Ratings Boosting Checklist

Started by Azexu, May 03, 2010, 04:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azexu

Circa 172, we hear of a list of "things most comics do in order to gain ratings and higher reader count." I'm just checking up on how much of that list has actually come to pass...

#1: Fanservice
Lots of checks (or is it just me?)

#2: Crude, Rage-inciting Generalizations
Well, there was Dan's anti-'cubi racism, but I don't think that qualifies. No check.

#3: Death of a Main Character
No, though there has been subtle foreshadowing. No check.

#4: Surprise Babies!
Only for a minor character (Jyrras's Mom), and a married one at that, with plenty of warning (and it hasn't even come to fruition yet). Oh, and once in a flashback. Overall, I say no check.

#5: Spritation
No check, thank Amber (and any other gods involved).

#6: Uncloseting
Check.

#7: G4m3zors
Not happening.

#8: New Main Character
Check.

#9: Overly Cute Mascot Character
I'd say Pip, but I'm too afraid of the teeth. Mink's an arguably-overcute character, but he isn't a mascot. Mows are overly cute mascots, but they aren't characters. I say no check.

#10: Shonen Ai
Only fictionaly, and we didn't get to see it. No check here.

So that's only 3 out of 10, by my reckoning. Whadda y'all think?

Turnsky

Fun fact: Amber takes to praise like a proper vampire takes to sunlight.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Bjalf

Quote from: Turnsky on May 03, 2010, 04:59:00 AM

Ooh, sparkly!

Let's all praise her, then!

... wait, a proper vampire ...

MT Hazard

Quote from: Azexu on May 03, 2010, 04:56:23 AM

DP has died (and got better) at least once. Dan has had two near death experiences.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Congo Jack

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 03, 2010, 05:47:55 AM
Quote from: Azexu on May 03, 2010, 04:56:23 AM

DP has died (and got better) at least once. Dan has had two near death experiences.
DP isn't main character. He's main target. :B

Who made those lists anyway?

Jairus

Quote from: Turnsky on May 03, 2010, 04:59:00 AM
She loses her powers and is a normal mortal? That's how Dracula reacted to sunlight in the original book if I remember correctly, which admittedly is a bit more interesting than bursting into flames. Makes vampires a lot tougher WITHOUT making them laughingstocks.

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 03, 2010, 11:46:15 AM
Who made those lists anyway?
Um... good question. It kinda feels like one of those internet things webcomic artists mail back and forth between each other.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Toast

Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2010, 11:53:35 AM
It kinda feels like one of those internet things webcomic artists mail back and forth between each other.

What! Someone get me a copy of this list, stat! :D

DMFA reader since 2000!

Brunhidden

my prediction- the current gaysplosion will be followed by a babysplosion as all female charachters are impreggernated within a few weeks of each other. this is then followed by most of the cast dying in some form of deathsplosion which has enough gorenography and epic fightatude to qualify as fanservice. following this the young and cute new charachters that just erupted from the groins of the original cast then replace the dead as the new main charachters. amber will suddenly have her own biological clock explode, have irrational feelings that she is old, and take out her frustrations on the new younger cast by conveying all her generalizations of younger people on them- the need for contrast will incorporate some of the dead cast returning as ghosts who are appalled at the new generation's antics and whatnot. the ghosts of the gaysplosion charachters who got caught in the deathsplosion will then have a shoen-aisplosion because theyre just that bored being dead and all
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Scrap Fish

Please tell me that's a pessimistic statement.
Please don't let it be eager optimism, please please please...

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

Scow2

Shonen-Ai/Yaoi, despite being fictional, is a Check! Especially concerning it's appearances in the non-canon comics, hosted both here and elsewhere. Also, it doesn't really belong on the list as the others, since it's merely a subject of Author Appeal, not fan-base appeal.

Death of a main character: Not in the story Proper, but Abel's Story more than makes up for it (And honestly, who doesn't read both? Both being the same place means a hit for the website is a hit, whether for DMFA or AS)

Cute Mascot Character: Fi is Check! Mows, despite not being actual characters, are an Iconic CHECK (Just look at the site decoration)

Crude, Rage-inciting generalizations: Checked at least eleven times by the recent few strips in both DMFA and AS (See the strips' official threads flamewars for proof]

Surprise Babies: The list is having a character have a child... the inexplicable surprise of them was just a gag to present the outcome as quickly-delivered and absolutely ridiculous as possible... Moira Gianna's pregnancy achieved the same dramatic effect at the time with the benefit of not becoming a burden once the novelty wore off. Then, we learn Mab has a daughter... I'd say Check.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Brunhidden on May 03, 2010, 01:57:43 PM
my prediction- the current gaysplosion will be followed by a babysplosion as all female charachters are impreggernated within a few weeks of each other ... deathsplosion ... amber will suddenly have her own biological clock explode, ... shoen-aisplosion...

With all those 'splosions, where's the Brunsplosion? :mowhappy :explosion
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 04, 2010, 03:04:21 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on May 03, 2010, 01:57:43 PM
my prediction- the current gaysplosion will be followed by a babysplosion as all female charachters are impreggernated within a few weeks of each other ... deathsplosion ... amber will suddenly have her own biological clock explode, ... shoen-aisplosion...

With all those 'splosions, where's the Brunsplosion? :mowhappy :explosion

I will ensure that there is one if said az#@!-splosions occur.  Which will only occur if Amber's freaks and drive the comic off a cliff.  Yea, like that would happen....

:tohell

:mowtongue PBH

Brunhidden

Quote from: Scrap Fish on May 03, 2010, 04:43:41 PM
Please tell me that's a pessimistic statement.
Please don't let it be eager optimism, please please please...

mostly im saying that amber could purposefully set this place on fire and urinate on the ashes and it would STILL be entertaining and awesome.

on the other hand the joke is that its not a joke- everything i said is close enough to what actually happens in comics and TV series to be more scary then funny  :<

also, as for brunsplosion- it just so happens i am violently flamable
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.