14/1/13 [DMFA #1369] - Her

Started by Tapewolf, January 14, 2013, 05:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, I have to wonder whether Dee's in a mood because the attack was aimed at her or Dan, or because she was attempting to have Dan and/or Abel assassinated for some insane reason and it failed...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Farry

Dee would probably have known that most cubi had been recalled to SAIA, and might have assumed that both Dan and Abel had gone. But another bat-winged creature is at the inn, and might well be assumed to be a cubi by angry adventurers in the absence of other likely candidates, and belongs to a race that she hates. And she'd disapprove of that creature's current relationship and then some, if she'd found out about that.

I'm stacking "what-if"s on top of each other in the above, I know, but it's fun to speculate.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Farry on January 14, 2013, 06:42:42 AM
Dee would probably have known that most cubi had been recalled to SAIA, and might have assumed that both Dan and Abel had gone. But another bat-winged creature is at the inn, and might well be assumed to be a cubi by angry adventurers in the absence of other likely candidates, and belongs to a race that she hates. And she'd disapprove of that creature's current relationship and then some, if she'd found out about that.

Interesting idea.  But she probably knows that Pyroduck is one of Fa'Lina's 'children' and that offing him is not a good idea.  She must also have known that he was walking around openly in Twink Territory.  I figured that they probably had come to some kind of truce.  After all, Pyroduck is more pro-'Cubi than most dragons.

I was wondering if this was some attempt to drive Dan into SAIA to keep him safe by making the outside world seem too dangerous.  But it could equally be that she's just heard about the 'Cubi murders.  AFAIK she wants the dragons gone because they wiped out all her siblings and relatives - hearing that Taliopa (who she is supposedly friends with) has been murdered could make her lose it.

icarus

personally i think she was trying to instigate a race war.
sending adventurers out to hunt down the few stray 'cubi who aren't in the academy LOOKS like the work of hizell.

based on that alone, the other races could be galvanized into attacking the dragons. even the beings might jump on board, since they don't like being treated like pawns in some other race's game.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

KV1NN4

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 14, 2013, 05:57:25 AM
Well, I have to wonder whether Dee's in a mood because the attack was aimed at her or Dan, or because she was attempting to have Dan and/or Abel assassinated for some insane reason and it failed...

Eeeenh.. I dunno if she'd wanna off her own son... however, as pointed out, Pyroduck's at Lost Lake these days...and... her step-daughter IS dating him...maybe she was just hoping Alexsi would be taken out in the crossfire?

...Assuming she's that callous and crazy.

Enh... dunno. The party did go in there looking for a Cubi... maybe she was hoping Dan would come into his own as an Incubus by having to fight off a bunch of Being Adventurers and come to her side so they could rule the universe as Mother and Son.

I dunno how in-the-loop she is with Fa'Lina's plans and may not have known Dan wasn't home at the moment.

Insidious! Insanely...clever?

...Man Biggs lives in/operates from a swanky place.
That is an AWESOME office. And assuming it didn't shatter, someone a block away just scored a really nice free desk.
~K. *: )

Tapewolf

Quote from: KV1NN4 on January 14, 2013, 10:04:22 AM
Eeeenh.. I dunno if she'd wanna off her own son... however, as pointed out, Pyroduck's at Lost Lake these days...and... her step-daughter IS dating him...maybe she was just hoping Alexsi would be taken out in the crossfire?

I'm not convinced that they'd have said it was a 'Cubi from Lost Lake if Pyro was the target.

And yeah, the fact that she sent Dan off to get thrashed by DP was one of the things I was wondering about, but IMHO it's more likely if Dan was the target, that it was to try and drive him to SAIA, as I mentioned in my later posting.

KV1NN4

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 14, 2013, 10:25:48 AM

I'm not convinced that they'd have said it was a 'Cubi from Lost Lake if Pyro was the target.

And yeah, the fact that she sent Dan off to get thrashed by DP was one of the things I was wondering about, but IMHO it's more likely if Dan was the target, that it was to try and drive him to SAIA, as I mentioned in my later posting.

Read the rest of my post dude.: P
~K. *: )

Rakaydos

I dont think Destana deliberately set out to frame Dan. Rereading the last page, I think she just make oracle detection impossible.

joshofspam

There's a lot of interesting theories on what Dee is angry about.

I wouldn't think killing one of her own dying out clan (and her son for that matter) would be her target.

Though some of the theories rely upon her actually being responsible. It might be that the perp responsible just has a similar way of working as Abel is familiar with how Dee works.

The desk might actually be an outrage that someone made a move against her family, left her to be blamed and did it without her knowing.

Which also begs the question, just how much does Dee know whats been going on with the other cubi murders?

Edit: Of course trying to get Abel killed and accidentally almost getting her daughter killed might be a tender possibility too.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

e_voyager

personally i think they fact that her daughter was attacked right off the bat when her son was away and the so called dragon boyfriend was on the moon is was ticked her of. putting her adventurer son at right is one thing but not her litter girl.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

joshofspam

Quote from: e_voyager on January 14, 2013, 11:54:54 AM

personally i think they fact that her daughter was attacked right off the bat when her son was away and the so called dragon boyfriend was on the moon is was ticked her of. putting her adventurer son at right is one thing but not her litter girl.

I guess having a plan backfire might be another way it could have gone.

Though I like how the mood changes suddenly as Dee's eyes change color, just like how someone would have flipped a switch.  >:3

That certainly was a nice touch how the expressions change from the third and fourth panel. :)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on January 14, 2013, 12:19:26 PM
That certainly was a nice touch how the expressions change from the third and fourth panel. :)

Yes, I love panel 4.

I wonder if Destania will now get locked into the groove like Abel did...

Tuyu

Tangent thought:

If "Becka" is zombie-lawyer Rachel-Rebecca, the call could be related to Kria's trip to Trik'na island and have nothing directly to do with recent events at the inn.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on January 15, 2013, 02:18:28 AM
If "Becka" is zombie-lawyer Rachel-Rebecca, the call could be related to Kria's trip to Trik'na island and have nothing directly to do with recent events at the inn.

It's also possible she's learned that DP nearly killed her son and/or brokered a truce with him.

Alondro

Crunching a phone with one hand?! 

Clearly WERE POWERS!!!

But, is Dee furious because the attempt to get Abel killed failed, OR because there was an attack upon Lost Lake?

WE STILL DON'T KNOW!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Eboreg

I don't think Dee would want to kill Abel. She did say she had a vested interest in him. I personally think it's because the inn was attacked.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Infranscia

I noticed that both times we've seen Dee impersonate Biggs, her eyes were the first thing to change back.  Setting aside that it's to give the readers a clue, maybe it takes more effort to keep your clan quirk shifted?
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on January 15, 2013, 08:28:40 PM
I don't think Dee would want to kill Abel. She did say she had a vested interest in him. I personally think it's because the inn was attacked.

Yeah, but it looks like she was grooming him to kill Aniz for her.  That has now been obviated.  And yes, personally I think it's because her interests were attacked, but Abel's implication that she orchestrated the attack can't be ruled out.

e_voyager

maybe she wanted Dan to kill they attacking adventures (in defense of inn and family) and be labored a monster so he would have to embrace the lifestyle she once left behind and grow her shrunken family by giving her grand children. Many many grand children. 
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

YawnPB

Well we know Hizell in particular is after Cyra and her surviving clan.  Destania can use some power from Cyra to hide people from remote viewing.  So how would you find them?  Attack family and friends and lure them into an ambush out in the open.  Cubi in a blind rage kinda get stuck in it, and do dumb things as we've seen repeatedly. 
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Hariman

I believe it's been mentioned before, but the current theory I have is:

Abel is wrong. It's someone else who arranged the attack on the inn, and Destania knew nothing about it. Remember, Abel knows Destania from when she was still at the academy, not from after she left and married Edward Ti'Fiona, so he doesn't know that she's changed at least a little.

Plus, arranging an attempt on your son's life is far colder than she's ever been, even considering she tried to use Dan to kill Dark Pegasus and manipulated her own son to do it.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Eboreg

I'm thinking what Abel is implying is that the attack was aimed at Destania.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Kibin

RANDOM PLOT GUESSINGS.

Dragons and Fae are involved in... some sort of war. Probably on a level that's not even visible to most people.

Clan Cyra figured things out. They eventually found a way to get a portion of the power the two wield. It backfired, most of clan died, clan leader remains alive because of vast otherworldly powers.

Dragons are attempting to kill off the cubi to protect their power base and remain a monopoly with them and the Fae. Fae either don't care, or only a few care(possibly Mab) and are trying to subtly help this along.

Phoenix at the temple was a disguised dragon, sending the adventurers to try and kill Dan, once they knew where he was. Reasons.... for why they don't go themselves, possibly desiring to keep involvement a secret. They use their own powers to disguise themselves.

The inn, meanwhile, is still disguised because of Dan's clan leader, and the similar otherworldly dark powers they control.

Everyone else is caught in the middle, except Jyrras. What he discovered is a way to ignore a dragon's powers and tip the balance, which dragons have been trying to keep throughout the multiverse as them being in charge. Because the world is out in the boonies, dragons haven't had the interest or the knowledge to actually put a stop to it yet.

Now lets see how wrong my massive guess is!  :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kibin on January 17, 2013, 08:02:20 PM
Dragons are attempting to kill off the cubi to protect their power base and remain a monopoly with them and the Fae. Fae either don't care, or only a few care(possibly Mab) and are trying to subtly help this along.

I agree with your ideas regarding the dragons, but I'm not convinced that the Fae are in cahoots.  I would say that Mab and Albanion are opposing the dragons, not helping them.  And the rest probably don't care.

Mab seems to be pro-'Cubi.  She has befriended at least Fa'Lina and Dan, and likely created SAIA as Fa'Lina's wish.  She's also saved Dan's life on multiple occasions and with Albanion, is distressed at the idea of losing her friends and seems to be trying to find ways to protect them, or at least as many as she can salvage in the circumstances.  She is definitely involved in some kind of plot, but I do think that she's trying to make things better.

It would not surprise me at all if the fake oracle was a dragon, or somehow engineered by them.

Kibin

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 17, 2013, 08:13:01 PM
Quote from: Kibin on January 17, 2013, 08:02:20 PM

I agree with your ideas regarding the dragons, but I'm not convinced that the Fae are in cahoots.  I would say that Mab and Albanion are opposing the dragons, not helping them.  And the rest probably don't care.

That's what I meant. Don't care, and letting the dragons work on keeping the monopoly by inaction.

Aside from Mab. I'm not entirely sure about Albanion. I think Albanion is one of the "don't really care" people, and Mab just had a favor to call on.

e_voyager

while interesting i find myself wondering if this possible war is more like a massive game of chess using the population of entire worlds

Naldru

Dark Pegasus said that he was going to do something.  Perhaps he was behind the attack on the inn.  Perhaps he feels working through somebody else would not violate his truce with Dan.

Perhaps Destania is supervising a hit on Dark Pegasus and Regina.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 15, 2013, 02:48:11 AM
Quote from: Tuyu on January 15, 2013, 02:18:28 AM

It's also possible she's learned that DP nearly killed her son and/or brokered a truce with him.

Interesting.  I can't help but wonder exactly how much time has passed between Destania disguised as Biggs sending Dan to prevent Aliph's resurrection, and Destania receiving this frustrating phone call.

Dan went on his date with Matilda on a Friday, and then he attended the Soulstealer party on the following Thusday, and then began making plans to attend SAIA the next day, after brokering a truce with Dark Pegasus at the party.  He then left for the academy the day after, Saturday, as indicated here at the Inn and here at SAIA, and that very same day Abel stated that next Friday would be his 400th birthday, which brings us up to the current day of the comic.

Overall, that means that at least a fortnight has gone by since Destania sent Dan to try to prevent DP's resurrection and that might be a little late to learning such information.  On the other hand, if Destania is using less than competent informants, it might indeed take that long if not longer for this news trickle on down through the grape vine.  Another possibility is that she already knew her son failed and sent other assassinations to off Aliph, only to learn that they've also failed.

Icon by Sunblink

Lying Foo

Huh... I was wondering who "Becka" could be.  That's probably it - given her history with Moira, she's been kind of due.  (Hmm - was the Demonology page on the Fae written before or after Albanion was seen in-comic?)  But would she want to facilitate a hit on her friend's son's (ostensible) boyfriend?  Or, for that matter, as a prosecutor, facilitate a hit?  (...ever seen Intolerable Cruelty...?)

EDIT: ...oh... but she would certainly have an interest in killing DP... she could probably get herself off, too, especially tried by undead...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.