09/01/2010 [PF #133] - The Plot Thins

Started by Cogidubnus, September 01, 2010, 04:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Yeah, I dunno. Even after the joke, I must still agree with the consensus that someone needs to be kicked in the balls.

And it's not Niall. Or Dorcan. Or Metal Gear!? Panther.

I liked his expression in the bottom left. You have to wonder how he can expect people to not assume the worst about Cross when he goes around looking at people like that.

What does he think about when he gazes so? Surely, he bores into one's very soul with his merest side-glance.

[Begin Wall o' Text]
In all seriousness, I am conflicted. The story has already been written, I am aware, but I find myself conflicted about what I'd want to happen in the future nonetheless (Plus, I've forgotten how the whole plot goes anyhow, so I continue to be pleasantly surprised as the comic goes on).

On the one hand, Jakob actions are...hard to justify, to me. Embarrassing and probably unethical. And I fully expect that he will probably face no consequences for what he sees as a necessary action. Which makes me unsympathetic towards the character.

But, Tevye. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd -want- that to occur in the comic. In my own writing, I tend to go for High Melodrama when I can, but this isn't always appropriate. I don't think it would be in this comic. Most characters don't tend to Angst in your stories. People get turned into robots and beings and brought back from the dead and they tend to get over it pretty quickly. That's not a commentary on whether or not that's good or bad, it just is, and it would make Niall getting pissed at his Dad seem out of place. And I think it might distract from the plot unnecessarily.

Tapewolf

I'll admit that if I wanted to portray Jakob as entirely good I would not have had him rib Niall about his night out (though to be fair, Jakob already knew that Niall has a tendency to exercise the old 'Cubi charm).
Conflicted is about right, though - in this era Jakob is somewhat torn between whether he should be thinking like a Being, or a slightly dickish and aloof 'Cubi.  On reflection, he's tended towards the latter here, at least during the earlier parts of the story.

Maybe Jakob is coming across as a prick who needs to be kicked in the balls, but on the other hand he's under a certain amount of stress and at the end of the day, I prefer it if characters are not entirely black or white.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cogidubnus

Hm. I suppose I hadn't really thought about it that way before.

Raskahn

And why won't anyone remember the good things?
Because it's much more fun to talk about the negative aspects of a person. I've seen this at work many times, if you find 2 colleagues gossiping about someone you know, try adding some positive features of that person into the conversation. Most of the time they'll stop and talk about something else.

Keleth

Well, there goes Dear old Dad just sticking to finding out if he killed that guy or not.

Gee, thanks for poking around more than you should dad.  :U
Help! I'm gay!

Madmann135

Joshua got over him being John Cross. ...It did take a few well thought out and planned pranks then an explanation.
Side note a scared panther is a little more intimidating than John cross.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

joshofspam

It's also worth mentioning that the world that Jacob lives in isn't exactly pure in intentions either.

In the past it was probably worst. Trying to be the good guy when people hang you on sight in the past probably gets awkward when you live to a better time of understanding. Though that's just for certain area's.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

lilpuppy23

I'm reading this and I keep hearing the Wilhelm scream.

Just more drawn out, slowed down, and maybe more... I dunno, Its hard to explain.

and the reason nobody knows your good deeds is because they(i.e. me)can't find them!!

Raskahn

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on September 01, 2010, 09:01:41 PM
I'm reading this and I keep hearing the Wilhelm scream.

Just more drawn out, slowed down, and maybe more... I dunno, Its hard to explain.

and the reason nobody knows your good deeds is because they(i.e. me)can't find them!!

They can be found in "The chronicles of Jacob Pettersohn" One of the good deeds would be the period where Jacob ruled Ha'khun, together with Page. They brought technology to the province and, along with it, an age of wealth and safety for the inhabitants. Being and creature alike.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on September 02, 2010, 04:54:04 AM
They can be found in "The chronicles of Jacob Pettersohn" One of the good deeds would be the period where Jacob ruled Ha'khun, together with Page. They brought technology to the province and, along with it, an age of wealth and safety for the inhabitants. Being and creature alike.

Even after that, when Jakob was mad, suppressing dissent and keeping the population in a state of ambient fear, he was still fiercely protective of his citizens.  There was a high standard of living and prejudice was not tolerated.  It was just kind of scary.

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 02, 2010, 06:46:57 AM

Even after that, when Jakob was mad, suppressing dissent and keeping the population in a state of ambient fear, he was still fiercely protective of his citizens.  There was a high standard of living and prejudice was not tolerated.  It was just kind of scary.

Heh... much less scary than the standard....

I am just reading the stuff these days , and love how the Fearsome Ruler (TM) Johan Cross so far has a body count of 5....
Reminds me of the storming of winter palace , realy
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

ChaosMageX

Personally, over the past couple of pages, I haven't quite seen how Jakob is being a jerk.  Maybe my mind is just wired differently and I can't pick up on how much of a jerk he is until other people have pointed it out to me, and then I agree with them.

However, since Jakob seems to be coming off as a jerk, then hopefully people will get more pissed off at the antagonist of the rest of teen chapters.
Also, hopefully people will love to hate the antagonist of the early twenties chapters as much as I did.

If there is one thing that Tapewolf is good at writing, it's antagonists that are good at getting the audience pissed off at them, or I might be wrong about that and the general opinion of them will be different once they hit the comic.

And hopefully by just saying the word antagonist and not dropping any names, I haven't spoiled anything.

Icon by Sunblink

joshofspam

Quote from: danman on September 02, 2010, 07:12:36 AM

I am just reading the stuff these days , and love how the Fearsome Ruler (TM) Johan Cross so far has a body count of 5....

What I find funny is just how much of the tech these people use today just might be because of Jacob and Page.

We don't even know if he has Jyras as a competitor in Tape's world. Be kind of embarrassing for Jacob to point out everything in the room he made, while being accused of evil wouldn't it?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

VAE

Quote from: joshofspam on September 02, 2010, 11:18:54 AM
Quote from: danman on September 02, 2010, 07:12:36 AM

What I find funny is just how much of the tech these people use today just might be because of Jacob and Page.

We don't even know if he has Jyras as a competitor in Tape's world. Be kind of embarrassing for Jacob to point out everything in the room he made, while being accused of evil wouldn't it?
He exists. For example the patches to conceal identity fell into disuse until Jyrras made a much better, magitech version...
Think of it a bit like ancient greece vs enlightemene, except with much more modern tech in question
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Comic's up, by the way.  I think this is what happens if I don't tell Ren what Daryil is wearing...

AmigaDragon

I had glossed over and missed this the first time... what is that "five out of ten" about?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on September 10, 2010, 02:22:38 AM
I had glossed over and missed this the first time... what is that "five out of ten" about?

"You are half-right."

AmigaDragon

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Gabi

That was 1 out of 3, and it made sense there because Hermione had made 3 assumptions and only one of them was right. (Note: I believe that was one of her dumbest moments).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on September 11, 2010, 12:08:51 PM
That was 1 out of 3, and it made sense there because Hermione had made 3 assumptions and only one of them was right. (Note: I believe that was one of her dumbest moments).

That is correct.  FWIW my friends and I used to use it colloquially about 5 years before the first Harry Potter book was written.  It's not exactly idiomatic...