05/09/2010 [DMFA#1116] - It makes family reunions a little trickier, certainly.

Started by Jairus, May 09, 2010, 02:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howl

I really hope Aniz ain't dead. My bet is that a huge bit- err, Destania already got to him.

D'ymkarra

I for one, honestly don't believe Aniz is dead; it would likely take a decently powerful creature to do so, and as such, a confrontation of that magnitude would hardly go unnoticed.

More likely is that Aniz will be showing up at SAIA on or around Abel's birthday, and Fa'Lina's "volunteering" Abel to look after Dan was simply a convenient way of avoiding said confrontation. Fa'Lina has likely known of Abel's plan ever since he first arrived at SAIA, but for reasons known only to her, it's in everyone's best interest they not meet at this time.

'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Hanii Puppy

I smell an adventure

VAE

Hmm i rather hope that whatever happened to Aniz, it involved Destania
It would utterly suck to have your revenge subject killed before you are able to do anything.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: D'ymkarra on May 09, 2010, 11:06:10 AM
More likely is that Aniz will be showing up at SAIA on or around Abel's birthday, and Fa'Lina's "volunteering" Abel to look after Dan was simply a convenient way of avoiding said confrontation.

I like that idea.

If true, it may be for the best.  After all, if Aniz learned from his mistakes and actually brought the child up correctly this time, said child would not be happy at his/her father being murdered.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: D'ymkarra on May 09, 2010, 11:06:10 AM
I for one, honestly don't believe Aniz is dead; it would likely take a decently powerful creature to do so, and as such, a confrontation of that magnitude would hardly go unnoticed.

not really, by the sounds of it anybody moderately powerful could take Aniz out... he's apparently not very god at self def.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 09, 2010, 10:15:38 AM

I get the feeling he is dead, though, because I don't understand why Abel would bring up the subject in the first place if he had simply moved on.

If he is dead, I hope they destroyed the corpse. You can never be too careful.

*EDIT* Actually, quick thought and sorry if it has already been mentioned or implied. What if Aniz somehow managed to make allies that makes it very difficult for assault or attempted capture?
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Turnsky on May 09, 2010, 11:47:00 AM
Not really, by the sounds of it anybody moderately powerful could take Aniz out... he's apparently not very god at self def.

Yeah, according to this, you are completely correct. My assumption was that from his years posing as Cid, he would have picked up a thing or three; he did manage to survive for years as an adventurer.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

jeffh4

Quote from: D'ymkarra on May 09, 2010, 01:47:59 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on May 09, 2010, 11:47:00 AM
Not really, by the sounds of it anybody moderately powerful could take Aniz out... he's apparently not very god at self def.

Yeah, according to this, you are completely correct. My assumption was that from his years posing as Cid, he would have picked up a thing or three; he did manage to survive for years as an adventurer.
I don't think that is much of a feat.  The average cubi is more powerful than the average adventurer, and any cubi posing as an adventurer can 1) surprise their opponent with a cuibi attack (one surprise is all it takes in a fight), and/or 2) revert to cubi mode to finish off the opponent.  All he/she would have to do is make sure there are no witnesses.  The largest worry would be multiple sentient opponents and not being able to teleport out for whatever reason.. . . or getting surprised by your opponent.

Anri

Apologies for the slight off topic but I just noticed what the karma counter/buttons cot changed to. Whoever did this I'll have you know you have me listening to Culture Club right now! :T

Back on topic! Regardless of how correct any one of us speculates, Amber will prolly still find a way to depantsu us all with something!

Shachza

OK, at some point Fi has to realize that the conversation happening next to him is more soap-y than the Soap.

I also don't like the Edward-is-Aniz theory because then Dan (of clan Cyra) would be brothers with Abel (of clan Siar).  That opens a whole new can of worm-mythos' on just how clans interact when it comes to intra-species relationships, and especially children.
            <-- #1 that is!

Anri

Quote from: Shachza on May 09, 2010, 02:34:25 PM
OK, at some point Fi has to realize that the conversation happening next to him is more soap-y than the Soap.

I also don't like the Edward-is-Aniz theory because then Dan (of clan Cyra) would be brothers with Abel (of clan Siar).  That opens a whole new can of worm-mythos' on just how clans interact when it comes to intra-species relationships, and especially children.

I seem to recall something about the more powerful of the two clans takes over as far as what the child becomes. Either that or I'm misremembering.

ishidan

Edit-had something here that missed Fa'alina's changing of the timeline a few panels later.  Obviously, not enough coffee for me yet today..

You know, I am a fan of the old cartoon series ReBoot.  I remember when the megalomaniac virus Megabyte was taken over by a monster even stronger than he, and the combined beast tried to absorb the other virus in the system, the chaos-bringer Hexadecimal.  The merge was stopped by the Guardian program Bob, leading to the following exchange.

Bob:  You'd better start talking, Hex.  You and Megabyte started to merge back there!
Hex:  Yes, Bob.  We are from the same viral strain.
Bob:  The same family?
Hex:  Oh, no.  It's far worse than that, Guardian.  He's...my...BROTHER!  Ahahahahahaaa!
Bob:  But you're always trying to destroy each other!
Hex:  Oh, that's just sibling rivalry.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ishidan on May 09, 2010, 02:51:15 PM
Timeline check, guys.  Aniz was able to drop another kid on Fa'alina three hundred years before this panel.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_014.php
"When Abel turns one hundred."

Yes, but then Aniz screws up (even more) and the ban is extended to 375 years.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_018.php

ishidan

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 09, 2010, 03:01:54 PM
Quote from: ishidan on May 09, 2010, 02:51:15 PM
Timeline check, guys.  Aniz was able to drop another kid on Fa'alina three hundred years before this panel.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_014.php
"When Abel turns one hundred."

Yes, but then Aniz screws up (even more) and the ban is extended to 375 years.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_018.php
Post changed, thanks. 

ishidan

Quote from: Anri on May 09, 2010, 02:42:25 PM
Quote from: Shachza on May 09, 2010, 02:34:25 PM

I seem to recall something about the more powerful of the two clans takes over as far as what the child becomes. Either that or I'm misremembering.
And apparently Cubi can change clans.  Not easy, but it can be done.  http://missmab.com/Comics/Ab_057.php

Abel's an odd one, isn't he.  He's got the boat-light eyes and affinity for fancy clothes of Clan Quoar, his favorite food is Confusion as if he was Clan Dimanika, and he's not above laying out some healing magics and otherwise giving useful advice...these days..

Congo Jack

Well, if Dan's parents ARE Destania ans Aniz, then...why the hell would they still live at Lost Lake, pretending to be being? Since they both are cubi, and don't have to hide from each other anymore, they could darn well move someplace more comfortable to live and rise children for cubi. You know, cubi children? The offsprings of two cubi are going to be 100% cubi from the birth, not potentially developing in future.

lilpuppy23

I do believe Abel's definition of a "birthday" is outdated as well.

Gift Certificates? What are Gift Certificates?

jeffh4

I was re-reading today's comic and had a thought.  Abel has been trying so hard to not let anyone know anything about him or his past. He has wanted everyone to know absolutely zero personal information about him and his family.  Now he's confiding this to Dan.

Maybe that dream had a profound effect on old freckle-face.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 09, 2010, 03:16:27 PMWell, if Dan's parents ARE Destania ans Aniz, then...why the hell would they still live at Lost Lake, pretending to be being?

Last I checked, Lost Lake seems to be a nice place to live in ? :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 09, 2010, 03:16:27 PM
Well, if Dan's parents ARE Destania ans Aniz, then...why the hell would they still live at Lost Lake, pretending to be being?
From what Dan was saying in the early 600s of DMFA, Destania didn't hide her 'Cubi nature, because she was extraordinarily powerful.
Aniz - if he's still alive - may still be at risk from Jin and Zinvth, so even if he hasn't got back together with Destania, adopting a slightly different identity would be a sound strategy.  Being non-Cubi also reduces the risk of losing your head to a wandering adventurer.

RandomMetaphysics

Wow. Just... wow.
That "was" in "I was going to kill my father" is making me wonder what happened to Aniz that Abel can no longer kill him.
Part of me is saying "He's probably dead." Another part of me is saying "Politics!" and another part is saying "Go. Grab. Popcorn."

ishidan

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on May 09, 2010, 04:03:45 PM
Wow. Just... wow.
That "was" in "I was going to kill my father" is making me wonder what happened to Aniz that Abel can no longer kill him.
Part of me is saying "He's probably dead." Another part of me is saying "Politics!" and another part is saying "Go. Grab. Popcorn."
What we're trying to say here is Abel can't kill Aniz because Dan would be heartbroken...

Akisohida

Something HAD to happen to put Aniz permanently out of reach (death, power gap, what-have-you) or Abel would have kept his mouth shut.

He's been so tight lipped about his past that he would NOT say anything to Dan, unless said thing was 100% invalid now.

..At least, that's how I see it.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on May 09, 2010, 04:03:45 PM
Wow. Just... wow.

Aniz is likely still alive, and Abel would know I think, his father is his clan's leader, and he would know if he is dead or alive, not where he is.  (Fa'lina may know that)
People have brought up all ready, But Abel can't kill his father on his Birthday because
1)  He is in Lost Lake with Dan
2)  He will not be in SAIA when Aniz returns.  

Edward is Aniz theory
  Destania would know if Edward was Aniz, she dated him for centuries, and likely want to kill him.  Dan and Abel clans are different.  

PBH

Congo Jack

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 09, 2010, 03:44:02 PM
Quote from: Congo Jack on May 09, 2010, 03:16:27 PM
Well, if Dan's parents ARE Destania ans Aniz, then...why the hell would they still live at Lost Lake, pretending to be being?
From what Dan was saying in the early 600s of DMFA, Destania didn't hide her 'Cubi nature, because she was extraordinarily powerful.
Aniz - if he's still alive - may still be at risk from Jin and Zinvth, so even if he hasn't got back together with Destania, adopting a slightly different identity would be a sound strategy.  Being non-Cubi also reduces the risk of losing your head to a wandering adventurer.
True, cubi's way of life is not being who they seem to be. Still, wasn't the whole mess of Dan not being recognized as a cubi from the start, only possible because he has only one cubi parent?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 09, 2010, 05:45:22 PM
True, cubi's way of life is not being who they seem to be. Still, wasn't the whole mess of Dan not being recognized as a cubi from the start, only possible because he has only one cubi parent?
Whatever race Dan's father is, he would have known that his son was likely a 'Cubi, since he knew he was marrying one and the wings on their son being the same as Destania's is a pretty big clue :P

The 'mess' of Dan not knowing was caused by both his parents vanishing before he was - in their opinion - old enough to know.  Why they left it quite that late is something we don't have an answer to.

If you're suggesting that his headwings didn't come in at birth because he had Being blood, that's not actually how it works.  You're either born completely 'Cubi or not 'Cubi at all, and if you're a 'Cubi, your headwings come in when you reach adulthood, regardless of whether you had one or two 'Cubi as parents.
See also: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_304.php

EDIT:
IIRC from Amber's comments, Aary's headwings came in around 19, which is considered very early.  Both her parents were 'Cubi.

Unsilenced

So Abel's father is either dead or otherwise unavailable for killing.

Assuming he's dead, one wonders how he died.

Four options that I can see:

1: He is alive, but Abel cannot kill him. He might be protected by someone that Abel cannot defeat or too far in hiding to be found.
2: He was killed, but died at another person's hand.
3: Abel killed him "prematurely."
4: He "got a bridge dropped on him." +9001 epic if this happened.

Also: Family reunions that involve single combat are the best kind!
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Anri

Shachza

Quote from: Unsilenced on May 09, 2010, 06:24:33 PM
Also: Family reunions that involve single combat are the best kind!

No.

Though I do agree that Aniz getting bridge-squished would be an epic way to off him.  Could we have Hizel do it?
            <-- #1 that is!