Cubi Clan Symbol Above Hairline

Started by ChaosMageX, August 17, 2010, 03:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

I've been wanting to ask this for a while now.  If a cubi's clan symbol appears above their hairline, what happens when their hair grows over it?  I can think of three possibilities so far, from best to worst case scenario:

--The hair covers and conceals it completely like it would with a conventional scalp tattoo, allowing the cubi to easily hide their clan symbol except in the cases when shape-shifting into a species that does not have hair.

--The clan symbol acts like an alternate skin tone, causing the hair growing out of it to be the same color as the clan symbol, appearing as a permanent highlight.  This "highlight" may or may not glow along with the clan symbol when the cubi is casting magic.

--The clan symbol literally appears as is on the surface of the hair, no matter what the style of the hair, and even if it shifts position, almost as if it's being projected onto the cubi's head.  This would make it nearly impossible to hide without a hat or other headgear.

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about this idea.  Just how would having a clan symbol above the hairline affect a cubi's hair?

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Abel's hair is pretty weird:
"The brown tips of Abel's hair is a natural thing. If he cuts his hair, the ends will automatically turn brown."

...going by that it wouldn't surprise me if the hair somehow reflected the clan mark in your scenario.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anker Steadfast

Considering that Abel is supposed to have hair all over his body, I think the question is a bit moot ?

Obviously, the hair is colored too, or you wouldn't see his mark on his backside.
This is a furry adventures comic after all. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 17, 2010, 05:37:10 AM
Considering that Abel is supposed to have hair all over his body, I think the question is a bit moot ?

When you put it that way, yes - this looks like a case of not seeing the wood for trees.

Bjalf

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 17, 2010, 05:46:21 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 17, 2010, 05:37:10 AM

When you put it that way, yes - this looks like a case of not seeing the wood for trees.

Actually, because of the PG rating, we will never see Abel's wood. Not even when he's sitting in a tree, wearing a mini-skirt.

:D

That_wolf

For that, I curse. Everybody's gay for Abel.
Abel needs a hug...

Anker Steadfast

And so, i do believe, we have covered all the bases of Abel ... or at least some of them

Now we just need Abel to cover Abel .. in some clothes.  :U

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 17, 2010, 03:40:21 AM
Abel's hair is pretty weird:
"The brown tips of Abel's hair is a natural thing. If he cuts his hair, the ends will automatically turn brown."

...going by that it wouldn't surprise me if the hair somehow reflected the clan mark in your scenario.

Ah yes, I forgot about the magical nature of Abel's hair.  That and the fact that these clan symbols appear above the fur leads me to believe that the latter two theories are more feasible.  However, I did speculate on the first theory because hair, even on anthro animals, tends to grow differently than fur, so it may have different results when it comes to markings above the hairline.

This also begs the question of how exactly tattoos in this world work themselves.  I tried googling for tattoos on animals, but as usual most of hits are of tattoos of animals on humans.  The few animals I'm getting are pigs, sphinx cats, and other animals with little or no fur.

Considering that tattooing is the art of putting ink into the dermal layer of the skin, wouldn't conventional tattoos be covered by fur?
How exactly would you put a tattoo on an animal with a thick layer of fur?
Would it be burned into the fur like branding a cow or would dye be injected into the fur follicles to permanently discolor them or would it be done some other way?

Going back to my theories, and I'd say that the most likely one is the middle one, as the hair would grow out of it just as fur would, but since hair is much longer, it would appear as a highlight on the hair, just as how Abel's brown tips appear as highlights and always appear, no matter what his hair length.

Also, I think the middle theory would give more aesthetically pleasing results in a high quality picture, like ones done by Goldenwolf and Myenia, then the third one.  I do believe that it would basically look like another fur marking, like the spots on a dalmatian, only more elaborate.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 17, 2010, 11:38:44 AM
This also begs the question of how exactly tattoos in this world work themselves.  I tried googling for tattoos on animals, but as usual most of hits are of tattoos of animals on humans.  The few animals I'm getting are pigs, sphinx cats, and other animals with little or no fur.

Magic.  Not as a get-out, but that seems to be one way it's done:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Abel_41.php
...Whether that's the only way is another matter.

Bjalf

Quote from: That_wolf on August 17, 2010, 09:02:41 AM
For that, I curse. Everybody's gay for Abel.

Well, there's always Rule 34. There is a ... link ...  that is too naughty to post on these boards :eek

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Bjalf on August 19, 2010, 05:43:31 AM
Quote from: That_wolf on August 17, 2010, 09:02:41 AMFor that, I curse. Everybody's gay for Abel.
Well, there's always Rule 34. There is a ... link ...  that is too naughty to post on these boards :eek

And everybody tried to click on the "link" text anyways. :D

Also, is that link too naughty for a private message ?
It's not for me, it's for .. my cat ! Yes, my cat!
Curious cat is curious, y'know ?

>:3

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 19, 2010, 06:24:34 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on August 19, 2010, 05:43:31 AM
Quote from: That_wolf on August 17, 2010, 09:02:41 AMFor that, I curse. Everybody's gay for Abel.

And everybody tried to click on the "link" text anyways. :D

Bwahaha!   :veryevil              Dang, what a wasted goatse opportunity! (No, don't google that ...)

... you have a PM. I mean, your cat has a PM. Shame on you, naughty cat!

Mao

Ugh, I fail to see what part of these last three posts couldn't have been done in PM's.  Thanks for sharing guys, you're pure class.

Bjalf

Quote from: Mao Laoren on August 19, 2010, 07:49:54 AM
Ugh, I fail to see what part of these last three posts couldn't have been done in PM's.

But then the pervs wouldn't be exposed!

Ooh, bad mental images ...  :erk

Thanks for sharing guys, you're pure class.

Thank you, I'm so happy that you approve!   :D

Rakyth

Quote from: Mao Laoren on August 19, 2010, 07:49:54 AM
Ugh, I fail to see what part of these last three posts couldn't have been done in PM's.  Thanks for sharing guys, you're pure class.

*Sips tea* I say.