What computer is Amber using?

Started by Alterationartist, February 11, 2011, 12:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alterationartist

Title says it all, but I think it's been more than a few time where Amber's comp has gone off the rails. Just what is she using that breaks down so often?
Round 9!

Madd the Sane

Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

llearch n'n'daCorna

She's not using any computer at the moment. It's broken, so she can't use it.

;-]

More seriously, it is, as I understand it, a home build from a year or so back, when last hers broke on her. It is, from memory, fairly hefty, but tends to inhale a lot of dust. Normally this wouldn't be too much of a problem, but nobody informed her that the graphics card had a fan on it, so there was a lot of dust collected in there that hadn't been cleaned out when she went through every so often and blew the dust out with an air can.

As a result, her graphics card may have been warmed up too much. Her PSU may have inhaled too much dust and overheated (since those things are a bugger to get the dust out of anyway). Or, it may be the motherboard objecting to general heat issues created by either of the other two.

In any case, it's in hand, and Ambaargh is not really going to be a lot of help in explaining it; I believe her usual response is "it's that box on the desk" or similar... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

And here I was going to blame a Redmond-based OS.  :mowtongue

It's more important that she get it fixed, not that she go broke trying to get it done faster. We can wait.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Anker Steadfast

In case of computer woes, there's only one thing to do !!!!

:D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Alterationartist

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 11, 2011, 06:36:24 AM
She's not using any computer at the moment. It's broken, so she can't use it.

;-]

More seriously, it is, as I understand it, a home build from a year or so back, when last hers broke on her. It is, from memory, fairly hefty, but tends to inhale a lot of dust. Normally this wouldn't be too much of a problem, but nobody informed her that the graphics card had a fan on it, so there was a lot of dust collected in there that hadn't been cleaned out when she went through every so often and blew the dust out with an air can.

As a result, her graphics card may have been warmed up too much. Her PSU may have inhaled too much dust and overheated (since those things are a bugger to get the dust out of anyway). Or, it may be the motherboard objecting to general heat issues created by either of the other two.

In any case, it's in hand, and Ambaargh is not really going to be a lot of help in explaining it; I believe her usual response is "it's that box on the desk" or similar... ;-]

Wow, that answered questions I didn't even know I was gonna ask. Either way, I hope it works out in the end.
Round 9!

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 11, 2011, 06:36:24 AM
That's what 120PSI air is for! :P
(Yes, it -does- work, and extremely well, so long as the air's dry)

----
As llearch said, her computer is custom and IIRC made with decent mid-to-high-end components. Unfortunately, computers which are used a lot and on a desk or the floor tend to collect loads of dust.
Personally, I've taken to putting a few-inch spacer between it and the desk, which seems to help me slightly. Along with cleaning every 6 months or so.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Shouta

Will amber build a new computer or just fix it?
-Shouta, The Haibane
I\'m am Companion type AutoReiv that been mod to look like a Eurasian red squirrel. my serial number H 009 type prototype model. Family classified, location classified, bra size classified.

Turnsky

Quote from: Alterationartist on February 11, 2011, 12:31:23 AM
What computer is Amber using?

one that says 'No', apparently.  :P

Shouta: the question more being: "would amber have one built or have it fixed?"  From what i've seen/heard, Ambaargh's not the most technologically minded of people, it's like driving a car, most folks know how to use it, just not how to fix it.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shouta on February 11, 2011, 11:37:58 PM
Will amber build a new computer or just fix it?

Depends on what her repair guy says, I think. If he can fix it, neat. If not... probably replace parts until it works.

... mind you, that's kinda the wya computer fixing tends to go anyway...

Netrogo

Since she may actually see this thread, Amber hit me with a pm if there are any parts you need that your buddies don't have. Me and my buddies have boxes o' random parts kicking around so we may have what ya need to toss your way.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Anker Steadfast

Also, remember she is not asking for donations towards her computer !!!

... someone *might* have accidentally donated towards an ice cream though.   :D

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Netrogo on February 12, 2011, 06:35:28 PM
Since she may actually see this thread, Amber hit me with a pm if there are any parts you need that your buddies don't have. Me and my buddies have boxes o' random parts kicking around so we may have what ya need to toss your way.

Ooo! I could make use of that ;-]

Shouta

If we had a list of computer part, i think i could help out. I have 3 broken computer sitting around the house right now.
-Shouta, The Haibane
I\'m am Companion type AutoReiv that been mod to look like a Eurasian red squirrel. my serial number H 009 type prototype model. Family classified, location classified, bra size classified.

Anker Steadfast

Maybe, her computer is like this ?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shouta on February 13, 2011, 10:38:58 AM
If we had a list of computer part, i think i could help out. I have 3 broken computer sitting around the house right now.

Certainly, more than happy to provide a list.

case, GPU, CPU, CPU fan, motherboard, PSU, hdd, OS, RAM.

If you provide that lot, I'll be more than happy to spring for a monitor for it.

... Oh. Wait. You were talking about Ambaargh's machine, weren't you?

Nuts. Back to the drawing board.

Netrogo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 13, 2011, 02:34:20 PM
Certainly, more than happy to provide a list.

case, GPU, CPU, CPU fan, motherboard, PSU, hdd, OS, RAM.

If you provide that lot, I'll be more than happy to spring for a monitor for it.

... Oh. Wait. You were talking about Ambaargh's machine, weren't you?

Nuts. Back to the drawing board.

Har har Llearch XD

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Netrogo on February 14, 2011, 06:09:45 AM
Har har Llearch XD

Well, one has to have a sense of humour about these things, doesn't one? ;-]

Netrogo

Kazairl

I  think I just found the perfect business plan:  Buy computer parts in the US, then resell in the UK.

Some of the others weren't TOO bad, but you can literally get twice the CPU and twice the RAM for the equivalent price in dollars.

Equivalently priced CPU:  Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition = $139.99
Equivalently priced RAM:  G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) = $84.99

My thoughts on the dust bunny problem:

I use a case with a a very fine mesh filter in front of the 140mm front air intake fan.  This filter is easily gotten to for occasional washing.  I haven't had a dust problem inside the computer since.   This was a Lian-Li PC-60FNW that was $119.99 here (74.89 in pounds).  I found almost the same thing (minus the clear side panel) at that UK store.

Lian-Li PC-60FNB

Note:  The bottom-mounted PSU can either be mounted right side up, sucking in fresh air from underneath the case, or upside down, sucking air from inside the case.  Both configurations exhaust to the back.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I do believe you are forgetting something.

The UK govt charges 20% tax on top of what you sell it for. Hence the prices.

Also, the case in that list was selected to fit in a gap I have under my desk which is 21cm high, 39.5cm long, and about 20cm wide, with space widthwise to extend to 30cm or so without getting in the way. The case you've selected would probably be more suitable for Ambaargh, who isn't looking to replace her case.

In fact, as Netrogo correctly identified, I was facetiously posting the list for a computer for me, not for Ambaargh. Those of you who wish to donate towards this worthy cause, the IRC page has a paypal button on it; I do not, however, expect anyone to do so, and will be shocked and amazed if anything does show up via there.

Anker Steadfast

I'd do it, just to shock you !  :D

But I have no idea where the IRC page is at !

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Turnsky

Quote from: Naldru on February 16, 2011, 03:31:07 AM
Have you looked at his signature?

he's afraid llearch's sig beasties will get him.  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on February 16, 2011, 05:03:52 AM
he's afraid llearch's sig beasties will get him.  >:3

And with good reason!

Turnsky

on a lighter note somebody should totally make ambaargh some gingerbread computers, at least then she'd have a tasty computer that doesn't work to gnaw on.  :3

Anker Steadfast

Heh, if she had gingerbread computers, they'd just get eaten all the time.  :D

Madmann135

I have a PNY 9800GT graphics card that I do not use.  Well I was using it as a PhysX processor for a time but all I was doing was wasting power.
Last time I ran it (months ago) it ran perfectly fine.  It also has 1024mb of ram (1gb) and if amber has a large monitor that extra ram can come in handy.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Anker Steadfast

Looking at Ambers current frontpage rant, I reckon this is fitting :

Drayco84

Looking at the rant for Monday's pre-update, I can't help but wonder if Amber's tried GIMP... (Since llearch is a linux-user, [Debian, nontheless.] I figure he's mentioned it to her once or twice before...)