03/12/12 [DMFA #1358] - Better with hindsight

Started by TacticalError, December 03, 2012, 03:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalError

Is that a periodic table of the magic elements I see in panel 3?

D'ymkarra

I also notice in the 3rd panel, young DP has strikingly similar markings to Kria; Perhaps the stripes are something that fade with age?
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Tapewolf

Quote from: D'ymkarra on December 03, 2012, 04:47:40 AM
I also notice in the 3rd panel, young DP has strikingly similar markings to Kria; Perhaps the stripes are something that fade with age?

I figured it was part of his makeover, with the fake horns and stuff...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Starcat5

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 03, 2012, 04:56:52 AM
Either he had paint-on tattoos in his youth, or, yeah, black tattoos to hide his stripes when he had to horns added.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Turnsky

you just know one day someone's gonna try and rip one off, to find it's superglued on..

yeouch.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on December 03, 2012, 07:06:09 AM
you just know one day someone's gonna try and rip one off, to find it's superglued on..

IIRC they were actually surgically implanted, whatever they are actually made from.

Hmm, I'm kind of curious about the party now.  Whether it was a typical student affair or whether they demolished half the dormitory in the process...

MT Hazard

I think this tells us a fair bit about D.P, the fact that he considers even the briefest social interaction a regret, even for a demon that's fairly maladjusted.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Brunhidden

i had assumed he was abusing thornoids, hes pretty buff for a college student

the new challenge- i shall make sure that every new topic here i somehow connect it to jim henson
two so far!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ignuus66

is that a periodic table on the wall in the second to last panel?

(credit: Gabi)

Mischa

Quote from: TacticalError on December 03, 2012, 03:59:34 AM
Is that a periodic table of the magic elements I see in panel 3?

Quote from: Ignuus66 on December 03, 2012, 10:32:04 AM
is that a periodic table on the wall in the second to last panel?

I'd been wondering that myself.  However, aside from the fact that it's oddly framed and under glass, it's not organized the same as our own.  For example, the first row normally only has Hydrogen and Helium, but in this case has at least three elements.  Period 2 (and possibly 3?) appears to be missing the nonmetals.  If the next row down is Period 3, then there's extra transition metals...

So I was waiting to see if the forums would start speculating on the nature of atomic forces and theory in the DMFA universe, based on that table.  For example, the first row corresponds to the first orbital in an atom, which in our universe only holds 2 electrons, but in this one may hold more... :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mischa on December 03, 2012, 11:07:02 AM
So I was waiting to see if the forums would start speculating on the nature of atomic forces and theory in the DMFA universe, based on that table.  For example, the first row corresponds to the first orbital in an atom, which in our universe only holds 2 electrons, but in this one may hold more... :P

I would be gobsmacked if Amber has planned the universe down to the quantum level.

Amber Williams

For those wondering, I've drawn an accurate representation of myself when I am in universe building mode:

Chazore

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 03, 2012, 11:23:30 AM
For those wondering, I've drawn an accurate representation of myself when I am in universe building mode:javascript:void(0);

That looks about right. And I've witnessed it in person  :3

KV1NN4

What the...Funta! D:<

*picks up the Waterbuck from panel 3 and hauls him home*This boy is like cat-hair; gets into everything!>: T

Great strip Amber, lil bebbeh Aliph is adorkable! X 3
~K. *: )

Tapewolf

Quote from: KV1NN4 on December 03, 2012, 11:37:27 AM
*picks up the Waterbuck from panel 3 and hauls him home*

Ah, I was trying to work out what the species was :3

Brunhidden

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 03, 2012, 11:40:44 AM
*picks up the Waterbuck from panel 3 and hauls him home*

Ah, I was trying to work out what the species was :3

i had assumed he was an ibex for some reason

ChaosMageX

Speaking of species, since both Aliph and Kria have stripes, I can't help but wonder if they're more closely related to zebra or at least zorses instead of just horses.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 03, 2012, 11:09:46 AM
Quote from: Mischa on December 03, 2012, 11:07:02 AM

I would be gobsmacked if Amber has planned the universe down to the quantum level.

In my opinion, the messed up periodic table in the background is more artistic license than Amber actually planning out unique energy states for electrons in her universe.
Maybe she didn't properly research the periodic table before drawing that one in the background or just found drawing it to complete accuracy to be too much of a challenge, although she could have just copy/pasted one from the internet right into the background.

Icon by Sunblink

Mischa

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 03, 2012, 02:56:27 PM
In my opinion, the messed up periodic table in the background is more artistic license than Amber actually planning out unique energy states for electrons in her universe.
Maybe she didn't properly research the periodic table before drawing that one in the background or just found drawing it to complete accuracy to be too much of a challenge, although she could have just copy/pasted one from the internet right into the background.

Oh, I fully understand that -- heck, it's even debatable whether or not it's a periodic table.  (It occurred to me that it could be one of those "Graduating Year of XXXX" pictures at I see at the university, a collection of photos from a specific year.)

The thought more occurred to me because it seems at times the forums are quite willing to discuss esoteric minituae regarding the setting based on the briefest of hints in the comics. :3  (Witness the whole discussion about the design and operation of Jyrras' gun!)

Tapewolf

What the...Funta! D :<

*picks up the Waterbuck from panel 3 and hauls him home*This boy is like cat-hair; gets into everything!>: T

Aha, now I understand:  http://www.furaffinity.net/full/5972091/  [Mostly SFW]

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

So, Alphi was a bit nerdish in his youth.........interesting......

I honestly didn't picture that.... :aack

Number of Times Amber has truly "WTF?! Bombed my Brain": 5 and counting

joshofspam

Hmmmm...there are so many faces to DP.

I may never figure him totally out, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy his little quibbles in life. :3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on December 03, 2012, 05:41:08 PM
So, Alphi was a bit nerdish in his youth.........interesting......

I honestly didn't picture that.... :aack

you didnt picture him as severe, brooding, and meticulous?

lilpuppy23

What the...Funta! D :<

That was you? I thought that was Lisky! Or Basilisk. Or Sl*tpuppy. Or whatever it is Amber calls him these days.

Also, Chazore is on the forums now! :)

KV1NN4

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on December 03, 2012, 11:07:53 PM
What the...Funta! D:<

That was you? I thought that was Lisky! Or Basilisk. Or Sl*tpuppy. Or whatever it is Amber calls him these days.

Also, Chazore is on the forums now! :)

Not exactly, Funta is just one of my characters.: )
.....I guess I can see the resemblence tho. Espc. with wings. XD
(Funta doesn't normally have wings)

Darkdragon

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 03, 2012, 11:23:30 AM
For those wondering, I've drawn an accurate representation of myself when I am in universe building mode:

The fact that you can worldbuild with such detail and consistency as such is most impressive.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Starcat5 on December 03, 2012, 05:01:15 AM
Either he had paint-on tattoos in his youth, or, yeah, black tattoos to hide his stripes when he had to horns added.

Why tattoo? It doesn't affect hair/fur color, just skin. Just do a dye job.

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on December 03, 2012, 11:07:53 PM

He's gone back to Lisky, I think. Slutpuppy ran out, and I didn't renew the subscription. Or, at least, I couldn't come up with anything better...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: KV1NN4 on December 03, 2012, 11:28:00 PM

Does he show up anyplace?  The only rendition I've been able to find at all was the Anthrocon price list.

KV1NN4

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 04, 2012, 03:22:17 AM

Does he show up anyplace?  The only rendition I've been able to find at all was the Anthrocon price list.

He's in a couple of pictures besides that, and he's a character from my new webcomic.Which Amber is gunna make sure I start sketching this month. (It'll probably be a good 8-10 months or so before the comic goes live tho...I want a decent buffer before I start...And I need to script a few more arcs anyway...and finish off that big list of art I owe...finish some product...maybe take some commissions...one step at a time though).

Turnsky

Quote from: KV1NN4 on December 04, 2012, 04:28:09 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 04, 2012, 03:22:17 AM

He's in a couple of pictures besides that, and he's a character from my new webcomic.Which Amber is gunna make sure I start sketching this month. (It'll probably be a good 8-10 months or so before the comic goes live tho...I want a decent buffer before I start...And I need to script a few more arcs anyway...and finish off that big list of art I owe...finish some product...maybe take some commissions...one step at a time though).

you need minions.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..