25/06/2012 [DMFA #1318] How long does the battery last

Started by Naldru, June 25, 2012, 05:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naldru

Since Abel doesn't need to sleep, he might spend a hundred hours reading without stopping
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

MT Hazard

Ah, but away from the academy he is needing to eat and sleep again, also he has a job.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tylor

Hmm, "Ambaaargh" is a Zombish word. Does Amber play Urban Dead?

Ignuus66

hmm, I'm guessing it's like a Kindle, But a bit older. I wonder, does there exist a (Canon) version of the internet in furrae? The last time a possible internet was mentioned was quite a while ago in the "not sure if canon" zones I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(credit: Gabi)

Plotting

Wildy is lucky her friends take her hijinks rather casually. Some people would get really offended with the way she treats her friends like playthings...like Abel.

Jyrrus should have known better to let Wildy get hold of the reader before he wrapped it too.

justacritic

It appears that trouble is soon going to brew on the horizon. Which is sad because it seems that the party was getting a little bit better than when it started.

Sofox

Wait a sec... how did Able know the titles were from gay romance novels?

justacritic

Quote from: Sofox on June 25, 2012, 08:52:27 AM
Wait a sec... how did Able know the titles were from gay romance novels?
Perhaps from the titles? Generally from what I've seen on the internet listings and ads, tacky romance novels have horrible titles that are supposed to mean something or other and illustration on the front

D'ymkarra

Abel's first required reading dowload:

"Never trust a grinning ferret, Vol. 2"
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

icarus

part of me wonders if abel is a bit of a bookaholic, and if giving him a device that allows unlimited and unfettered access to all books isn't a bit enablist.

after all, he was banned from the SAIA library...though that might have been because oolong found the desire to constantly steal his shirt too distracting.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Surzsha

Today I like Wildy even more. That's totally something I'd see myself doing. >83

Gabi

Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 25, 2012, 06:51:14 AM
hmm, I'm guessing it's like a Kindle, But a bit older. I wonder, does there exist a (Canon) version of the internet in furrae? The last time a possible internet was mentioned was quite a while ago in the "not sure if canon" zones I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.
LiveJournal exists, so I think that would mean the Internet does too.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ignuus66

Quote from: Gabi on June 25, 2012, 03:52:17 PM
If that slide counts as canon then yeah. Though I guess it exists in the late 1990-s state, because (other than Jy lab stuff) The computers seem to be at that level.

(credit: Gabi)

Plotting

Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 25, 2012, 08:44:16 PM
Quote from: Gabi on June 25, 2012, 03:52:17 PM
If that slide counts as canon then yeah. Though I guess it exists in the late 1990-s state, because (other than Jy lab stuff) The computers seem to be at that level.

Ugh...the horror...1990's internet...still at least it's not the BBS era of the internet.

TacticalError

While the size of the e-reader could be to make it more like a real book, it may well be that size because that's the smallest it could be made with the tech level. A 9mm Kindle-like device would probably be a ways off. It looks like it would be about the right size to have a standard hard drive in it, and since Abel wasn't tipped off by the reader's weight, it would probably be about the right weight to have a hard-drive. No flash memory.

Also, do I see a personalized cover?

Shachza

Quote from: TacticalError on June 26, 2012, 04:02:55 PM
While the size of the e-reader could be to make it more like a real book, it may well be that size because that's the smallest it could be made with the tech level. A 9mm Kindle-like device would probably be a ways off. It looks like it would be about the right size to have a standard hard drive in it, and since Abel wasn't tipped off by the reader's weight, it would probably be about the right weight to have a hard-drive. No flash memory.

Or, Jyrras, knowing that Abel is more comfortable with actual books, could have designed a cutting-edge e-reader to mimic the look and weight of an actual book.  I don't think it would be that hard to modify a Kindle to do the same.
            <-- #1 that is!

Attic Rat

Readers have gotten larger over the years. I still have a Palm M515 PDA full of downloaded books from Gutenberg.org, for instance. That ten-year-old device isn't good for much else now, though I did manage to get an Excel spreadsheet working in it.

Still, this comic takes place in a magical world. That reader could be run by technology, magic, or any combination imaginable. I really like the idea of making it look like a book, which also protects the viewing surface and provides some privacy if you don't want others to see what you're reading. Very nice. I'd buy one.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Attic Rat on June 27, 2012, 06:00:19 PM
Readers have gotten larger over the years. I still have a Palm M515 PDA full of downloaded books from Gutenberg.org, for instance. That ten-year-old device isn't good for much else now, though I did manage to get an Excel spreadsheet working in it.

Well, the Kindle's big advantages are the e-ink screen, which is very nice to read, and the fact that it lasts about a month on a single charge.  It's pretty hopeless for anything else, but it's very useful to have on a long flight.

QuoteStill, this comic takes place in a magical world. That reader could be run by technology, magic, or any combination imaginable. I really like the idea of making it look like a book, which also protects the viewing surface and provides some privacy if you don't want others to see what you're reading. Very nice. I'd buy one.

I still like Mike Batt's book (1982):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wse5A0RO53k

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

e_voyager

Quote from: D'ymkarra on June 25, 2012, 10:59:41 AM
Abel's first required reading dowload:

"Never trust a grinning ferret, Vol. 2"

do you think Abel is starting to learn why Dan calls Wildy Evil?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey