18/06/2011 [PF #175] Behold, Daryil Is A Tri-Wing!!

Started by ChaosMageX, June 18, 2011, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

This comic finally confirms that Daryil isn't giving an exhibition like Prof. Farnsworth, but is in fact a tri-wing at long last.  (Although he is coming rather close to also giving an exhibition. :sweatdrop )

I'm so excited, I think I'll mention it a few times now, since I've been waiting so long to.

Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing.
Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing. Daryil is a tri-wing.

There, I think I'm done...for now. >:3

Icon by Sunblink

Madmann135

This is both a good thing and a bad thing.

It is a good thing because he is the first to ascend to tri-wing through the use of their faux-soul technology.
A bad thing for those who he likes to play pranks on as his pranks now have the potential to be more powerful and borderline god-like.

But seriously I like the hair but couldn't he do something more with that sphelt body of his.

Edit:  Personally considering I read the story I know Daryil is the focus but considering he is a tri-wing now he would have done a little more than just removed his robe.

...I half expected to see a rubber ducky in the robe pile.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Chakat Blackspots

I think this is awesome, though Daryil does need to gain a bit of weight.

As for the rant section, I do remember reading from this forum that Amber said she no likey this comic anymore from the change of events (more esoteric/religious?) a few months ago.

joshofspam

Behold his Red and White striped boxers.

Be amazed!

And also take a slight notice to the extra pair of wings as well.

Daryil has leveled up.

Something tells me the numbers of pranks shall rise in in number and in greater forms of magnitude. :)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on June 18, 2011, 03:00:06 PM
As for the rant section, I do remember reading from this forum that Amber said she no likey this comic anymore from the change of events (more esoteric/religious?) a few months ago.

Well, there's "No likey" and "Goes after Tape with a broken bottle".  Ascending a character might be enough to push things into the latter territory...

As it happens I believe I have a fairly concise idea of what she had problems with.  They are valid criticisms and I've been trying to correct it, but changing course in this comic is a bit like steering a supertanker.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

All the points discussed on this thread are interesting, but I'm surprised no one has commented on how much underpants feature on this comic. We've seen more boxers than scarf hawks. Is it some kind of running gag?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

digitalvalues

Didn't I tell people this back in April.

Quote from: digitalvalues on April 19, 2011, 11:18:34 PM
*my first post* my guess is that Darryl ascended to Tri-wing status. Concidering that his "Clan" was made through Fakery, its logical that accending to tri wing status would destroy that bond. I had an entire dream on the subject last night infact. The number of "Fake Souls" he has absorbed is probably VERY high. i doubt that Darryl is dead, but i have been wrong many a time.

But I am wondering if anyone else saw this coming back at page 166...

Lurkie

Nice to see that Daryil did indeed ascend to Tri-Wing status.  I'm surprised that he didn't show up sitting on a cloud, surrounded by a glowing nimbus. :boggle  But I've got to agree with some of the others here, that boy is positively scrawny.  Does he never eat?  xD   (I know, I know, he's been sucking down on those faux-souls.)  He looks like a stiff breeze could blow him away.  Especially with all those wings to catch the wind.  :D 

On a more serious note, this faux-soul business has the potential to really upset Furraean society.  What would happen if the majority of the 'Cubi decide to upgrade to Tri-Wing form?  How will Beings react to this, to say nothing of various Creatures?  (I can just imagine the Dragon Hizell's reaction.  [*shudder*])
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lurkie on June 18, 2011, 06:25:06 PM
On a more serious note, this faux-soul business has the potential to really upset Furraean society.  What would happen if the majority of the 'Cubi decide to upgrade to Tri-Wing form?  How will Beings react to this, to say nothing of various Creatures?  (I can just imagine the Dragon Hizell's reaction.  [*shudder*])

Depends.  Most who attempt ascension don't survive - in 100'000 years there have been a hundred or so successful Leaders created, and countless failures, and this is one of the reasons I was hesitant to do it.  I didn't seriously consider the idea until way back when llearch asked whether Jakob or Daryil would be likely to go first, and I began to think about it.

Anyway, Daryil spent thousands of years of real world time, oodles of money and billions of machine-years researching the problem before making his attempt - and even then it was touch-and-go.

I don't see this innovation exactly opening up the floodgates because it doesn't solve whatever problems are innate to ascension.  All it's doing is meaning that fewer bystanders need to be eaten if someone does want to go for it.

And yes, you have other races to consider too.  Probably wouldn't go down well among the Being-Creature Commission, though for what it's worth, one of the assumptions for this particular future is that dragons are out of the picture and the Fae have been pretty quiet too.

Quote from: Gabi on June 18, 2011, 04:08:46 PM
All the points discussed on this thread are interesting, but I'm surprised no one has commented on how much underpants feature on this comic. We've seen more boxers than scarf hawks. Is it some kind of running gag?

Well, clothing kind of gets in the way of what he's trying to demonstrate.  Keaton in particular is liable to call his bluff if he just says he's ascended.  While even this isn't absolute proof, 'Cubi being shapeshifters and all, it is something of a last straw for her.

Also the boxers were in the original story.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 18, 2011, 06:31:37 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on June 18, 2011, 03:08:11 PM
Daryil has leveled up.

Ding!

This was actually one of the subtitles I might have chosen instead.  Another was "Daryil is in God Mode", and the other option was to use the line which I eventually printed down the side of the comic itself.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Madmann135 on June 18, 2011, 02:46:25 PM
...I half expected to see a rubber ducky in the robe pile.

Someone should totally do a picture like this with one of the cast of Project Future:

Heck, it wouldn't be too hard to that with this page of the comic.  The only thing left to do is add that rubber ducky that Madmann mentioned to the robe pile so that we have a third item for the price list. ;)

Quote from: Madmann135 on June 18, 2011, 02:46:25 PM
But seriously I like the hair but couldn't he do something more with that sphelt svelte body of his.

Quote from: Lurkie on June 18, 2011, 06:25:06 PM
But I've got to agree with some of the others here, that boy is positively scrawny.  Does he never eat?  xD   (I know, I know, he's been sucking down on those faux-souls.)  He looks like a stiff breeze could blow him away.  Especially with all those wings to catch the wind.  :D  

How do you know Daryil isn't naturally skinny, like me?  I'm just as skinny as he is, if not more so. :D

Icon by Sunblink

Turnsky

i am honestly surprised at you, tape.

you missed the perfect opportunity to have DMFA-themed boxers.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on June 19, 2011, 08:38:49 AM
you missed the perfect opportunity to have DMFA-themed boxers.  >:3

They were going to be white with little hearts on them, but I had problems making it follow the cloth properly.
Ran out of time, basically.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 18, 2011, 09:34:13 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 18, 2011, 06:31:37 PM
Ding!

This was actually one of the subtitles I might have chosen instead.  Another was "Daryil is in God Mode", and the other option was to use the line which I eventually printed down the side of the comic itself.

Overlevelled, perhaps? Maybe it's just me, but all the Borderlands themes come to mind...

Naldru

Is your question over what we're seeing or what we're not seeing (because the underpants are opaque).  Furthermore, how do you know that we are seeing underpants. :shapeshifters
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Arrith

This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last. - Oscar Wilde

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak.  Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Gabi

Quote from: Naldru on June 19, 2011, 09:05:42 PM
Is your question over what we're seeing or what we're not seeing (because the underpants are opaque).  Furthermore, how do you know that we are seeing underpants. :shapeshifters
I was talking about the underpants themselves, just pointing out that we've seen a lot of them so far. And yes, I am aware that I'm partly responsible for asking about the color of Niall's underware, but I only asked that because we'd already seen everyone else's. :P

Lurkie

Depends.  Most who attempt ascension don't survive - in 100'000 years there have been a hundred or so successful Leaders created, and countless failures, and this is one of the reasons I was hesitant to do it.  I didn't seriously consider the idea until way back when llearch asked whether Jakob or Daryil would be likely to go first, and I began to think about it.

Ah, I didn't realize that the odds of successfully ascending to Tri-Wing status were so low.  For some reason I was assuming that the main bar was the difficulty in gathering the energy.

And yes, you have other races to consider too.  Probably wouldn't go down well among the Being-Creature Commission, though for what it's worth, one of the assumptions for this particular future is that dragons are out of the picture and the Fae have been pretty quiet too.

Hm, okay...  I can see the Beings being rather conflicted about this.  On one hand it will give 'Cubi and other Creatures less excuse to eat their souls, which is always a good thing.  But on the other hand, it will potentially make the Creatures even more powerful than they already are, which could be a problem.  Though, given the exponential rise in high technology, that may not be much of a consideration.  For some reason, I didn't catch the fact that the Dragons were no longer a power in Furrae.  That definitely removes a source of conflict.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lurkie on June 20, 2011, 02:53:48 PM

Ah, I didn't realize that the odds of successfully ascending to Tri-Wing status were so low.  For some reason I was assuming that the main bar was the difficulty in gathering the energy.

That is, if you think about it, a fairly solid bar. I mean... count the number of jars in the cell. Then think; that's at least 38 (by my count) murders he'd have to commit, without getting caught. And the impression I get is that that's a drop in the ocean compared to how much he actually needed. Now, your average serial killer might clear half a dozen. The number of serial killers who've reached a hundred, in the last hundred years, you can probably count on one hand. Worldwide.

While Cubi have a lot longer to organise it, you can bet that they also have a lot more people hunting them actively - and less worried about due process - at the same time. While the dice are loaded in their favour by a little... not that much.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Well, congrats to Daryil! :D Let's grab the cake and booze to celebrate! :cheers

Anyways, now knowing that Tri-Wing cubi are actually quite large in size; I have to wonder if it's actually Daryil shapeshifted to a smaller size or his avatar...... :.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lurkie on June 20, 2011, 02:53:48 PM
For some reason, I didn't catch the fact that the Dragons were no longer a power in Furrae.  That definitely removes a source of conflict.

Yeah, it's not something I've mentioned overtly.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 20, 2011, 05:15:17 PM
That is, if you think about it, a fairly solid bar. I mean... count the number of jars in the cell. Then think; that's at least 38 (by my count) murders he'd have to commit, without getting caught. And the impression I get is that that's a drop in the ocean compared to how much he actually needed.

EDIT: Looking at the original file, I make it 47, but it's a little difficult to be sure as a lot of them overlap, or are invisible except that there's another jar standing on it.

By the way, don't forget the other pile in the desert and the fact that you're only seeing part of the cell ;-)

That aside, there are certain things you could do to minimise the risks.  Covertly stealing the souls of the dying, for instance, or those being executed.  And then you have creatures - with more powerful souls, you'd need fewer of them.  They would be more difficult to get, of course, you'd probably have to waylay Demons in the forest and do something that would kill them before they can react.  Or other 'Cubi, which would go down Very Badly with the clan involved, their allies, Taun etc (I think Amber once said long ago that this caused a big inter-clan war).

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on June 20, 2011, 07:15:49 PM
Well, congrats to Daryil! :D Let's grab the cake and booze to celebrate! :cheers

Daryil Clan will get around to that eventually, yes.

QuoteAnyways, now knowing that Tri-Wing cubi are actually quite large in size; I have to wonder if it's actually Daryil shapeshifted to a smaller size or his avatar...... :.
Whichever it is in this instance, Daryil definitely prefers to retain his original size.  Being 50ft tall or whatever is seriously inconvenient.

EDIT EDIT:  Filler is ready.  Assuming I'm able to get online Friday, I will try to upload it, even if it means being hit by stuffed animals again.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 18, 2011, 03:32:23 PM
Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on June 18, 2011, 03:00:06 PM

Well, there's "No likey" and "Goes after Tape with a broken bottle".  Ascending a character might be enough to push things into the latter territory...

As it happens I believe I have a fairly concise idea of what she had problems with.  They are valid criticisms and I've been trying to correct it, but changing course in this comic is a bit like steering a supertanker.

I don't see any problem with how you are doing the comic.  If some might not like it because of a small amount of religion showing up (or something else) in the comic, I see no problem with that, especially considering the subject matter at hand.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 20, 2011, 08:02:14 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 20, 2011, 05:15:17 PM
That is, if you think about it, a fairly solid bar. I mean... count the number of jars in the cell. Then think; that's at least 38 (by my count) murders he'd have to commit, without getting caught. And the impression I get is that that's a drop in the ocean compared to how much he actually needed.

EDIT: Looking at the original file, I make it 47, but it's a little difficult to be sure as a lot of them overlap, or are invisible except that there's another jar standing on it.

By the way, don't forget the other pile in the desert and the fact that you're only seeing part of the cell ;-)

That would be the original file, not the strip in the comic - some of the jars are covered by thought balloons or something, as I recall. I merely counted all the ones I could identify, rather than going all-out and figuring the ones behind things and the like. A quick re-count garners me 40 identifiable jars.

And yes, the pile in the desert adds to that. I make at least another 28 in the desert. And the one he had a straw in earlier. And however many he's been downing like hotcakes offscreen.

So... at a conservative estimate, at least 80 or so that we've seen, with a suggestion that there's been at least three or four times as many offscreen. My point, I think, still stands - eighty is a heck of a lot of murders you'd have to get away with; three hundred would cut it down to merely the most impressive of mass-murderers, with wikipedia suggesting Vasili Blokhin as being one of the few who reach these sorts of dizzying heights. A brief look through this list suggests that we're looking at a total of maybe 15 people who've managed more than 100 kills, according to their own claims (which is, as a result, somewhat suspect). Interestingly, Vasili isn't on that list, because that list excludes crimes of war... but I digress...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 21, 2011, 07:21:24 AM
My point, I think, still stands - eighty is a heck of a lot of murders you'd have to get away with; three hundred would cut it down to merely the most impressive of mass-murderers, with wikipedia suggesting Vasili Blokhin as being one of the few who reach these sorts of dizzying heights.

Yeah, I agree with your conclusion - doing it by mass-murder would be difficult to get away with.
Though I understand that ascension can also be done by gradually increasing your power until it becomes something akin to a natural progression, as opposed to doing it suddenly and violently.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm not so sure that doing it by mass-murder would be so tricky. Sure, doing it by individually running around in a serial killer fashion would be really tough. The easier way to do it would be to set yourself up as despot in some small, out of the way country, preferably one in the political setting of Furrae that isn't likely to raise a lot of intervention  when horror stories come out. A 'Cubi in a position analogous to  Kim-Jong Il, or one of the warlords in Somalia, or even in his crumbling Gadhafi, could probably kill several hundred to several thousand people through the political machinery without too much fuss.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's more or less the way I'd do it as well, Corg. With the added advantage, as seen by Jakob, of siphoning off the fear and alarm in the meantime.

Of course, this presumes the average Cubi is as smart as I am. Given the sampling we've seen so far, I'm not so sure; I have a vague pondering that the Cubi skills tend to result in lower IQ - perhaps not through lower abilities, but through less inclination to apply them.

... but that's starting to get a bit far afield. ;-]

LionHeart

From what I've seen of Cubi, I'd say it wasn't so much lower IQ as a lack of the long-term focus needed to carry out a plan like that. Given the average cubi's short attention span, and their tendency to impulsiveness, very few would have the patience to make or carry out a plan covering several years, much less centuries.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Depends. IQ depends on the application and focus, not just how intelligent you are. So I can see a case for stating that Cubi have a lower IQ than your average Being - if only because, being so much more powerful, they don't need to work at it.

Beings, being food for everything else, would tend to be more actively thinking about things. If only by attrition...

joshofspam

Though on the other hand, cubi like Fa'lina and Cyra sound rather well thought out in their old age as it were.

I think your right that power tends to weaken the need to think. Thus making most cubi not as smart as they could be. Emotions tend to be fleeting and chaotic. So would it surprise anyone that a young Cubi that didn't yet learn to control that nature of themselves would be just as spontaneous and just a tad short sighted?

I think age and real world experience is the key for a smart cubi.

Even Fa'lina has had her spontaneous moments. :mwaha

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_008.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_010.php
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Gabi

We've already seen Cubi make long term plans and carry them out. Sure, they may stop for muffins or cupcakes several times in the process (or whatever they enjoy), but they eventually get around to doing what they set themselves to do.