20/08/2010 [DMFA #1138] - She's Not Yicky...

Started by RandomMetaphysics, August 20, 2010, 06:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

what about reduced gravity enviroments?
i mean, maximum size insects can grow to is within the same order of magnitude as the size of people, so on somethign with less g's they could be person sized.

i mean, furrae isn't that populated - it might be smaller a sphere
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Unsilenced

Quote from: danman on August 22, 2010, 06:28:20 PM
i mean, maximum size insects can grow to is within the same order of magnitude as the size of people, so on somethign with less g's they could be person sized.

In reduced gravity the rules change. I mean, just take a look at some of the monstrosities that form in the depths of the ocean.

However, I doubt that furrae has that much of a gravity difference, as we haven't seen any indication of one at all.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

VAE

Quote from: Unsilenced on August 22, 2010, 06:44:05 PM
Quote from: danman on August 22, 2010, 06:28:20 PM

In reduced gravity the rules change. I mean, just take a look at some of the monstrosities that form in the depths of the ocean.

However, I doubt that furrae has that much of a gravity difference, as we haven't seen any indication of one at all.

The huge gryphons?
the robots?
the amazing jumps and athletics some can do?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Anker Steadfast

Also, some arthropods have closed circulatory systems.
So then the exoskeleton seems to be the main inhibitor.

And, well ... there's snails with metal feet, so why not metal shells too ?
With that they could grow much larger than they have so far.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Scow2

I say they survive through the power of Pencil Genetics: What you see presented is what's possible.

The core of science is the observed world. Physics function as observed in Furrae.

Fae and Dragons seem to mess with physics at-will anyway, so please stop killing catgirls.

Maark30

Why can't people just accept the "Laws of Cartoon Physics"  and let it go at that??  This is the Amberverse and we should just accept her dominion here.
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

Bjalf

Umm, folks?

Chicki is not an insect, she's an insectis. There's a difference.

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 04:12:41 PM
I remember reading an old medieval article regarding how large machinery could get, and they set some rather strict limits on it with the argument that any bigger and the rivets would break or fall out of the metal. I believe they considered about 30 meter tall as the limit.

Then someone invented welding, and now we have cranes that are a LOT bigger then puny 30 meters.
Meh, what did they know? The Eiffel Tower is riveted together. They could be frighteningly clueless in the old days.

When trains were invented, they thought that humans would die (explode, lungs collapse, or whatever) if they travelled faster than 100km/h or thereabouts. They had to keep upping the limit for some strange reason. And don't get me started on the brilliant idea of bloodletting.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Scow2 on August 22, 2010, 10:26:04 PMI say they survive through the power of Pencil Genetics: What you see presented is what's possible.

The core of science is the observed world. Physics function as observed in Furrae.

Fae and Dragons seem to mess with physics at-will anyway, so please stop killing catgirls.

I gotta agree, pencil-genetics is powerful stuff.
And it's a good point about physics using observation.

Offcourse, the sun in Mabs fairy glen was making faces at people - So by that observation, the sun is alive!!

am i doin it rite ?

:D

Quote from: Bjalf on August 23, 2010, 02:57:13 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 04:12:41 PMI remember reading an old medieval article regarding how large machinery could get, and they set some rather strict limits on it with the argument that any bigger and the rivets would break or fall out of the metal. I believe they considered about 30 meter tall as the limit.

Then someone invented welding, and now we have cranes that are a LOT bigger then puny 30 meters.
Meh, what did they know? The Eiffel Tower is riveted together. They could be frighteningly clueless in the old days.

When trains were invented, they thought that humans would die (explode, lungs collapse, or whatever) if they travelled faster than 100km/h or thereabouts. They had to keep upping the limit for some strange reason. And don't get me started on the brilliant idea of bloodletting.

Ah yes, the eifel tower does put things in perspective.
Though one could be pessimistic and say it's not a machine.

I must admit, I had not heard about the 100km myth, though it seems awfully much like the "faster than light" myth going about nowadays.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 23, 2010, 09:38:23 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on August 23, 2010, 02:57:13 AMWhen trains were invented, they thought that humans would die (explode, lungs collapse, or whatever) if they travelled faster than 100km/h or thereabouts. They had to keep upping the limit for some strange reason.

I must admit, I had not heard about the 100km myth, though it seems awfully much like the "faster than light" myth going about nowadays.

It was difficult to find any references, but I found one:
QuoteIt was feared that speeding trains would make cows go off their food; horses would become extinct. Human lungs would collapse at the unnatural speed of 30mph.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/the-last-journey-of-william-huskisson-by-simon-garfield-615341.html

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.