating is permanent, all the nicer.  (To be honest, the art in the early comics has never bothered me half as much as the continuity issues...)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Daet

April First senses... tingling........

But, on the off chance that you're not pulling our tails, it would be interesting to see what revisions you had in mind. If you do revise the archives, might i humbly suggest one new and one revised comic a week rather than a hiatus on the current arc?

That said and fools day aside, if any one could keep a loyal fan base through a revision, it'd be you.  :hug

Still gave me quite a turn when I saw the update though.   :mowtongue
Either help fix it or quit complaining.

LoneHowler

I would like to see the originals kept in a seperate archive. One of the things I like is seeing the progression of the work. Also these remastered should have the remastered tag on them. If this is a outright April fools good one
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Merlin

Dang man, this is/would be a much more believable April Fools' joke than mine. DANG.

Do love seeing that first strip redrawn though, it's quite amazing.

Icalasari

Quick! Everybody save the old archives just in case!
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

Jasae Bushae

.....darn XD 
it wasnt until i got on here that i remembered april fools day XD  well im hoping its real myself

Interesting to note though that she only considers the first five chapters to have continuity issues. gives a general idea of plot things XD (huh...and the one mention of humans is in that fifth chapter...)

and since were still getting the weekly matilda page, there will still be new material regardless, just not in relation to the main plot for those who dont want to see the remastering
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Icalasari

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on April 01, 2013, 02:07:58 AM
.....darn XD 
it wasnt until i got on here that i remembered april fools day XD  well im hoping its real myself

Interesting to note though that she only considers the first five chapters to have continuity issues. gives a general idea of plot things XD (huh...and the one mention of humans is in that fifth chapter...)

and since were still getting the weekly matilda page, there will still be new material regardless, just not in relation to the main plot for those who dont want to see the remastering

Technically, we'd get some new material for the main comic as well (the whole reworking the Pokemon arc thing)
Loading WinMows....

Lying Foo

Being smack-dab in the middle of a chapter on April 1, it'd be a very strange place to do this for real and a very reasonable one to pretend.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Icalasari

Quote from: Lying Foo on April 01, 2013, 02:23:38 AM
Being smack-dab in the middle of a chapter on April 1, it'd be a very strange place to do this for real and a very reasonable one to pretend.

There could be kernels of truth in it. Maybe she plans to reduce to one update a week, with the other update being used to update the old archives

Or maybe she's using this thread to gauge reactions

Or maybe she's finally snapped and gone completely nuts, and some nights, when it is cold and the smell of tacos permeates the air, you may hear a quiet, "wiku" as the last sound you ever hear...
Loading WinMows....

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Icalasari on April 01, 2013, 01:56:45 AM
Quick! Everybody save the old archives just in case!

Have been for some time. :-P
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Nino

Quote from: Icalasari on April 01, 2013, 02:42:42 AM
Quote from: Lying Foo on April 01, 2013, 02:23:38 AM

There could be kernels of truth in it. Maybe she plans to reduce to one update a week, with the other update being used to update the old archives

That would be really cool. She totally got me though at first. It was the explanation at the bottom... it just was really thought-out and made sense, plus she had been throwing the idea of remastered comics out there for years (though I think she said she didn't really plan to do them).

If it didn't just seem so out-of-nowhere I'd still almost be willing to think it was just a weird coincidence and she was serious about it... but it seems like something that would get thrown around a bit first before yanking the comic into a full hiatus out of the blue.

mithril

i read a few other comics (like say A girl and her fed and Goblins) which are actually doing this. though they generally juggle their schedule so that new content occurs alongside redone content.

that said, i suspect this is just an april fools day joke.. but if it isn't i won't complain much. :)
i read the early comics for the characters and funny storylines, but i started reading fairly recently so not much nostalgia involved over the early art for me.

though if it is true, wouldn't some of the 4th wall gags (like the transition between styles gag here and a this funny moment) be lost?

Saist

Wanderer

Quote from: Nino on April 01, 2013, 12:30:26 AM
Oh crap, April Fool's. DAMMIT.

...Damn. I need to pay attention to the calendar. And stop posting after midnight. She got me, if that's what this is.

GreenReaper

This would just make the original strips I bought all the more valuable! :mowcookie

chaoticfayth

I just have to say, if this isn't an April Fool's joke, then I'm really excited. Or if, say, it was a one re-do a week and one current strip a week, I'd have to say that that would be pretty neat.

But if it's not, then great April Fool's! :D

DaWrecka

I can't tell if this is an April Fool's joke, or a masterfully-timed honest announcement.

Well-played, Amber. Well played.

ChaosMageX

I just noticed something: despite the updated style, I think Mab's legs are digitigrade in panel one.  Is that really the case, or are my own eyes fooling me, given what day it is today and all?

EDIT: If that really is the case, Amber might be trying to stay true to the comic's Furcadia origin.

Icon by Sunblink

Nino

Quote from: Wanderer on April 01, 2013, 06:57:21 AM
Quote from: Nino on April 01, 2013, 12:30:26 AM
Oh crap, April Fool's. DAMMIT.

...Damn. I need to pay attention to the calendar. And stop posting after midnight. She got me, if that's what this is.

Haha, I know, she got me really good. That was brilliant. Also I think because it was so unexpected... I think Amber has done very few (if any) 'special day' or 'holiday' artworks or comics since I started reading. But it's so believable and that's what makes it good... I think the fact that it ties into something she's considered doing in the past made it amazing. The fact that I'm still not sure it's entirely a prank or not is a testament to how masterfully pulled off this one was.

Jasae Bushae

you know, thinking about it, given the original strips were even with fixing up were small three panel things which were pretty light on background (excepting the pokemon arc that could be replaced with anything) it would be pretty easy for her to do...I mean really really easy to keep up with.,....So she could probably even continue her current scedule and add on an extra update date...though i somehow doubt that would happen XD
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Ghostwish

Thank GODS this is april fools. I've seen too many webcomics die from this terrible, terrible genre of mistakes.

icarus

Quote from: Merlin on April 01, 2013, 01:15:56 AM
Dang man, this is/would be a much more believable April Fools' joke than mine. DANG.

but you wouldn't have me basicly clawing at your page every two minutes for an update any other way
MERLIN WHERE ARE THE REST OF THE STRIPS GIVE THEM TO ME
GIVE THEM TO ME NOW I KNOW YOU HAVE THEM
YOU BASTARD

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

ChaosMageX

Quote from: icarus on April 01, 2013, 05:13:09 PM
Quote from: Merlin on April 01, 2013, 01:15:56 AM

but you wouldn't have me basicly clawing at your page every two minutes for an update any other way
YOU BASTARD

Perhaps you can get back at her by doing something special with your comic for April Fools Day?

Also, this holiday aside, I can't help but wonder how much of yesterday Amber spent with her bunny, and whether she did anything special with him for that holiday, such as taking festive pictures.

Icon by Sunblink

Lurkie

...again.   :-)

This had me floored when I first saw it.  I was like, "All Right!  Amber's gonna re-draw the old strips!  Woo-hoo!"  But then I realized that today is April Fools Day, and this was just a joke.  But it's a good one.  The updated archive, the possibility that this might, just might, not be a joke. and well...  Ya got me, Amber, ya got me good.  :-)

Well played, Miss Mab.  Well played.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

Zen

Now that everyone found out about the joke, it would make more sense, if she actually started re doing the old comics and then say:

"HAHA! I fooled you guys! It was actually true!"

Wait she will do it? Then she could not really do it and the jokes on us.

Merlin

Quote from: icarus on April 01, 2013, 05:13:09 PM
YOU BASTARD

Bwahahaha! Success!

The main story ends on Saturday so YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT, MISTER.

Which... bringing this back on topic, is how long we have to wait to see what Amber's doing with DMFA on Friday!

that only works out because I'm in a different time zone, but it works
Oh. Now I see why you're yelling at me.. AAAA WAITING FOR UPDATES