[Art]MLP:FiM Fanfic OC

Started by Teroniss, June 07, 2011, 11:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

Working on a new fanfic for the My Little Pony series Lauren Faust does, and I decided to draw the character who is the basis for the story. The art is still very rough, and I'm still debating how to go about finishing it, as I have NO skill at Photoshop or Photoshop style art programs at all. Anyways, feel free to interject and tell me what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/Teroniss/Scan0001.jpg

P.S. I hate to ask, but if there IS anyone who'd be willing to help on the coloring end, I would appreciate it quite a bit. Doesnt need anything special for effect, just a simple vector coloring. His coat is black, and he has a silver mane and violet eyes if that helps.

Janus Whitefurr

While wandering by and smelling the aura of ponies, I had only one thought when I saw that image.

Is he/she going to be dual-wielding those blades with magic? (Assuming they are blades).
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Teroniss

Yes and no. Not so much dual wielding as interconnecting them via the hooks on the end and turning them into magically propelled buzzsaws, and not quite double swording it, as quad-swording it.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Teroniss on June 07, 2011, 11:30:46 PM
P.S. I hate to ask, but if there IS anyone who'd be willing to help on the coloring end, I would appreciate it quite a bit. Doesnt need anything special for effect, just a simple vector coloring. His coat is black, and he has a silver mane and violet eyes if that helps.

Cricks his neck and knuckles.

E-yup.

WIP for you... I wasn't sure if you meant "silver" as light gray, or metallic silver, so made two versions:
(Clickie for biggie.)

Light GrayFaded SilverTruesilver
The colours I used in "Truesilver" were sampled directly from a photo of a block of silver. Silver has a slight yellowy orange tint to it, but that version seemed kinda strong. I lowered the saturation for "Faded Silver," and completely desaturated it for "Light Gray." Lemme know which colour you prefer, and if you'd rather do without the metallic highlighting.

I made the eyes all violet because black pupils made them disappear into the rest of the face.

I just need to know that, and what colour his harness, weapons, and cutie mark should be. And any other comments you might have.

PS: Black on dead black on medium-dark black on midnight black on raven black...  :<'

PPS: For the record, it took as long to write the post as it did to colour this thing. So. Many. Tags.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Teroniss

Wow, thats really awesome WhiteFox, and pretty close to what I was looking for.  :eager

Hair is spot on with the Faded Silver, which has the best coloration overall.

To give you an idea for the rest, I have the hand color here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/Teroniss/Scan0002.jpg

As you can see, eyes need to be a little darker violet, with a slight highlight with a lighter violet along the center of the iris. The pupil would be fine black if you used the darker shade you used for his coat.

As far as the cutie mark, the color I used are a close approximation of what I was wanting (Steel swords with bronze-like guards and wooden grip overlapped by a steel shield with gold trim.) For the harness and swords, brown harness with lighter shaded sheathes, bronze guards and unmlike my hand color cuz I didnt have it, red grips with steel hooks.

P.S. - Thanks for helping, I have no computer art skills, like i said.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Teroniss on June 08, 2011, 11:50:29 PM
P.S. - Thanks for helping, I have no computer art skills, like i said.
You gotta be careful with talk like that 'round these parts... people might start trying to teach you stuff, whether you like it or not. :3

I've been meaning to brush up on my colouring... and looking for an excuse to do something MLP:FiM related, too.

The (semi)final:

Touched up the hair a bit, tried to make it look a little more fibrous in some places.

There are a few differences in the colour scheme that were deliberate on my part, mostly to streamline the palette. If find it's a usually a good policy to minimize the number of colours and metals on a character.

I tried a light brown for the sheaths but it looked a little bright against his coat, so I went with cherrywood instead. Since it was pretty reddish, I used the same colour for the grips. I used brass for the hooks so they would match the guards.

The shield is trimmed with brass rather than gold, since the two metals are pretty similar and the metallic highlights for gold would have been visually distracting on details that small. The grip of the sword on his cutie mark is brass instead of wood, for the same reason: it's less visually distracting.

Lemme know if it meets your approval... I may have reasons for the changes but it's your character, after all.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to ink and colour on paper?
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Teroniss

Wow, thats fantastic Whitefox, I give my seal of approval  :)

As for my materials, I generally use a fountain pen for inking (Generally I pencil sketch it first to work out any details then use a lit drawing panel to retrace for the ink. Retro style is retro)

For the coloring, I use Crayola brand art pens.

Nothing special, but it works when i want solid colors.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Teroniss on June 09, 2011, 11:26:51 PM
Wow, thats fantastic Whitefox, I give my seal of approval  :)
That's what I like to hear. :3 Glad to be of service.
As for my materials, I generally use a fountain pen for inking (Generally I pencil sketch it first to work out any details then use a lit drawing panel to retrace for the ink. Retro style is retro)
Retro FTW: I use a drafting pencil for sketching, and a nib pen/india ink for line art. I only use my tablet for colouring and editing.

For the coloring, I use Crayola brand art pens.

Nothing special, but it works when i want solid colors.
If it does the job, that's all that matters.

I bought 40$ worth of copics a while back... never use 'em, too scared I'll riun them.

At any rate... glad you like the colour job. Would you mind if I posted it on my FA acct?

Teroniss

No, please go ahead. I dont mind at all. It was definitely a great job. Thank you very much