20/04/2012 [DMFA #1302] - Off A'venturing We Shall Go

Started by Sienna Maiu - M T, April 20, 2012, 05:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezkat

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 20, 2012, 02:30:54 PM
Quote from: Tezkat on April 20, 2012, 02:20:56 PM
Food for thought... given the ease with which a Cubi could presumably off themselves, can one even rule a suicide as a suicide without additional information? After all, with mind and/or body controlling magic--or even the simple application of threats to themselves or loved ones--it's not outside the realm of possibility to use victims as their own murder weapons... >:]

To be frank, Id' believe the wife would tell if he was somehow not the best off, plus as I said, you can't dismiss the fact that there are blood splatters everywhere, plus as he said "we have another case" meaning there are more murders in a way that is similar to this one. Also i'd think an Emo cubi wouldn't wait untill his wife leaves, don't forget they act mostly on impulse, and plus this group seems to be made of professionals, thus they would be able to recognize this.

Also I'm assuming if it was suicide the wife wouldn't call for detectives to learn more.... she'd know it was suicide...

Are you trying to spoil my crazy, implausible conspiracy theories with logic and reason?!? :dface
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Amber Williams

Quote from: Sofox on April 20, 2012, 09:51:25 AM
Just to be clear: have they ruled out suicide?

Dangit Sofox! You made me laugh.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but for those not in the know my husband does a comic called Leftover Soup at http://leftoversoup.com/  where the most recent strip is also dealing with the death of somone. :U

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tezkat on April 20, 2012, 02:48:59 PM

Are you trying to spoil my crazy, implausible conspiracy theories with logic and reason?!? :dface

Yes, yes I am  :mwaha

If you wish I can supply you with 5 more conspiration theories that are somewhat more logical  :cool

(credit: Gabi)

Hariman

Heh. Miss "San Wilder" got a new job after her writing work almost backfired.

I suspect that she might meet Matilda during the "Adventurer for a day" event.

But then again, who doesn't expect that?

Quote from: justacritic on April 20, 2012, 10:17:28 AM
However Mab herself has admitted that even in a best case scenario, two individuals that she has befriended will end up dead.

Hasn't Amber said she's chickened out of killing off characters in one of the Q&A pages?
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

psilorder

Quote from: Tezkat on April 20, 2012, 11:52:23 AM
Quote from: Plotting on April 20, 2012, 08:11:09 AM
I like the idea of Tev, the bat, not having wings but rather slight skinflap that goes up part of his arms. It's an interesting design idea that you don't see too often with bat characters.

It seems to be the theme for Being characters based on flying mammals/birds. Since actual back wings are the domain of Creature races, they go the wing-based arms route.

Makes me think of "most powahful cubi evah" http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6729207/ as a bat (or duck) and Dan and Matildas lovechild getting a kid with a bat or duck,

Plotting

Regarind the amount of blood splatter: are we sure that a Cubi can not run around with-out its head for a few seconds like a freshly decapitated chicken?

Well that's my crazy DFMA comic theory for the day.  :)

AxiLarin

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 20, 2012, 02:10:00 PM
Also I really like the magic effects of wildy's magic, but I'm wondering what she's casting....

I know she's casting some type(s) of magic, but honestly it reminds me a bit of Minority Report.... only post-crime instead of pre-crime.  :)

Interesting catch, Tapewolf, that Fa'Lina may have hired out the crew to investigate the Cubi murders.  I know she would do what she can to prevent the Cubi population from barreling into war with Hizell and his fellow dragons, especially if he wasn't responsible for the murders (framed?), but I'm afraid the hysteria and outrage are going to be too much to quell.

LionHeart

Quote from: AxiLarin on April 21, 2012, 02:58:33 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 20, 2012, 02:10:00 PM
Also I really like the magic effects of wildy's magic, but I'm wondering what she's casting....

I know she's casting some type(s) of magic, but honestly it reminds me a bit of Minority Report.... only post-crime
I think it might be a bit of forensic sorcery, in the style of that used in Randall Garrett's "Lord Darcy" mysteries...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Plotting

Interesting catch, Tapewolf, that Fa'Lina may have hired out the crew to investigate the Cubi murders. 

Well she would have a vested interest in finding out what she could regarding the murders, and relying on a liaison officer (or whatever the Furrae equivalent is) might not get the specific information that she would require.

While I don't doubt that there would be something like liaison officers in Furrae, it does not mean that different agencies, cities, or creatures/beings would be truly cooperative with one another or share all valid information with each other. This would be especially true when different interests/schemes are involved.

Ignuus66

Interesting catch, Tapewolf, that Fa'Lina may have hired out the crew to investigate the Cubi murders.  

Let's disassemble that theory:

For one, Fa'lina would have cubi investigate, and to be frank since San is there we can safely assume that the crew wasn't hired as a cubi only group, + they appear too be alone and if they were cubi they wouldn't hide that from each other. Of course this doesn't mean there might not be a cubi among them, but they are not a cubi group.

Secondly, AFAIK Fa'lina tries not to mess with things outside of Saia, (unless it's saving/helping a recently matured cubi) and I'm thinking she isn't really even aware of the outside world.

Thirdly, If she were aware of the murders and such, she might well be aware who did it, (if it was another cubi clan) and decided not to interfere.

Fourthly, it would be more probably she would leave it to Taun, unless it's Hizell, in which case she might try to convince him to try and not interfere to stop a Second Dragon/Cubi war from interupting in a Highly volatile world. (think world war 1, it all started when Austria/Hungary's Emperor-would-be was assassinated by a Serb group, and they did not like that, thus they declared war against Serbia, and germany helped Austria, Russia helped Serbia, France Helped Russia, And England helped Belgium who was caught in the crossfire.)
A similar thing can happen, With Cubi trying to hunt down hizell, dragons helping Hizell, some cubi calling in allies, which might cause dragons to bring in allies, and so on and so forth, and since Globalization is well on it's way in Furrae, It is much more likely that such a war would develop into a full scale World War than the last Dragon-Cubi war... Which I'd believe is something she would rather avoid.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 21, 2012, 05:29:38 AM

For one, Fa'lina would have cubi investigate, and to be frank since San is there we can safely assume that the crew wasn't hired as a cubi only group, + they appear too be alone and if they were cubi they wouldn't hide that from each other. Of course this doesn't mean there might not be a cubi among them, but they are not a cubi group.

Well, I reckon Cale's a Taun. They're usually adventurers or mercenaries, and IMHO they'd rise to the top of any given group.  That and if you're investigating a serial murder involving 'Cubi, you'd ideally want a 'Cubi in on it, right?

FWIW, I don't think Fa'Lina would necessarily have hand-picked a group, she'd more likely have asked Taun to find someone trustworthy and leave the details up to them.

QuoteSecondly, AFAIK Fa'lina tries not to mess with things outside of Saia, (unless it's saving/helping a recently matured cubi) and I'm thinking she isn't really even aware of the outside world.

For SAIA to function properly, 'Cubi about to graduate will have to integrate with the outside world.  The staff would have to know what things are like politically, especially WRT how 'Cubi are being treated.  That and Fa'Lina is prescient regarding recent graduates, so she's going to soak up some background information regardless.
I also think that if people start calling hits on 'Cubi or it looks like a new war is beginning, 'Cubi outside would inform her.

QuoteFourthly, it would be more probably she would leave it to Taun, unless it's Hizell, in which case she might try to convince him to try and not interfere to stop a Second Dragon/Cubi war from interupting in a Highly volatile world.

The thing is that if it is Hizell, or hirelings in his pay... well, they're either going to kill the entire 'Cubi race one by one or you're going to have a war to try and prevent him.  I don't see a lot of other choices.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2012, 08:24:27 AM
For SAIA to function properly, 'Cubi about to graduate will have to integrate with the outside world.  The staff would have to know what things are like politically, especially WRT how 'Cubi are being treated.  That and Fa'Lina is prescient regarding recent graduates, so she's going to soak up some background information regardless.
I also think that if people start calling hits on 'Cubi or it looks like a new war is beginning, 'Cubi outside would inform her.
That's a valid point
The thing is that if it is Hizell, or hirelings in his pay... well, they're either going to kill the entire 'Cubi race one by one or you're going to have a war to try and prevent him.  I don't see a lot of other choices.
AFAIK Hizell isn't wanting to kill the entire 'cubi race "only" finish off Cyra.... Which on the other hand isn't something a World war is worth starting over for Fa'lina, though if Hizell could gain access to Saia, he might change agendas to Extinction of the Cubi race again, but as of current it seems to be killing Cyra and Destinia (he doesn't know about Dan yet) Which only seems to affect the poor cubi caught in the crossfire. But if fa'lina or Taun were to interfere it might escalate into a Dragon-Cubi war, which in turn could easily escalate into a Being-Creature-Cubi-Dragon war.

Also I don't think Cubi really trust other races enough to have them investigate murder scenes instead of actual 'Cubi.

Edit: fixed quote error

Tezkat

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 21, 2012, 05:29:38 AM

Well, I reckon Cale's a Taun. They're usually adventurers or mercenaries, and IMHO they'd rise to the top of any given group.  That and if you're investigating a serial murder involving 'Cubi, you'd ideally want a 'Cubi in on it, right?

FWIW, I don't think Fa'Lina would necessarily have hand-picked a group, she'd more likely have asked Taun to find someone trustworthy and leave the details up to them.

It should be noted that Wildy is known to Fa'Lina and many other Cubi at SAIA thanks to her participation in the rescue mission. Notwithstanding (or perhaps because of) a few beatdowns doled out in the general melee, she seems to have made a very favourable impression.

Given the apparent proximity of Lost Lake to Zivnth, she may have already been on a shortlist for handpicked Adventurers to look into sensitive local problems.

Mind you, the dialogue suggests that his team was not previously briefed on the background conflict...

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tezkat on April 21, 2012, 12:41:00 PM
Mind you, the dialogue suggests that his team was not previously briefed on the background conflict...
Yeah, that's my main argument, considering that sending a team of proabably non-creatures to investigate a Cubi murder without knowing anything (or hardly anything, amber said that the Dragon/Cubi war seemed like the occasional random murder of a Cubi or a dragon, and sometimes a rampage or 2 to the other races) is not the smartest idea, because then they may leave out important clues like..  >3 the clan mark carved out of the dead body perhaps?

EDit: I'm betting on amber standing at the Sidelines, laughing and eating popcorn, and when the argument comes to a stalemate, she releases a bit of information that debunks all the theories here.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 21, 2012, 02:16:18 PM
EDit: I'm betting on amber standing at the Sidelines, laughing and eating popcorn, and when the argument comes to a stalemate, she releases a bit of information that debunks all the theories here.

You mean like the fact that this group was investigating a small town murder only to find out that it was a serial case?  The more likely scenario is that if Fa'Lina has some group working on it, they will be taking over this particular investigation as part of their bigger project.  Where as this group would simply be a more local group of adventurer's who were investigating a random murder and have stumbled upon a bigger picture.

But that's just my theory. And I'm sure I don't know much about the subject.

justacritic

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 21, 2012, 02:39:43 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 21, 2012, 02:16:18 PM

You mean like the fact that this group was investigating a small town murder only to find out that it was a serial case?  The more likely scenario is that if Fa'Lina has some group working on it, they will be taking over this particular investigation as part of their bigger project.  Where as this group would simply be a more local group of adventurer's who were investigating a random murder and have stumbled upon a bigger picture.

But that's just my theory. And I'm sure I don't know much about the subject.
Sarcasm detected! Sarcasm detected! Releasing sense of humor now.
Really the death of a member of species that some have bad feelings against, would this be classed as something like a hate crime as well?

Prroul

Hmmmm...

The assassination of a Cubi is not an easy task. Do keep in mind that, despite the fact that most Cubi regularly use filters on their empathy, it is exceedingly difficult to 'sneak up on' someone who can feel your emotions before you enter the room. This indicates at least a modicum of magic being used to conceal such.

Second, concerning the timing window. This is a personal vendetta, the individual in question has a personal grudge against the victim, but not against the victim's family.  A mercenary wouldn't hesitate to eliminate the family, and as pointed out, an anti-cubi cult would probably want to kill 'cubi-lovers' as readily as cubi.

Third, it is no easy thing to kill a Cubi. Either the individual has a great deal of skill, or a great deal of power, or both.

Considering historical background, I'd start looking into a Draconic connection. Failing that, I'd look for an involvement with Piflak's clan. Since he said this case has gone serial, one can assume that the previous murder of a member of Piflak's clan was similar enough for individuals to draw conclusions that they were done by the same individual. Now, lets all remember that Piflak's, among other things, a very accomplished artist. I think it might tweak her sense of irony to kill an individual who killed one of her clan members in an exactly identical manner. Failing that, someone may have a grudge match against Piflak's clan.

This does strike me as Expert, possibly done by a Professional, however I don't think it was a hired hit. I think someone's got a real hard-on for taking down Cubi for a very long time, and has spent the past time frame in learning how to become this good so that they can begin this vendetta.

At the moment, we don't have any evidence supporting this, but we really don't have a lot of evidence period. Now would be the time I would dig into the case files and look for similarities. But my gut tells me that this is a smart grudge match. Not a random 'GWAR IMMA GONNA KILL ALLA J00!' sort of blind rage, but a hyperfocused "I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" sort of thing. Someone lost a loved one to a Cubi early in their life. The psychological scarring from that event convinced the child of two things: 1) Cubi need to die, and 2) Cubi are dangerous, so rather than go out and get killed, get the training and skill necessary to bring it to them.

There are two things people generally study: Those things they like, and those things they hate. And someone most definitely does not like Cubi.

joshofspam

You know, we already suspect Hizell ordering these hits, his personal calling card and the willingness to have others help him kill cubi is noted in the story and does match his history with killing them.

Though an even bigger puzzle still hasn't been quite nailed down and would either further prove or disprove Hizell's involvement. Why now?

Trade is one good reason that could agitate Hizell that one of the adventurers mentioned. But is that the reason or the only reason?

Edit: Hmmmmmm...Though if we take in Dan's experience, just how readily available would detailed and truthful information for creature battles be available for adventurers?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Maark30

Wow, Its C.S.I. Furrae.  I always thought that they needed a new franchise.   :mowcookie

Mao: merged your thread into the existing one we had for this comic.
Thank You Mao.  :mowdizzy
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

Plotting

Quote from: Prroul on April 21, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
it is no easy thing to kill a Cubi. Either the individual has a great deal of skill, or a great deal of power, or both.

Well that would really depend on the Cubi in question, in particular how powerful the Cubi is and how competent they are at defending themselves. While Cubi have a lot of potential when it comes to fighting, thought reading, shapeshifting, perhaps even some innate magic, but the average Cubi fights like a drunk in a bar fight - emotional, reckless, and stupid.

And that is if they know anything about self-defence and/or combat. Not all Cubi are trained in self-defence (like Aniz), and most who are only take the basic course in self-defence.

Prroul

Quote from: joshofspam on April 21, 2012, 09:27:31 PM
You know, we already suspect Hizell ordering these hits, his personal calling card and the willingness to have others help him kill cubi is noted in the story and does match his history with killing them.

Though an even bigger puzzle still hasn't been quite nailed down and would either further prove or disprove Hizell's involvement. Why now?

Trade is one good reason that could agitate Hizell that one of the adventurers mentioned. But is that the reason or the only reason?

Edit: Hmmmmmm...Though if we take in Dan's experience, just how readily available would detailed and truthful information for creature battles be available for adventurers?
Is the clan symbol missing? That was Hizell's MO. If the clan symbol is missing, I'd say yes. But if it is still there... then probably not. Not enough information yet.

Quote from: Plotting on April 22, 2012, 01:15:52 AM
Quote from: Prroul on April 21, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
it is no easy thing to kill a Cubi. Either the individual has a great deal of skill, or a great deal of power, or both.

Well that would really depend on the Cubi in question, in particular how powerful the Cubi is and how competent they are at defending themselves. While Cubi have a lot of potential when it comes to fighting, thought reading, shapeshifting, perhaps even some innate magic, but the average Cubi fights like a drunk in a bar fight - emotional, reckless, and stupid.

And that is if they know anything about self-defence and/or combat. Not all Cubi are trained in self-defence (like Aniz), and most who are only take the basic course in self-defence.
They're still a Creature, which still requires a level of either skill or power to take down. Most Beings wouldn't be able to, simply because they'd get Ginsu'd by the wings. A Being would need a great deal of training to be able to do it. A Creature, granted, would have a much easier time, having at least theoretical access to advantages Beings just don't have. However, just because they fight like a drunk in a bar fight doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

Having said that, it does seem that this particular Cubi, the moment he got into a fight...  8) lost his head

YYEEAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! (auditory warning on link: establish volume control before clicking, not suitable for work environments)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on April 22, 2012, 02:42:35 PM
Is the clan symbol missing? That was Hizell's MO. If the clan symbol is missing, I'd say yes. But if it is still there... then probably not. Not enough information yet.

It's possible the victim's clan mark was on the head.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

icarus

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 22, 2012, 05:19:41 PM
Quote from: Prroul on April 22, 2012, 02:42:35 PM

It's possible the victim's clan mark was on the head.

it's also possible that our team here hasn't got much knowledge of cubi clan markings. it doesn't seem to be particularly common information, especially amoung adventurers. they may be unaware of clan markings entirely and so may overlook that vital clue. it's also possible they simply haven't examined the body yet. they seem to be focusing more on the scene than the corpse. really the person who would notice the marking missing fastest would be a family member, and they may not be in a mental state where they've really *looked* yet.

ultimately i'm throwing in for the large part with tapewolf on this entire scenario. dragon killin'z.

since there is a kid involved, and the kid was spared, we can guess the kid likely hasn't got any wings/cubi inheritance. this is backed up by the fact that "anti creature cult" was a theory. to support that theory, only the creatures in the household would be dead - meaning the mother and kid must be beings.

which would seem to imply that the father's clan had no leader? leaderless cubi clans seem to be a weaker strain, geneticly, and have less of a chance of having cubi offspring even if they are in relationships with beings. suggesting the 'weaker' cubi are being picked off first.

i also don't see why fa'lina wouldn't also allow for beings or mixed-creature parties to look into the murders for her. she's friends with many different creatures (fae, mythos), raised a dragon, and has beings teach at her academy. i imagine if she felt beings optimum for the investigation, she'd involve them. an all cubi team could be a disadvantage in this scenario, really. beings or other creatures may be able to access certain areas or information more freely than 'cubi. not to mention the overly emotional cubi would probably not be your first choice for forensics work. a bit too much mulder, and not enough scully, y'know?

apologies for the lack of linky citation and general ramblings. exhaustion's causing me to type uncontrollably, it seems.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

icarus

gah, shoot me. double post.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Plotting

Quote from: icarus on April 22, 2012, 08:30:16 PM
since there is a kid involved, and the kid was spared, we can guess the kid likely hasn't got any wings/cubi inheritance. this is backed up by the fact that "anti creature cult" was a theory. to support that theory, only the creatures in the household would be dead - meaning the mother and kid must be beings.

It could be that the kid is too young for any possible Cubi traits to have manifested themselves. Cubi traits simply appear over the top of the creature/being in question sometime during their twenties.

And even the weakest Cubi would likely be more powerful than a being, the kid is likely a Cubi/being half-breed (I don't really like that term, but can not think of anything else to use...) which is too young for the Cubi traits to be present.

Of couse, if a dragon is the one doing the killing, they would most likely know this...

icarus

well there *is* a dmfa character whose parents were a cubi+being but didn't become one themselves. but i think if i say any more i'll be fed to a chain chomp, if y'know what i mean.

Ignuus66

I really don't think cubi half breeds are possible, as Amber stated, it's Either a cubi or not, it is discovered in 20-30 years of age of the individual.
What I *might* imagine if we push the boundries of 'cubi genes staying dormant but re-emerging later on...

psilorder

hmm, all this talk about breeds makes me wonder about evolution in Furrae. ( "On" Furrae?)

It seems logical that beings would be subject to it. But are creatures?
Is it the same process as with beings? Or do they have "magical evolution" ?

Nocturne of Night

Quote from: icarus on April 23, 2012, 09:08:35 AM
well there *is* a dmfa character whose parents were a cubi+being but didn't become one themselves. but i think if i say any more i'll be fed to a chain chomp, if y'know what i mean.

But Alexsi's mother was an Amazon, not a 'cubi...

Quote from: psilorder on April 23, 2012, 07:10:29 PM
hmm, all this talk about breeds makes me wonder about evolution in Furrae. ( "On" Furrae?)

It seems logical that beings would be subject to it. But are creatures?
Is it the same process as with beings? Or do they have "magical evolution" ?

*ksst* Here, hold this can of worms for me real quick. *runs really fast the other way*

Naldru

There were some theories of that nature concerning Devin.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.