[Art] Kumiko's Artwork (UPDATED 7/16/12) The Two Are Friends

Started by KumikoTsumi, November 25, 2011, 05:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I will just add - speaking as a moderator - that this is a thread started by someone new to the forum who is looking to improve their art.
It would be disappointing and frankly, very inconsiderate towards Kumiko if it were to turn into yet another spat between Whitefox and Turnsky... or anyone else for that matter.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WhiteFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 01, 2011, 03:06:39 PM
It would be disappointing and frankly, very inconsiderate towards Kumiko if it were to turn into yet another spat between Whitefox and Turnsky... or anyone else for that matter.
I would agree. Sorry, Kumiko.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 01, 2011, 02:10:37 PMNow don't do it again.
I'll try my best not to.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

KumikoTsumi

Its alright :) But now that I have the time, I think I'll draw some more art to post. ^_^

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: KumikoTsumi on December 01, 2011, 04:34:17 PM
Its alright :) But now that I have the time, I think I'll draw some more art to post. ^_^

Yay!
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

KumikoTsumi

Well, it took me 30 minutes, but I think it looks pretty good.... I might use this as my icon too... I guess I really am better at drawing headshots o-o

KumikoTsumi

Arroyo Milori

You really shouldn't invest in a tablet, not until you have the basics down on pen and paper. You never know if you won't be able to make it in the art world and suddenly want a career change in your college days.

I assume you are going to route of "anime anthropomorphic" route, which shows the laziness of actually learning  to draw what the said animal's skull. This is usually counter-argued with the typical "The character would look ugly if I tried to do that." But then you would be breaking one of the golden rules of drawing anthros: Make them look like the animal that they are intended to look like. How can you tell if the character is suppose to be a anteater if they don't have traits that make them look like a anteater?

And then there's the stylization. Oh boy, if you are expected to get anywhere in improvement gotta ditch the style you are going for now. Learn to bake the cake first (foundation) then, you can add frosting (style). A well baked cake will taste good without frosting, and even if the frosting is nasty you can scrape it off. A cake that has frosting slathered on it and isn't a delicious cake, there's no helping it.

If your trying to get by just by stylization, I would scrap the style you are trying to go for and draw from real life. Stylization comes last.

Damaris

Okay. The tablet discussion is now closed.

Also, let's remember that this is a young artist, and CONSTRUCTIVE, POLITE CRITICISM is required in this thread.

Or I start banning people. No warnings.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Turnsky

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on December 01, 2011, 08:54:59 PM
You really shouldn't invest in a tablet, not until you have the basics down on pen and paper. You never know if you won't be able to make it in the art world and suddenly want a career change in your college days.

I assume you are going to route of "anime anthropomorphic" route, which shows the laziness of actually learning  to draw what the said animal's skull. This is usually counter-argued with the typical "The character would look ugly if I tried to do that." But then you would be breaking one of the golden rules of drawing anthros: Make them look like the animal that they are intended to look like. How can you tell if the character is suppose to be a anteater if they don't have traits that make them look like a anteater?

And then there's the stylization. Oh boy, if you are expected to get anywhere in improvement gotta ditch the style you are going for now. Learn to bake the cake first (foundation) then, you can add frosting (style). A well baked cake will taste good without frosting, and even if the frosting is nasty you can scrape it off. A cake that has frosting slathered on it and isn't a delicious cake, there's no helping it.

If your trying to get by just by stylization, I would scrap the style you are trying to go for and draw from real life. Stylization comes last.

i see where you're going with this, but i do have to ask Kumiko here: do you have a scanner? if so fill a page with just character sketches, both face and body shots, differing angles, the whole dealio. I want to get an idea on how you work, see how we can take things from there.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

KumikoTsumi

Eh...sketches? Okay...I guess. But I really like anime style :( Drawing realistically is hard for me...but here's a few sketches.
Here's a bronze dragon.
Five headed hydra.
Random sketch of Kumiko with wings.

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: KumikoTsumi on December 02, 2011, 07:57:19 PM
Eh...sketches? Okay...I guess. But I really like anime style :( Drawing realistically is hard for me...but here's a few sketches.
Practice makes perfect. You can't expect ANYONE to get it down right the first time.

KumikoTsumi

Alrighty then I'll practice until I become pro! :D

justacritic

I have to admit sis can do pretty good work when she puts her mind to it...
YOU HEAR ME SIS GET TO WORK NOW I'M STILL WAITING FOR YOUR COLORING, HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO COLOR IN OUR COMIC IF I HAVE NOTHING TO BASE UPON? great now my throat is hoarse :mowsad

KumikoTsumi

Turnsky

I like your attitude, you show great promise, young padawan.  :P

regardless of the style, most, if not all character art have generally the same structure characteristics, essentially you start out with a stick figure and build upon that. Manga stylings or Western, they pretty much start out the same.
Fundamentally speaking, they aren't too far removed from eachother, that and as i mentioned before, a manga styling is about as unique as the artist drawing it, so worry about the fundamentals first, and you can pick our brains along the way and see about developing your own stylings in the meantime.  :3

and as for colouring? i'll see if we can't help you with that either.  :)

KumikoTsumi

Okay then ^_^ Time to get cracking at those anatomy books... -stares at the pile and whimpers-  :ape

e_voyager

wow love the dragon and the hydra... i've always had a soft spot for mythic beings myself. it's interesting to see a hydra with actual legs. i like the concept
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

KumikoTsumi

Thanks, I try my best....and now I must go color something or my bro will smite me -_-

KumikoTsumi

I am depressed and now in no mood to draw anymore. My mom asked me to draw her a profile picture for face book so I did and she couldn't make up her mind about the color of the hair and ect. Then after 16 times of changing the hair color I asked her what color she wanted again and she said, "I don't know...to be truthful it looks ugly," And then I asked, "What does? The hair color?" and then she said... "No, the whole person looks ugly," So...basically she does not appreciate my artwork and instead thinks it's ugly. Now I feel strange when I want to draw... :cry

llearch n'n'daCorna

*wince* Okay, that's not cricket.

Hope you get some time to restabilise yourself, there.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

VAE

That sort of reaction sucks... (and well, i guess it's exactly what i'd got if I ever showed anything to anyone of my family) but then, it's a lot better than dishonest praise.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

WhiteFox

Oh, jeez... that can't be easy to hear. My dad saw an MLP drawing in my sketchbook once, and he looked at me funny for days. So, I can sympathize.

I know how much of a blow it can be to hear such things, especially from someone whose opinion matters to you, but try not to let it get you down. What really matters is whether or not you want to be an artist. If you want it, do it. Skill is only a matter of time and effort.

For what it's worth, I like your work: your dragon and hydra were simply fantastic.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Turnsky

now see, criticism like that, while harsh can be taken in a positive light if you want it to be. Think of it less like a verbal beatdown and more like a slap in the face with a silk glove.

A Challenge if you will. If you can push yourself to rise above it, to work on it more, you'll be all the better for it.

Everyone's been there, the trick is to use it to drive yourself forward, always progressing.

Kipiru

What Turnsky said, strife to do better! A lot of people don't understand how much an artist's work mean  to them and shoot it down without so much as a thought. I've learned that they do not do that out of bad intentions, so try to swallow this, as hard as it may be and just keep going till you are good enough for them. Once my parents, who never really paid any attention to my drawing skills told me to my face I can't even draw humans(at that time I was all about robots and aliens), so I sat down and drew for them a few sketches of ordinary human beings doing ordinary human things plus a nice sunset so there would be no more doubt about my skill- it worked!

Nyil

A little bit of a break isn't necessarily a bad thing. Every now and then, a break can let you sit back and contemplate your art, and allow you to take a step back from things so that you can see more clearly what the next step towards improvement is.

As for your mother, while it may really suck to hear something like that, especially from someone as close as your own parent, it should be taken with a grain of salt. It may not necessarily be critique, but I doubt she said something so hurtful to make you want to quit. In the long run, though, she doesn't control your art or the amount of pleasure you get out of it. Neither does your brother, or your friends, or anyone on these forums, or anyone else period. The happiness you get out of art comes from you, and if you can learn to create art because the process of being artistic brings your joy, and not because you might get compliments or some sort of attention, then remarks like that won't sting as badly, and it will even be easier to take constructive criticism (which can also really sting at times, especially if you've worked really hard on a piece!)

When you're ready to return to art, I'm sure that the people on these forums will be glad to welcome you back.
A drop of water shall be returned with a burst of spring.

Interested in high fantasy and art nouveau? Check out my art page! http://www.furaffinity.net/user/nyil/

e_voyager

Ouch i'm sorry to hear that. i know how artist are about there art. i still get sensitive about comments  to some of my weaving and pottery projection. I hope you feel better soon. just relax and enjoy the holiday season for a while. like Nyil says a break is normal.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

KumikoTsumi

:< Aww, thanks guys. I'm going to listen to all of you and keep trying! Then one day my mom will really appreciate what I draw! ^_^ Thanks for the sympathy and help guys, love you all :D Now to work on that Christmas picture....

KumikoTsumi

Well, sorry for the lateness guys, but it's finally done! :D

Merry Christmas everyone! :D
This artwork piece includes, E, Cain, Kumiko, Kipiru and Zora.
Kumiko belongs to me!
Cain belongs to Justacritic, my brother. :)
Zora belongs to VAE. :)
Kipiru belongs to Kipiru  o-o
E belongs to EVoyager. :)
Merry Christmas All!

Kumiko- OH MY GAWDS, A FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST EDWARD ELRIC PLUSHIE! MUST GET! -drags Kipiru along-
Kipiru- So as I was saying--- WAGH!? -gets dragged to anime store-
Cain- Wait, KUMIKO! I WANNA GO TOOOOOO!
Zora- Ahahahahhaha! XD
E- I feel festive! :D

I think the coloring is a bit better this time...less white specks :D

VAE

*lawls*

Neat.
I like the way you do facial expressions. They are .. expressive.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

KumikoTsumi

Not sure if that's a compliment but thanks. :D Anime characters have big eyes to show expression, so I guess I just caught on...o-o