Damaging Undead

Started by Eboreg, February 24, 2013, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

I've been thinking about the Undead lately and have been wondering how physical damage affects them. Yeah, we all know that only disrupting the brain can actually kill an Undead but what about paralysis, nerve, and bone damage? For example, can shattering an Undead's spine paralyze the victim? Will breaking a leg prevent them from walking? Will a shattered jaw remain shattered?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Jasae Bushae

well from what little i recall from the undead who have popped up so far in the comic they seemed to avoid damaging themselves as much as possible because they couldnt regenerate bits...on the other hand both examples had been dismembered and were totally able to put themselves back together (and in devin's case he lost all the skin of his arms and was able to get them plated and put back on and the trippy magic of undeads kept him working just fine)
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Eboreg

Most of those injuries were either to soft tissue or were a dislocation of joints. I'm talking about a bone being damaged or a vital nerve.
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on February 27, 2013, 05:56:54 PM
Most of those injuries were either to soft tissue or were a dislocation of joints. I'm talking about a bone being damaged or a vital nerve.

Hannah survived being decapitated, and was able to control her body remotely while her head was in a box.  I suspect that the nerves aren't being used for their original purpose anymore.
Also, note that Devin's prosthetic arms supposedly contain the bones from his original arms, encased in metal.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prroul

I think that, to truly kill Undead, you would either need to a) hit them with a powerful enough dispel to get rid of the magic allowing them to be animated (difficult, possibly impossible), or b) "Stand back, this can get a little messy"... as in not simple dismemberment, but total and outright gibbing.

By that same token, if you really wanted to torture one, you could decapitate it, permanently destroy the rest of the body (creamation?), and keep the head around to taunt and torment for the next few idle centuries.

Jasae Bushae

i also recall a conversation between abel, jyrras and lorenda which suggested aiming for the head would work pretty efficiently XD
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2013, 06:07:09 PM
Also, note that Devin's prosthetic arms supposedly contain the bones from his original arms, encased in metal.
Except that they aren't really "prosthetic" either, at least in the sense that they're not "replacements".  Same bones, and his left hand and forearm are apparently still original equipment.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1247.php

Ignuus66

Hmm I wonder how undead would handle actual prosthetics... (no organic parts, only mechanical) And If they can, what is to stop them from slowly replacing all of their body with machinery and technically becoming a machine driven by magic with a soul. (and not electronic prosthetics, but more like a golem, an inanimate object animated with magic)

EDIT:
If possible I'd imagine that a few undead might craft themselves something made of a very powerful materials, perhaps titanium alloys for the very rich, or perhaps steel for the less so, perhaps even palladium microalloy glass is a possibility If they managed to create it in the DMFA universe.

(credit: Gabi)

Zebra Bug

Quote from: Ignuus66 on February 28, 2013, 04:04:02 AM
Hmm I wonder how undead would handle actual prosthetics... (no organic parts, only mechanical) And If they can, what is to stop them from slowly replacing all of their body with machinery and technically becoming a machine driven by magic with a soul. (and not electronic prosthetics, but more like a golem, an inanimate object animated with magic)

EDIT:
If possible I'd imagine that a few undead might craft themselves something made of a very powerful materials, perhaps titanium alloys for the very rich, or perhaps steel for the less so, perhaps even palladium microalloy glass is a possibility If they managed to create it in the DMFA universe.

That would be awesome, and I bet that would work...if they found material that was not magic resistant. Like Jy was saying about percentages and magical channelling...anyways. They could also go the DnD route and become stone or gem golems...or who knows, transparent aluminum anyone?

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Ignuus66

Quote from: Zebra Bug on February 28, 2013, 12:54:22 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on February 28, 2013, 04:04:02 AM

EDIT:

That would be awesome, and I bet that would work...if they found material that was not magic resistent. Like Jy was saying (I will insert link when I can find it, the page where he was talking about material, and chekov gun...)...anyways. They could also go the DnD route and become stone or gem golems...or who knows, transparent aluminum anyone?
The combinations would be endless, but what he can do Is have non-magic resistant material as the main body, and have plates of material with below 4% magic content on the exterior to absorb any magic thrown at him... That kind of undead would be nigh invincable to anyone other than tri wing, dragon, or fae (assuming the plating is a very tough material)

(credit: Gabi)

Eboreg