DMFA New Art Style

Started by Nino, December 28, 2012, 05:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nino

Man, I really don't like the direction the art has been going in lately. Everyone looks too 'mangy' and the thin lines just don't look good with the style. I think one of the big appeals of the art style is that it has a certain style too it, one that had a certain organization to it (for lack of a better way to articulate this), and it's lost this a lot lately.

It actually makes the comic look less unique, less interesting, and more like every other comic out there now.

I keep noticing this on the hair and Pyro's face especially, for some reason.

Amber Williams

First off: Good eye! I was wondering if anyone noticed any diffferences.

Second off: The reason for the slight shift is actually less a direction and more that a visiting friend for the holidays has been helping me out by doing a chunk of the inking for me.  Her visit is only temporary however so you can likely expect the comic's former direction to revert back to my inking in January.

Third off:  Sorry that you didn't like the look of it. I found it kind of neat, but I guess I was enchanted by the newness of it since it was really neat to see someone else handle my linework.  I kind of liked it, but I guess it also helps that I knew it was only a temporary thing so I am just enjoying it while it lasts. 

Mischa

To be honest, I've actually been rather liking it myself.

Seeing today's comic, I had to think to myself, "Wow, Amber's art is getting REALLY impressive!"

KV1NN4

I may have to agree with Nino; Amber, why would you let a _guest_ ink your comic (who REALLY needs to learn to compliment your pencils better)? Next you'll be telling us your guest has been cooking and cleaning for you too.
Worst host ever!
~K. *: T

Amber Williams

Quote from: KV1NN4 on December 29, 2012, 12:12:29 AM
I may have to agree with Nino; Amber, why would you let a _guest_ ink your comic (who REALLY needs to learn to compliment your pencils better)? Next you'll be telling us your guest has been cooking and cleaning for you too.
Worst host ever!

...Get back in the kitchen.  >:O

Chazore

Quote from: KV1NN4 on December 29, 2012, 12:12:29 AM
Worst host ever!

Amber is probably punishing that guest because that guest broke all the electronics with Asian electronic voidness powers

icarus

i can't say the new inking really stood out that much to me, without looking long and hard. now that it's mentioned, though, the main difference i can see is in small hair details and that there's a shadow under everyone's chin. that and the clothing folds? some seem a little illogical but i don't know if i can talk on that one.

but things like alexsi's hair falling over her shoulder in the third-to-last panel look really nice.  i thought it added a good bit of depth to alexsi there and also added some weight to her hair :o

i don't think it's worse or better, just slightly different. it certainly isn't significantly noticable to most :v

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

KV1NN4

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 29, 2012, 12:14:46 AM
...Get back in the kitchen.  >:O

I never left. XC
(Its hard to type long messages on this tablet...)

Quote from: Chazore on December 29, 2012, 07:25:37 AM
Amber is probably punishing that guest because that guest broke all the electronics with Asian electronic voidness powers

...i was just trying to make everything smaller and more transportable... how was i supposed to know i was up against Soviet engineering? 8C

Quote from: icarus on December 29, 2012, 08:07:35 AM
i can't say the new inking really stood out that much to me, without looking long and hard. now that it's mentioned, though, the main difference i can see is in small hair details and that there's a shadow under everyone's chin. that and the clothing folds? some seem a little illogical but i don't know if i can talk on that one.

but things like alexsi's hair falling over her shoulder in the third-to-last panel look really nice.  i thought it added a good bit of depth to alexsi there and also added some weight to her hair :o

i don't think it's worse or better, just slightly different. it certainly isn't significantly noticable to most :v

Can't take credit for the hair over the shoulder thing as something new/different; I just inked what was there... and she's done it before,as far as my brain is telling me. I do like the way it looks when she does it...never looks quite right when I try it myself.
-----
As for my linework, I'll admit part of it is my own style of inking, and another part of it is forgetting how small the comic will shrink down after it's been coloured, so some of my lines have been a bit thinner than intended. I will be more mindful of my outlines if Amber taps me for any further inking duties.

~K. *: )

bradypodidae

I find a Mab/KV collaboration most... delicious!

Thank you both for all the effort and love you put into your art and craft. ^_^
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Turnsky

one day i shall harness the power to ink with graceful smoothness.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Nino

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 28, 2012, 06:12:57 PM
First off: Good eye! I was wondering if anyone noticed any diffferences.

Second off: The reason for the slight shift is actually less a direction and more that a visiting friend for the holidays has been helping me out by doing a chunk of the inking for me.  Her visit is only temporary however so you can likely expect the comic's former direction to revert back to my inking in January.

Third off:  Sorry that you didn't like the look of it. I found it kind of neat, but I guess I was enchanted by the newness of it since it was really neat to see someone else handle my linework.  I kind of liked it, but I guess it also helps that I knew it was only a temporary thing so I am just enjoying it while it lasts. 

Haha, I had no idea. Should have kept my complaints to myself then. Sorry about that!

Amber Williams

Nah! It's more than alright.  I wasn't sure if anyone would even notice, and feedback is always good.  Never feel like you gotta keep to yourself on those, while there are some things out of my power to change, I usually do try to keep all comments in mind when it comes to things. c:

KV1NN4

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on December 29, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
I find a Mab/KV collaboration most... delicious!

Thank you both for all the effort and love you put into your art and craft. ^_^

Thanks. <X3

Quote from: Turnsky on December 31, 2012, 12:14:35 AM
one day i shall harness the power to ink with graceful smoothness.

That's my goal too! 8U

Quote from: Nino on December 31, 2012, 02:45:22 AM

Haha, I had no idea. Should have kept my complaints to myself then. Sorry about that!

What Amber said.

~K. *: )

Emerauld Drathmir

Been drawn into a new shiny toy(that I just realised I can use to look at DMFA from anywhere with wifi and OMG does it look gorgeous!), and I have to say, the new inking and hair reminds me of my fave manwha Witch Hunter.    I want a digital book of DMFA now to take along everywhere and corrupt the masses let annoying jerks read over my shoulder read it wherever I want to.
I am loving the whole kit and caboodle, because the light and shadows are perfect, the colours are so rich and vivid, and the shading is so...

*babbles incoherently about being unable to colour properly in digital even with a stupid Graphire* 

BTW, I about ruined my new toy today when I saw the flappy headwings.  Been catching up on all the comics I missed while the Holidays were on and I was hiding. 

Thanks to both of you for making my Holiday brighter!
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.