Cubi machines (now derailed into all about cubi shape changing!)

Started by Ignuus66, January 19, 2012, 10:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpuppy23

Quote from: Ignuus66 on January 21, 2012, 02:01:30 AM
Quote from: VAE on January 20, 2012, 06:06:32 PM

Just.. why would they do it?
well for one you can disguise yourself pretty well as an inanimate object I guess. Also it would be funny.

I can see it now: A Dimanika cuckoo clock.

Not only does it ring at the wrong time, it also moves around your house and changes color and appearance :D

Ignuus66

-snip, kinda stupid post-

(credit: Gabi)

BirdmanGA

Either that or you can have a wristwatch that you'll never forget at home, or a cellphone that could run off magic and be kept on your person.

justacritic

Quote from: Ignuus66 on January 21, 2012, 08:00:18 AM
Quote from: lilpuppy23 on January 21, 2012, 02:50:20 AM

Not only does it ring at the wrong time, it also moves around your house and changes color and appearance :D
Not to mention eat all your food and wake you up at night  :mwaha
And keep you up too *blush*

Ignuus66

Quote from: justacritic on January 24, 2012, 08:43:39 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on January 21, 2012, 08:00:18 AM
Quote from: lilpuppy23 on January 21, 2012, 02:50:20 AM

Not to mention eat all your food and wake you up at night  :mwaha
And keep you up too *blush*
Depends on the type of cubi I guess.
However can we rerail this thread? or has it been derailed past the event horizon?

nevwyn

How about a derailing rerail?

What if a sentient machine entity like say one of Jyrra's offspring were to start eating souls (personally I'm not sure the little one hasn't) could it become a cubi?

VAE

Quote from: nevwyn on January 24, 2012, 09:51:17 AM

What if a sentient machine entity like say one of Jyrra's offspring were to start eating souls (personally I'm not sure the little one hasn't) could it become a cubi?

It would become a soul-powered machine.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Ignuus66

Quote from: nevwyn on January 24, 2012, 09:51:17 AM

Soul eating isn't a Cubi-only practice. The dragon (forgot it's name) Cyra killed used the souls of his city to make himself stronger.
I also suspect that some demons (maybe vampires when they existed) did the same.

Amber Williams

Soul stealing/eating is a trained ability moreso than an innate one.  Even beings could theoretically do it, odds are some have and do.  It's more a situation that during the Dragon-Cubi war, one of the big things that really hit the Cubi hard was a subversive propoganda that painted the entire race as soul-eaters who do such practices willy-nilly.  It's a stigma that still lingers.

AmberCross

Quote from: BirdmanGA on January 20, 2012, 05:26:38 PM
Question, if instead of the cubi shapeshifting into a machine, he or she changed their wings to hold the components like the mounting bracket for different gear locations. While that's not becoming a machine, it is holding one together.
While that might be theoretically possible, it also sounds like it would be phenomenally uncomfortable to keep up for a long period of time. It would be much easier I'd imagine to shapeshift into the APPEARANCE of such an apparatus than to even just hold it together. Only downside of course is that the rest of the cubi (organs and whatnot) would have to fit somewhere so you'd end up with a clock that has internal clockwork of oh hey it's a person in there!

Anyway, what I wonder now is if cubi can morph AWAY limbs (which shouldn't be too hard since they disappear their wings all the time) what about morphing extra limbs into existance? Is there anything stopping your generic cubi from just pretending to be a triwing aside from the sheer suicidalness of impersonating people that can and likely WILL eat your soul for doing such a pretend?

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on January 26, 2012, 05:09:10 PM
Anyway, what I wonder now is if cubi can morph AWAY limbs (which shouldn't be too hard since they disappear their wings all the time) what about morphing extra limbs into existance? Is there anything stopping your generic cubi from just pretending to be a triwing aside from the sheer suicidalness of impersonating people that can and likely WILL eat your soul for doing such a pretend?

I'm not sure they can make themselves 30ft tall easily - I'm not sure how easily they can add mass - but I have a vague memory that adding hip-wings is doable.  Though as mentioned, running around going "I'm a tri-wing!" in the present DMFA environment is liable to bring someone or something very nasty down upon you.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 26, 2012, 06:47:36 PM

I'm not sure they can make themselves 30ft tall easily - I'm not sure how easily they can add mass - but I have a vague memory that adding hip-wings is doable.  Though as mentioned, running around going "I'm a tri-wing!" in the present DMFA environment is liable to bring someone or something very nasty down upon you.

Hmm, add mass, or lower density?
After all, making themselves denser does seem possible, i saw it somewhere around here/
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

AmberCross

So.... it is totally doable to pretend you're a triwing by giving yourself extra mass and/or adding hipwings. It's just a bad idea on account of people calling your bluff or attracting the attention of WAY too powerful people who might not take well to you putting up such a facade.

Amber Williams

Quote from: AmberCross on January 27, 2012, 12:48:32 AM
So.... it is totally doable to pretend you're a triwing by giving yourself extra mass and/or adding hipwings. It's just a bad idea on account of people calling your bluff or attracting the attention of WAY too powerful people who might not take well to you putting up such a facade.

Pretty much. There's good reason why Cubi prefer to masquerade as beings rather than angels/demons.  It's a lot easier to disguise yourself as something weaker and then have the edge when folks underestimate you...than to disguise yourself as something more powerful and then be expected to bite as hard as you bark.

Angel

So if shape-changing is all done on the surface rather than changing much internally, I assume Cubi would have nothing to worry about from turning into an animal that normally has lower brain-functions than the average sentient being. Does that mean they could turn physically into, say, livestock animals without changing their internal functions and thought processes? It would probably be too complicated to change your brain anyway, right?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Mao

We did see Abel turn into a gryphon in comic #1130 and I believe they're considered a lower-brain function creature. (though I believe still sentient... just really simple)  His thought processes seemed to be fully in tact.

Though by the end of the trip, his wardrobe did not.

Tapewolf

Note that Weres can change into a feral animal, though I'm not sure to what extent they retain their intelligence in that mode, and it's likely the transformation mechanism is entirely different.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2012, 05:30:42 AM
Note that Weres can change into a feral animal, though I'm not sure to what extent they retain their intelligence in that mode, and it's likely the transformation mechanism is entirely different.
As amber said, for the cubi the main difference is Aesthetic, but for the were the difference is Racial (a human were is resistant to magic for example, while a animal were is not)

Ignuus66

(sorry for the double post)
Well I'm off to a good start! first thread already in the tearooms! might as well send a few more here  :mwaha
I'm just fooling. Anyone up for some tea?

Ravenscroft

Oh No! Damn I asked Amber a question already answered here, in the tea room no less. welp so much for whatever I was asking for lol
Oh wow! Uh Yeah Sorry about that turns out I'm quite, quite mad. I'm terribly sorry about the inconvenience of it all. Personally I'm as scared as all of you must be. But on the Plus side I'm not dangerous! Just not to be taken personally.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Ravenscroft on May 03, 2012, 11:46:26 AM
Oh No! Damn I asked Amber a question already answered here, in the tea room no less. welp so much for whatever I was asking for lol
Heh, a lot of info is actually stored in the tea rooms, you would be surprised...

Mao

Quote from: Ravenscroft on May 03, 2012, 11:46:26 AM

Ewww, resurrecting a thread that is many months dead and not even with new and/or relevant discussion.  That's a big no-no.  Didn't you see the big red warning before you posted and the rules section on this?  Tsk tsk tsk.  Don't do that again, ok?  Else it'll be off with your head and no more tea for you!

And no more tea is a horrible, horrible fate, wouldn't you say?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears