Warning: Incoming Game(er)

Started by Sarioya, February 13, 2011, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarioya

Not much to say about myself, really.  I've been a gamer since I was four (Reader Rabbit for the win! :-p).  I'll play just about anything once.  I'm currently addicted to Minecraft and WoW.  I'm in my last semester of online classes for video game design at UAT.  I'm usually the strong silent type unless I'm a bit sleep deprived (like I am now, actually), then I tend to talk notably more and even start to ramble.

I found this place through Code Name: Hunter (which I just read all of last night), which I found through a banner ad on FurAffinity.  Amazing comic, but I'm sure the lot of you already know that.  :-P  It actually made me want to RP again, which I haven't done since I was in Sr. High.  I don't want to play with the already established characters, mind you, just whatever I and other folk can come up with in that world while maintaining the feel as well as possible.

Um, yeah...  See what I mean about rambling?  Anyway...  It's nice to be here.  Hopefully you're all as friendly as you seem from my quick perusal of the forums.  I even read the rules and FAQ already.  Which is weird for me since I tend to go with the whole "common sense" thing myself.

P.S.  If anybody got the reference in the post title, then kudos and high fives all around!

Darkmoon

I would give you credit for your ReBoot topic title... but you play Wow, which ruins it.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Inumo

Welcome to the forums, Sari! Make sure to read the rules, beware the mods, and enjoy your stay.

VAE

Sleep deprivation is always fun...
Welcome!
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Doctor Smoov

Are you such a badass gamer that you'll try the "Mary-Kate (holy shit, a hyphen!) and Ashley Olsen" video games; or do you draw the line somewhere?

You said that you would "play just about anything once" ... so I'm just curious what genre of games would you never touch.

Also ... REBOOT ROCKED!

(I am actually going to look past WoW, unlike SeƱor Darkmoon)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Doc Smock, I'd suggest you be a little careful about where you use that language. Not that I'm trying to stifle your creativity, but there are folks who read these pages at work, and we endeavour to keep the lingua franca within certain bounds, such that the more morally straitlaced folks don't get their undergarments into a knotted state.

Your efforts towards this end are appreciated.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Doctor Smoov

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 14, 2011, 11:18:48 AM
Doc Smock, I'd suggest you be a little careful about where you use that language. Not that I'm trying to stifle your creativity, but there are folks who read these pages at work, and we endeavour to keep the lingua franca within certain bounds, such that the more morally straitlaced folks don't get their undergarments into a knotted state.

Your efforts towards this end are appreciated.

Understood and moderately respected.

But I would think people would have a more difficult time explaining to their boss(es) why they are wasting company time on a forum ... rather than explaining why they were reading a post that contains a no-no word...

And, perhaps I am reading to much into this, but kudos on implying that I cannot understand what you're saying by using words that you assume I don't understand. Are you implying you have to talk down to me (because most  people who took an entry level University Sociology course know that lingua franca is a language used between people who do not share a common language, and unless I'm wrong ... I don't quite understand why you chose those words)? Also, because you are English ... you saying to keep the lingua franca down is completely backwards. The current lingua franca, especially in international business, is English ... so I can only assume you are asking me to speak a different language. I know Mandarin Chinese, French and some Russian ... which language is acceptable on these forums?

And, I apologize to Sarioya for hijacking this thread; but this never would have happened if certain posts were sent privately as opposed to publicly.

I am deeply sorry Sarioya, no sarcasm or joking at all. Hope this didn't scare you away (if you were even thinking of coming back...)!

Darkmoon

Not actually getting involved here, but just saying:

Strictly speaking, there are only two forums with rating controls for imagery/language, and the Villa isn't one of them. As the language wasn't a derogatory slur, or in the thread title, technically he could use it.

Just saying. Letter of the law, and such.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Doctor Smoov on February 14, 2011, 11:38:56 AM
Understood and moderately respected.

But I would think people would have a more difficult time explaining to their boss(es) why they are wasting company time on a forum ... rather than explaining why they were reading a post that contains a no-no word...

The person in question is allowed to read what he likes on his lunch break, but is restricted in the content by the filters on the network, and the blinkers on the company owner; more the latter than the former.

Hence, not openly thumbing the nose at his company firewall by using words that we both know are anglo-saxon in descent and crude in application would be a smarter idea.

Quote from: Doctor Smoov on February 14, 2011, 11:38:56 AM
And, perhaps I am reading to much into this, but kudos on implying that I cannot understand what you're saying by using words that you assume I don't understand. Are you implying you have to talk down to me (because most  people who took an entry level University Sociology course know that lingua franca is a language used between people who do not share a common language, and unless I'm wrong ... I don't quite understand why you chose those words)? Also, because you are English ... you saying to keep the lingua franca down is completely backwards. The current lingua franca, especially in international business, is English ... so I can only assume you are asking me to speak a different language. I know Mandarin Chinese, French and some Russian ... which language is acceptable on these forums?

Talk down? Oh, heck no. I understand what I said, and I'd hope that you also followed it all; the convoluted phraseology at the end was an attempt to talk around internet filters in a way that the recipient (you, and anyone else who happens to want to follow this chat) would understand, but that most firewalls would have difficulty with, thus demonstrating the idiocy inherent in your average profanity filter when dealing with such a flexible and malleable language as English. And you strike me as an intelligent chap, so I'd hope that you followed it without too much trouble.

It is possible that I have used lingua franca incorrectly; however, given the state of your other thread (if I may be allowed to gently cross the threads in a way that is usually frowned upon on the forum) the standard English used is not necessarily the same thing on both sides of the Atlantic, sadly, and the rich tapestry of historical English is sadly frayed and faded into the poor replica we see in everyday use, such that communication between those poor benighted heathens who speak the English common in the North American colonies, and all proper, upright members of Her Majesty's Country is sadly falling into disuse.

However, we shall persevere. Who knows, perhaps you might learn something. ;-]

Doctor Smoov

Sarioya

Alright, well not really addicted to WoW at this point.  It's more like I poke at it randomly hoping to find quests that further the story for the worgen and goblin races.  At this point, I'm playing Transformice way more than I am WoW.  I probably meant to put that instead of WoW last night.  :-p

As for what I won't play?  I think that if I were left with literally nothing to do, I might actually play one, otherwise I don't think I'd go anywhere near.  There's at least one game that I will never ever touch again.  Superman 64.  I mean, E.T.'s a bad game, but Superman 64 is just completely terrible based on the controls alone.  Then it only has the "fly through rings" and "pick up cars" levels.  I'd rather try to actually beat E.T. than play that again.

Doctor Smoov

Quote from: Sarioya on February 14, 2011, 04:49:20 PM
Alright, well not really addicted to WoW at this point.  It's more like I poke at it randomly hoping to find quests that further the story for the worgen and goblin races.  At this point, I'm playing Transformice way more than I am WoW.  I probably meant to put that instead of WoW last night.  :-p

As for what I won't play?  I think that if I were left with literally nothing to do, I might actually play one, otherwise I don't think I'd go anywhere near.  There's at least one game that I will never ever touch again.  Superman 64.  I mean, E.T.'s a bad game, but Superman 64 is just completely terrible based on the controls alone.  Then it only has the "fly through rings" and "pick up cars" levels.  I'd rather try to actually beat E.T. than play that again.

I agree. Superman 64 is probably the most painful experience ever (I would rather have my teeth pulled by a rabid rabbi). Although ... one can beat E.T. in a few minutes ... (but it is still a completely terrible game).

Brunhidden

tip- if gamestop is selling the game, with no case, for two bucks.... its probably about as much fun as a kick in the nuts

i learned that by buying 'heroes of might and magic' for the ps2
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Darkmoon

Superman 64 is 3 bucks at a local resale shop here. I plan to buy it just to have it in my collection.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on February 14, 2011, 11:01:54 PM
Superman 64 is 3 bucks at a local resale shop here. I plan to buy it just to have it in my collection.

... of torture instruments?

Darkmoon

Of video games. I have some of the best games ever. Seems right to have the quintessential worst game ever.

Sarioya

Yeah.  That makes sense.  Why not go for the Aquaman game too?  I hear it's almost as bad.

Darkmoon

The one produced by James Cameron, based on his movie? I heard that one was incredible.

Turnsky

Try Doom64, while not quite as bad, the plasma rifle's hum on a large speaker system can give one quite the headache.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Corgatha Taldorthar

No need to stray from the classics. Try Outpost.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Darkmoon

Well, I already own Judge Dredd and the Death and Return of Superman, both for my SNES, so for the most part I think I have the "shitty games" part of my collect covered. I just need the two worst games ever, Superman 64 and E.T.

Well, and Custer Revenge, if I can ever find a copy. That game is infamous.

Doctor Smoov

I think I have Superman 64 ... give me your address and I will personally deliver it (in the nude).

Darkmoon

I have never been more turned on than I am right now.

Doctor Smoov

Quote from: Darkmoon on February 15, 2011, 03:43:32 PM
I have never been more turned on than I am right now.

Wait until we explore Metropolis together....

Brunhidden

just wait till you try Super Columbine Massacre RPG, itll blow your underpants off
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.