Cougar on the loose in Olivos, Buenos Aires

Started by Gabi, February 09, 2012, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

I saw it on the newspaper today. Apparently this cougar has been loose for about a month. The first report was made on the 12th of January. It hit the news after it was sighted near the presidential residence*.

Article in Spanish

English summary:

Every surveillance camera in Olivos is searching for it. It walks on the low roofs of the residential area of Olivos. It skillfully uses bushes and trees as camouflage, and while it barely allows itself to be seen, it has left claw marks on walls and gates.

According to the reports, the animal is about 80 centimeters tall and has been on the loose since early January. Remains of many pigeons have been found, and some domestic cats have gone missing within the last few weeks. It's been most frequently seen around the corner of Carlos Villate and Pedro Goyena streets.

The zoonosis department has been trying to catch it using cages with meat as bait. Nobody seems to know where the cougar came from. It has been seen climbing up a pine tree and drinking from swimming pools. Zoology experts say this cougar is used to human presence and is unlikely to attack humans, but the neighbours are afraid to leave their homes.

*Geography note: Olivos is a high-profile neighbourhood located in Vicente López (province of Buenos Aires), just north of the city of Buenos Aires (which is not in the province), and its most famous landmark is the Olivos Country House (la Quinta de Olivos), where Argentinean presidents live during their terms.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

VAE

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Gabi

Wow... What a coincidence! What happened to that one? I don't suppose a case of someone taking a big cat on a world tour, that would be really weird and scary. >_>
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Siirenia

Quote from: Gabi on February 09, 2012, 01:11:18 PM
Wow... What a coincidence! What happened to that one? I don't suppose a case of someone taking a big cat on a world tour, that would be really weird and scary. >_>

Stranger things have happened! Incidentally, that's why I don't trust cats. >.>

VAE

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Alondro

I'll catch it! 

With my bear hands!

Yes, bear hands.... they're transplants... >____>
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif