A Mink moment

Started by Aurawyn, April 27, 2010, 10:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurawyn

I had a "Mink moment" today..

For 5 hours today, As I was running back and forth between the computer lab, and my TRiO adviser's office to get her input and revisions on my English Research paper, so that I could submit it before today's deadline, It occurred to me that ... I might have seen something similar before...

Well, at least Mink knew what he was supposed to do a report on, I was still trying to figure out a topic and thesis 2 hours after I started working on my report today....

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aurawyn on April 27, 2010, 10:29:58 PM
Well, at least Mink knew what he was supposed to do a report on, I was still trying to figure out a topic and thesis 2 hours after I started working on my report today....

The coursework for the Database Architecture module I did was one of the most bizarre and Kafkaesque things I've ever had the misfortune to study.  What we were actually doing was attempting to intuit how the Oracle database worked internally by giving it various kinds of queries and studying the time it took to answer them.  However, this only became obvious after the fact, and the lecturer would only give us broad hints at what we were supposed to be achieving.
I only finally understood it while I was writing up the report in the early hours the night before the deadline.  Then of course I had to rewrite most of the report to reflect this new-found enlightenment.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ketchup-Crumbles

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 28, 2010, 04:11:52 AM
I only finally understood it while I was writing up the report in the early hours the night before the deadline.  Then of course I had to rewrite most of the report to reflect this new-found enlightenment.

I hated it so much, when I had such moments at the last 10% of exams. I still remember this bio-exam I had once (I think it was somehow connected to the evolution of snails) and only at the end it occurred to me my whole thesis might be wrong...

And I almost always do things at the last possible minute... I wish I had more of the other Mink-moments (like the Oolong got your shirt again or the Moment of panel 3 in here :) )

VAE

Hmm, back in high school i royally screwed up a lab exam, because the write-up had a "theory" section, so i began to derive the theoretical model for the situation with moderate sucess ,and wasted most of the time on it, not even having time to do a result section -  the end stages of my work looked a lot like the comic.

As far as latest- met deadline, a report here at engineering that was to be used at 9am i had send in at 7.15 am after pulling an epic allnighter
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Toast

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL FFFFFFFFFFFFF-

I had to do a 10 page report about something I was passionate about in one of my last years of college. I couldn't come up with anything, and I switched topics until the last week, where the topic changed to webcomics, and the thing was written in an afternoon.

But then it took the rest of the week to find sources that weren't internet sources. B[

DMFA reader since 2000!

Cvstos

Oh, I know that feeling all too well. VERY all too well.

It's what I'm feeling right now essentially.  Come on Cvstos, pull off passing these classes and you get to graduate. Just keep it together for three more weeks...
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Aurawyn

Quote from: Toast on April 28, 2010, 10:45:17 AM

I had to do a 10 page report about something I was passionate about in one of my last years of college. I couldn't come up with anything, and I switched topics until the last week, where the topic changed to webcomics, and the thing was written in an afternoon.

But then it took the rest of the week to find sources that weren't internet sources. B[

To quote Able "Buggering Hell?!"

How did you find non-internet sources when your topic was about something ON the internet?!

Naldru

Quote from: Aurawyn on April 28, 2010, 03:50:45 PM
Quote from: Toast on April 28, 2010, 10:45:17 AM

To quote Able "Buggering Hell?!"

How did you find non-internet sources when your topic was about something ON the internet?!
There are actually a number of print magazines that discuss material that is available on-line.  There were also books in the library on how to search the web.  If you look, you will find it.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

hartree

Been there. Done that. Spent 18 hours hunting a stupid bug in a pascal programing assignment that I should have seen in the first 10 minutes. Just barely managed to rip out all the debug code in time to ftp it in by the deadline.   :mowdizzy
Shoes for industry!

Naldru

I just leave the debug code in but place it in if statements based on a variable.  I then change the variable when I want to activate or deactivate the debug code.  After all, I'm probably going to have to debug it again the next time I make changes.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

hartree

Quote from: Naldru on April 29, 2010, 05:49:06 AM
I just leave the debug code in but place it in if statements based on a variable.  I then change the variable when I want to activate or deactivate the debug code.  After all, I'm probably going to have to debug it again the next time I make changes.

I'd do that now, but note the language. Pascal (How much Pascal gets used in CS courses now?). That's been more than a few years ago. This was in intro computer sci course (I was actually in physics) in the late 80s.  I was a bit less sophisticated then. :mowwink
Shoes for industry!