08/21/2010 [PF #132] - There I was, a-digging this hole

Started by Madmann135, August 21, 2010, 02:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hapless

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 31, 2010, 02:05:43 PM
two identical Maxtor units are failing in exactly the same way at exactly the same time.

You know, that's the exact reason you're supposed to put disks from different manufacturing batches (different models/manufacturers are more risky in terms of compatibility... or so they say) in a RAID array... so they're different enough to not fail after exact* same mileage.
(*For approximate values of "exact")

*gets killed by an exploding RP06 drive*
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on August 31, 2010, 05:54:38 PM
You know, that's the exact reason you're supposed to put disks from different manufacturing batches (different models/manufacturers are more risky in terms of compatibility... or so they say) in a RAID array... so they're different enough to not fail after exact* same mileage.(*For approximate values of "exact")

Very approximate.  One of them has been running since 2007.  The other was run for about a year and then replaced with a 1TB unit which is currently in the machine.  When the first one started acting funny I swapped it out for its twin, which also started acting funny in exactly the same way.  So the mileage is actually pretty different.
I am starting to wonder about RAIDing the data disk, though, just to be extra sure.  However, my Dad did that once and then had the proprietary controller die leaving all his data unrecoverable.  (Yes, I kept telling him that RAID was not a backup...)  I'd probably be looking at some kind of software mirroring.

I rerouted the power and the machine is currently booted.  Whether it will still work tomorrow is another matter.

Quote*gets killed by an exploding RP06 drive*
I heard those were kind of flakey...

EDIT:
Now go read Dark Angel.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

lilpuppy23

Edit: It has come to my attention that this original Comment was in the Wrong Place  :B

Oops.