08/10/2010 [DMFA #1153] - Paranoia on the food court

Started by MT Hazard, October 08, 2010, 05:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

It's not paranoia when they are all out to get you. Also looks like Dan's given up the battle to get a new outfit, not that Kira will mind.

Note: It's funny, in the temporary picture I though kola girl's nose was a mouth.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

lilpuppy23

Those are some neat ads in the background

Amber really is getting better at the backgrounds  :)

That_wolf

...Amber wasn't joking when she said in Dan's last apperance 'This can only end in pointy.' ...His face looks like it can cut metal.
Abel needs a hug...

Tapewolf

Cue more nightmares of suddenly being naked in a shopping mall or other public place...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Starcat5

Does Dan's face seem a little... "Off"... to anyone else? I can't quite place what is wrong, but SOMETHING is bugging me here.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

That_wolf

Quote from: starcat5 on October 08, 2010, 05:58:36 PM
Does Dan's face seem a little... "Off"... to anyone else? I can't quite place what is wrong, but SOMETHING is bugging me here.

Yeah, it looks realy anguler. He used to kinda cute, now he looks scary. Hope it was just a mistake, and not a perminant condition of 'Face that can cut steel.'
Abel needs a hug...

Shachza

It was his face that initially made me think that, despite the delay, this was a guest comic strip.  I had to look at the other characters like Fi to see that everything else was very much Amber's style.

I'm not sure I like the change to Dan's face, but I'm willing to give it more time.  It might just be that due to his expression his mouth is pretty low on his face, making it seem that his face is overly long.
            <-- #1 that is!

Inumo

The face also seems to be a lot more human-looking (in addition to the added angular-ness), to me. More like Dan's a guy with wings and a weird nose than a feline. But, we're not here to critique the art. So! I wonder what the first sixty-one rules are...

MT Hazard

Could possible be an expression we haven't seen before, to me the neck seemed a little off. I don't believe its a long term chance, given Ambers comments in the rant.

I do hope that amber isn't troubled by comments like this, I looked at the forums for El Goonish shive, for one strip the thread was just one long complaint about what was wrong with the strip, the current story, the characters, etc. I would be quite troubled if these kind of comments where directed at me.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

That_wolf

It's not just his face. His chest looks also awkwardly sharp. Hopeit's just a slip up. Now that I've got the negatives done:

That's a REALY specific rule. I like oddly specific things.
Abel needs a hug...

jeffh4

I really like the little girl peeking over the hedges to look at Fi.  Cute touch!

The perspective on the tiles on the right is definitely off, but I like coloring Amber used for all the characters.  

Only way to get better is to try new things.  Take heart, Amber!

Howl

That_wolf

Wait... there are movie theatres in this universe? I just noticed that. Wonder what kind of movies are enjoyed.
Abel needs a hug...

Mao

Quote from: Various Others
Dan doesn't look right.

I kinda like where his look is going at the moment.  It always seemed odd (but not unpleasant) that someone who was a warrior would be soft and rounded in appearance and rather girlishly figured.  It was also an issue where, with simple colour changes, any of the feline characters could be made to look like the other.  I believe Amber is trying to vary her style a bit and take her characters appearances in slightly different directions, either to suit the character as she pictures them better, or maybe even just to try something new.  I will say this much about the commentary so far.  It's fine to dislike something, but similar to the tower of art, be mindful of the artists feelings, especially since this isn't an area for art critique.  Be constructive in your comments if you're going to critique or you face the chance of me coming down on you for being, in my mind, a douche.

Quote from: Howl on October 08, 2010, 06:36:38 PM
I'm not a fan of this strip either.

From my memory, you're not a fan of anything other than complaining.

Naldru

Quote from: That_wolf on October 08, 2010, 06:39:25 PM
Wait... there are movie theatres in this universe? I just noticed that. Wonder what kind of movies are enjoyed.
Well, we have seen movie posters in Furrae before.  Assuming that it wasn't an ad for a video game.  What can I say?  Lorenda may have liked girl flicks, but Jyrras went for cheesy films.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Merlin

Welp, I like Dan's current look. He actually looks manly! Not so sure about the perspective on the background, though... that wall on the right looks much shorter than the wall running behind on  the right, despite the right being closer to the foreground. But the background colours look great, it's easy to tell what everything is and it suits the comic well :3

terrycloth

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 08, 2010, 05:50:29 PM
Cue more nightmares of suddenly being naked in a shopping mall or other public place...

That was my first thought too. Nothing makes you paranoid more than going around half-naked.

...presumably only half naked. We can't tell from that angle. >:3

Jasonrevall

I actually kinda like the tougher looking face and body of Dan. It's also easier (for me) to tell him apart besides colors and wings. Call me unusual if you want :P.

Also I'm not 100% sure I know who is laughing.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Inumo

Quote from: Jasonrevall on October 08, 2010, 08:20:45 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Lorenda laughing and Bernadette's choice of random boyfriend.

Arcblade

Quote from: That_wolf on October 08, 2010, 06:35:38 PM
It's not just his face. His chest looks also awkwardly sharp. Hopeit's just a slip up. Now that I've got the negatives done:

That's a REALY specific rule. I like oddly specific things.

I expect you've already heard of this website then?

Re: the strip: I was more confused by the layout than the drawing.  Got too used to the multiple panel thing.  Bonus points for Amber for sitting down and duking it out with the background stuff.  I especially like the eye poster.  :)

nevwyn

:mowsad

Aww and hear I thought were were gonna talk about rules.  Dan's rule seems like  a variation on: Rule #40: If it seems someone is out to get you, they are. Which makes me wonder if he has one for Rule #13: Never, ever involve a lawyer. Hmmm or certain redheaded shamans for that matter.

:mowcookie

jeffh4

Quote from: Inumo on October 08, 2010, 09:12:09 PM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on October 08, 2010, 08:20:45 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Lorenda laughing and Bernadette's choice of random boyfriend.
Given Lorenda's pained expression and overall "bleh" mood in the previous strip, I doubt it.  I suspect Lorenda told Bernadette "Actually, that's my pretend boyfriend." 

Bernadette is in a good mood already.  I think this just overflowed her mirth meter.

Wanderer

Dan's face IS different, there's no denying that. It's elongated a bit, and his jaw has become more chiseled. I have an inherent dislike of change, so of course I'm likely to think this isn't a good thing, but it's important to note that me disliking it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It's a change from what I'm used to, so I dislike it on principle, that's all. This is not an attempt at criticism in a medium I certainly have no expertise in. I am merely attempting to state my reaction to this update, and explain it.

enduriel

Well ... when i compare today's Dan with the Dan from 26 strips ago, his face does not look so different to me.
Though he does look more manly, with his chest more pronounced. And he's drawn in more detail. Well, i like it.

And I also think that's rather Bernadette laughing at such an irony of faith rather than Lorenda (like jeffh4 said) - given that Lorenda does not have sooo much to laugh about at the moment   :mowsad.

PS: I hope I did not make too much mistakes in this post, since english is not my main language.

jo-shadow

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought dan's face looked a little... strange.
When I first saw it I honestly thought that it was a guest strip O..o

Amber's perspective reassured me of its authenticity though.

The blockyness of dan's face really has happened only in the last 45 or so comics. I mean there is a clear progression, starting with comic 1109.
Just Look:

I understand that amber's style evolves... I'm just afraid what he might look like in another 50 comics at this rate :erk

Also, fluffy's last answer post to reader questions isn't in the archives, I didn't get to finish reading it =(

SilentSoror

I think this was the direction Amber wanted to go in, and I like it I think she's doing a great job progressing toward her desired end.

What I really want to know is: has anyone managed to compile a list of all the rules so far?  Do you think it's like hercules?

And the poster behind Dan looks like the Cats poster but inverted.  DO you think it's cats but it's a documentary in this world? like a historical documentary? lol 

.... and why doesn't Dan just read some minds?  He's bound to find out what's up more easily as he tries .... or can he not do that?

Tapewolf

Quote from: SilentSoror on October 09, 2010, 08:49:50 AM
.... and why doesn't Dan just read some minds?  He's bound to find out what's up more easily as he tries .... or can he not do that?

It's not clear how easily he can do that.  I imagine it would become more difficult in a crowded place with many minds, as opposed to Regina in an empty corridor or his mother who was expecting him to do it anyway.
I suspect it only works close up too - someone laughing a few yards away might be out of range.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

I think this was the direction Amber wanted to go in, and I like it I think she's doing a great job progressing toward her desired end.

I like Dan's new look.  His face length, chiseled jaw, and muscular chest show that some of his father's genes are finally starting to kick in as he matures, so it probably is Amber progressing towards some targeted end for Dan's appearance.

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 09, 2010, 09:30:39 AM
.... and why doesn't Dan just read some minds?  He's bound to find out what's up more easily as he tries .... or can he not do that?

It's not clear how easily he can do that.  I imagine it would become more difficult in a crowded place with many minds, as opposed to Regina in an empty corridor or his mother who was expecting him to do it anyway.
I suspect it only works close up too - someone laughing a few yards away might be out of range.

As for Dan reading thoughts, I don't think he even knows how to set up his own mind shield yet, let alone lower it to target a specific mind in a crowd, and crowds can be a nightmarish headache for a thought reader who can't control their mind shield.

Tapewolf brings up a very good point of interest for cubi abilities.

What is the distance range for thought reading?
Could a cubi increase this range by concentrating on the specific mind or putting themselves into a meditative state or by magic or some other means?

Icon by Sunblink

Pagan

When I came to post, I decided to read the thread instead of just posting (I hear its a good practice  :P ). I expected to see plenty of people talking about the art. Well, that was right on. However, I did not expect to hear bad reactions to the art!

When I saw the comic this morning, my first thought was of how striking and crisp everything was. And how Daniel looked so defined, both in musculature and how he seems to pop out to the eye. Now having looked at him some more, I really do like how masculine and sturdy he appears.

I saw some comments about the background's perspective and whatnot. I'm not trained in drawing, so I'm not going to comment on that.  I will say, however, that I fully approve of Daniel's look in this comic.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Satamoru

........I'll be honest. All my attention was focused on that adorable candy corn colored griffon in the background .___. It's just...so cute. And tasty looking.