[Music] Tapewolf - ...And Daryil Answered (LP)

Started by Tapewolf, April 20, 2010, 06:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This is my sixth effort at progressive rock albums, ...And Daryil Answered (or: Hippy Music Volume 6 - Songs of Lies and Larceny).  As usual, most of the tracks were previously published in my thread, albeit in different versions.  In most cases, the ones I now present are substantially better than the earlier demos.

Here is the link:  http://www.dougtheeagle.com/ada.htm
...I'll also be uploading it to Jamendo presently.

The cover art was done by Ren and myself - thanks again to Turnsky for the logo.  The CD booklet is 8 pages, most of which are illustrated in some way.  There's a PDF version which can be downloaded alongside the songs.
I'm going to try and get a short run of CDs pressed, and (volcanoes notwithstanding) I'll be taking some of them to Anthrocon, but as usual the number will be limited by the weight and the pathetically low $100 allowance that US customs enforces.

Guest vocals have Jairus as the Demon on Daryil Answered.  Mastering was done by Alex Balzama at Swift Audio Solutions, London.

As promised, this album is rather lighter than its morbid predecessor.  The original theme was 60s psychedelia, which explains the first side of the album.  I have deliberately split it so that the first 'side' is based more upon 1960s and early 1970s instruments, and the second 'side' has more emphasis on 1980s and 1990s sounds.

My favourite track has to be the title track, "Daryil Answered", which was directly inspired by Dan's fight with Dark Pegasus, and forum speculation on how it might have ended.  The original title of the track was "...And Cyra Answered", though now that we know there are only two members of that clan - including Dan - it's a good job I backtracked on that.
Daniel LaGrange is about the same character, incidentally, but before he went looking for his book.

"Last Days of the Brotherhood" - I suspect many people will recognise what that's all about.  It's one of the tracks which I've kept fairly close to my chest and has not been published here before.  The revamped version of SAIA Blues is also new, to the best of my knowledge.

I guess my least favourite track is the Incubus Song, which came into my head during the last days of Anthrocon 2008 if memory serves.

Thanks again to Ren, Keaton and Wuff for their support and valued opinions on the music.  And also to Robbie, who is hosting the files :3

All tracks were recorded on 8-track tape at 15ips except 4, 5, 7 & 10, which were  recorded 16­track using two synced tape machines.

http://www.dougtheeagle.com

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Awesome! I really like the music you make in general (although you have not much reason to care)
- Princes of dreams, One less hero, Chanticlear ascendant and Journey to the kingdom of H-ann are utterly awesome songs!  I really like the "electric organ" sound which is used in esp. the first song mentioned - reminds me of some music of my country

If you care for some now-obsolete input, i must say that the original version would have been OK - Cyra has still clan members meaning Dan can have kids in the future, and more importantly she can use him to convert more members. This way of course it is safer should they die but in a different time segment it would still work!
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 20, 2010, 06:37:41 PM
I'm going to try and get a short run of CDs pressed, and (volcanoes notwithstanding) I'll be taking some of them to Anthrocon, but as usual the number will be limited by the weight and the pathetically low $100 allowance that US customs enforces.
This may be flirting with disaster, but have you considered bringing a netbook, external CD burner, and at least $20 American cash/have it exchanged there, and buy a stack of CDs to burn at the con or in the hotel/whatever?

I have no idea of the legal issues that could arise from this, though... (And there's probably something...)

Tapewolf

Quote from: danman on April 20, 2010, 07:13:04 PM
Awesome! I really like the music you make in general (although you have not much reason to care)
- Princes of dreams, One less hero, Chanticlear ascendant and Journey to the kingdom of H-ann are utterly awesome songs!  I really like the "electric organ" sound which is used in esp. the first song mentioned - reminds me of some music of my country

Heh, thanks.  You're probably thinking of this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammond_organ

...the first couple of albums used a Roland MVS-1 for that sound.  Partway during "Songs for the Wild-at-heart" I upgraded to get a digital Hammond clone (the Hammond XM-1) and a decent Leslie simulator.  The difference is light night and day.

QuoteIf you care for some now-obsolete input, i must say that the original version would have been OK - Cyra has still clan members meaning Dan can have kids in the future, and more importantly she can use him to convert more members. This way of course it is safer should they die but in a different time segment it would still work!

If anyone is curious the earlier, unfinished versions are here:
http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/audio/and_cyra_answers.wav.mp3
http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/audio/and_cyra_answers2.wav.mp3
...it shows part of how the song evolved.

EDIT:

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 20, 2010, 08:28:59 PM
This may be flirting with disaster, but have you considered bringing a netbook, external CD burner, and at least $20 American cash/have it exchanged there, and buy a stack of CDs to burn at the con or in the hotel/whatever?
The CD burner is bigger than the netbook, but that's an interesting idea.  There are two problems - it would still mean bringing the booklets, and also the CD labels would be hand-written, which is going to suck.  The thermal printer I used previously requires special disks and is yet more weight.

QuoteI have no idea of the legal issues that could arise from this, though... (And there's probably something...)
Difficult to say.  I'm just handing the things out to anyone who wants them, it's not like I'm selling them.

Drayco84

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2010, 05:10:36 AM
The CD burner is bigger than the netbook, but that's an interesting idea.  There are two problems - it would still mean bringing the booklets, and also the CD labels would be hand-written, which is going to suck.  The thermal printer I used previously requires special disks and is yet more weight.
Bigger than a netbook? Dude... How old is that burner?
Here's some... And the Asus one? Worked beautifully in PCLOS. (Once I disabled autoplay/whatever. But, I think the program I used needs that to be disabled anyway, or it borks the disk.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 21, 2010, 01:44:59 PM
Bigger than a netbook? Dude... How old is that burner?
It's a stock CD/DVD writer in a 5.25" USB chassis.  I've only really used it for installations, never needed to take it on the road, as it were.
However, I have been tempted to look for a smaller one that doesn't need its own PSU - like the ones you've listed - but I haven't done so yet.

Either way, one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a short run duplicated is because I've never been sure whether the home-burned ones will actually play properly.  I don't have the time or resources to test them...

llearch n'n'daCorna

They usually play properly, but not _always_. So professionally burned is probably better.

... incidentally, I should get hold of you at some point and get a copy of your albums on cd...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

WhiteFox

Most MP3 players have USB ports, and act as flash drives. iPods don't play MP3s, but they can be partitioned for data storage. You might not need burned copies at all, if you have the files on your notebook. Having a physical CD in a case is way cooler then just digital copies, though.

I'm still listening to the album, so I don't really have a fully formed opinion on each of the songs just yet. I'm still listening to it, though, so I must be enjoying the album.

(Except for "Fishsticks." But the rest of it, I could loop all day long.)

As for the album in general... I like the instrumentation, but I'm not fond of the vocals. The rythm is forced here and there, and the rhyming scheme is simple and straightforward.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

VAE

Ipods do not need to be partitioned - they just mount as straight fat32 and you can store data there without slightest problem
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 23, 2010, 04:17:14 AM
Most MP3 players have USB ports, and act as flash drives. iPods don't play MP3s, but they can be partitioned for data storage. You might not need burned copies at all, if you have the files on your notebook. Having a physical CD in a case is way cooler then just digital copies, though.

It's a lot more difficult - and expensive - to leave a stack of MP3 players on the freebie table at Anthrocon for people to help themselves, though...

Quote(Except for "Fishsticks." But the rest of it, I could loop all day long.)
That was really done as a reaction to some of the actual 1960s psychedelia, so it's not really meant to be taken seriously.  'Course, you probably worked that out from the subject matter  >:3
I can easily imagine this being one of the ones that you're questioning the lyrics to as well, truth is I fluffed one of the verses and kept the take as I was running out of time that night.  In the original writing, it was supposed to be "And if the moon came out to play".  This song was ultimately recorded as a demo, but ended up being used more-or-less in its original form since I wasn't sure I'd be able to recreate it.

QuoteAs for the album in general... I like the instrumentation, but I'm not fond of the vocals. The rythm is forced here and there, and the rhyming scheme is simple and straightforward.
This came up before, and unfortunately the answer is still the same - I'm not a poet, and probably never will be.
With all respect, if this is an important part of your criteria, I'd say you're going to be disappointed with most of the music out there, period  >:3

That said, I have taken your comments to heart after the last album, Daniel LaGrange was an attempt to improve on that, I don't really know if it worked.  Looking back, a lot of these were originally written before you pointed out its deficiencies.

It's also important to note that a lot of the time, I end up stuck.  Most of the songs end up with a gap in them, a missing verse that I keep banging my head against as the song is developed, and then I have to track the damned thing, so what happens is that I suddenly bang out any old crap just so that I can record it.
Daniel LaGrange suffered from this, actually - the whole last verse was written five minutes before it was recorded  :rolleyes

Keleth

iPods don't play MP3s.

Huh. *looks at his MP3 of Bohemian Rhapsody that's playing on his iPod Nano. Then looks at all 6 gigs of Solid MP3s in his library*

Interesting. Interesting indeed.
Help! I'm gay!

WhiteFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 23, 2010, 04:55:41 AM

It's a lot more difficult - and expensive - to leave a stack of MP3 players on the freebie table at Anthrocon for people to help themselves, though...

Which is why other people bring you their MP3 player or flash drive, connect to your netbook over USB, and you can upload a copy to them.

...I forgot to mention that part, didn't I?

:B <-Moron.

Quote from: Drathorin on April 23, 2010, 11:39:24 AM
iPods don't play MP3s.

Huh. *looks at his MP3 of Bohemian Rhapsody that's playing on his iPod Nano. Then looks at all 6 gigs of Solid MP3s in his library*

Interesting. Interesting indeed.
As far as I understood things, you couldn't just copy MP3s onto an iPod if you wanted to play them. When iTunes synchronizes, it converts the MP3 into some other file format. Or compression. Or something. I could be wrong. Probably. There may be DRMs involved, I dunno.

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 23, 2010, 12:33:22 PM
Which is why other people bring you their MP3 player or flash drive, connect to your netbook over USB, and you can upload a copy to them.

It doesn't cover the same target market.  It works for people who know what it is, but a CD left on a table, anyone who likes the look of it can have, whether they've heard of me or not.

However, printing a set of business cards with the album cover on it and the URL next to it would be an interesting compromise.

QuoteAs far as I understood things, you couldn't just copy MP3s onto an iPod if you wanted to play them. When iTunes synchronizes, it converts the MP3 into some other file format. Or compression. Or something. I could be wrong. Probably. There may be DRMs involved, I dunno.
That's how it always used to work.  Also why I never wanted one.

Keleth

When it sycronizes, it like, copies the MP3 to the iPod, and does some copy protection so you can't copy the files from the iPod easily to another computer. That 'proection' being it renames the MP3/AAC that's on the iPod.

You can tell iTunes to convert your MP3s to AAC if you -want- By default it imports audio CDS into AAC. But you can easily click 3 buttons and change it to MP3.

Why does it do this? AACs are smaller per same quality rate as a MP3 and they use slightly less electricity, which in a portable device means longer listening times.

Really guys, the device has been out almost a full decade, (Or has if you count the original, which YES it still played MP3s) You'd think you'd know how some of it worked.
Help! I'm gay!

Drayco84

I'm finally home to listen to this stuff and OH MY WORD! Some of this is kinda depressing...

You've also shot to hell all of your credibility as a mod thanks to your Fishsticks song... WHICH IS GONNA BE STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL WEEK! THANKS A BUNCH, MAN! (The point is still valid, though... Very, very few people like fishsticks... No, I'm not one of them.)

Minor stuff/improvements for the PDF, like marking the refrains, fixing a few spelling issues. (Ones that spellcheck didn't catch.)  But really, the refrain thing is optional.

From what I've heard, it's all pretty good. If you're not already doing so, set up an MP3 player or something to play it at where you're set up. (Especially since you're handing it out anyway.)

VAE

What?
I liked both the song, and actual fishsticks - they are tasty and very cheap which makes them into good student chow
I have no idea why someone might think this depressing  though.
Although.. When my mother heard it during holidays, she thought even Chanticlear ascendant was depressing - i then just for comic effect played "evermore" and nearly choked laughing as she began to wonder aloud whether it is some satanist music....
Saphroneth

Drayco84

No, I'm referring to "Last Days of the Brotherhood", "All Machine", "SAIA Blues", and "Mr. Apoclaypse" as kinda depressing. (Especially the background music.) And I'm only using "kinda" as I've heard more depressing. (No, I'm not going to go on about the other stuff I've listened to. The focus here in on Tapewolf, unless he gives explicit permission. Heck, I don't like dragging in that one example.)

As for me, fishsticks aren't bad, but they're breaded cod that's been deep fried until it's lost half of the flavor, and then frozen, which kills even more, and finally microwaved of baked. (And the former kills what little is left.) Granted, cod isn't as good as tilapia, salmon, etc. (And I used to eat canned tuna for lunch in elementary school. Now, all canned fish and canned chicken tastes like tuna, but I think that's because of the water they put in it.) During my high school and college days, I ate peanut butter on a regular basis. A large spoonful of straight peanut butter, mind you. (Add almost anything else, and you'll spend five minutes using your tongue to unstick anything off the roof of your mouth.) Dry cereal also works well as snack food.

Ramen's good and pretty cheap, but you just get hungry again in half an hour...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 24, 2010, 12:31:30 AM
No, I'm referring to "Last Days of the Brotherhood", "All Machine", "SAIA Blues", and "Mr. Apoclaypse" as kinda depressing.

Yeah, the Brotherhood song probably would come across a little weird if you don't get the reference.  It was actually difficult to sing that one with a straight face.

SAIA Blues... I've been trying to make work for so long that all emotional impact of it has long since washed away.  But yes, I'll give you that one, though I always figured the final chorus - where he's starting to come to terms with it - wasn't all that bad.

Mr. Apocalypse doesn't really have a plot or any kind of point to it at all, it just is.  If you were to try and infer something into it you probably could make something quite depressing out of it.

All Machine is about three people conquering death by becoming androids (though yes, they did have to die first).  Two of these you may recognise if you read Project Future, the other one isn't going to happen for a few more years.

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 23, 2010, 10:47:03 PM
The point is still valid, though... Very, very few people like fishsticks... No, I'm not one of them.
The funny thing is that Fishsticks is my featured submission on Furaffinity.  No, I don't understand it either.

QuoteMinor stuff/improvements for the PDF, like marking the refrains, fixing a few spelling issues. (Ones that spellcheck didn't catch.)  But really, the refrain thing is optional.
I noticed that although the MP3 filename on the first track was correct, the ID3 tag wasn't.  That I will have to fix, though it shouldn't upset the Jamendo version which makes its own.
I did notice a couple of typos while putting the lyrics into Jamendo, but now I cannot find them.  I think one of them was that it didn't quite match the song...
Anyway, if you can point any out that would be most appreciated as I'm hoping to get the booklet into a printable form over the weekend.

QuoteFrom what I've heard, it's all pretty good. If you're not already doing so, set up an MP3 player or something to play it at where you're set up. (Especially since you're handing it out anyway.)

Yeah, it's not like I'm actually planning to set up a stall or something.  I just leave some CDs on the table where the leaflets and business cards all go, and hand out a few more to friends etc.
What I might do is bring a set of lossless FLAC files so that if anyone wants a high-quality copy that way, I can copy it to a laptop of whatever they may have that can take them.

EDIT:
As for depressing, albums to avoid include:
Pink Floyd - 'The Wall', and 'The Final Cut' (basically, things which were too depressing for The Wall)
Nick Cave - Murder Ballads

...you probably wouldn't be too impressed by my 'Three Little Pigs' album either, that is probably one of the darkest things I've ever done.  So maybe this just brighter by comparison.
Unfortunately the better songs are usually the ones with a dark aspect to them because it's usually some kind of emotional kick that inspires me to write them.

VAE

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 24, 2010, 12:31:30 AM
No, I'm referring to "Last Days of the Brotherhood", "All Machine", "SAIA Blues", and "Mr. Apoclaypse" as kinda depressing. (Especially the background music.) And I'm only using "kinda" as I've heard more depressing. (No, I'm not going to go on about the other stuff I've listened to. The focus here in on Tapewolf, unless he gives explicit permission. Heck, I don't like dragging in that one example.)

By "this" i meant the whole of the album - and as for the background music - it is in most rather fast paced syntethiser melody which is for me anything but what you say....
But it is not too important anyway.

As far as strange foods go, one of the worse internate-made things i conceived when out of resources was pasta with baked beans.
Well if it had some condiments and other food and vegetables might have not been bad, but as far as constructed (i did have nothing else then) it was only nutritious. :D
Saphroneth

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 23, 2010, 12:37:08 PM
QuoteAs far as I understood things, you couldn't just copy MP3s onto an iPod if you wanted to play them. When iTunes synchronizes, it converts the MP3 into some other file format. Or compression. Or something. I could be wrong. Probably. There may be DRMs involved, I dunno.
That's how it always used to work.  Also why I never wanted one.
<rant>
And -this- is why I will never buy an Ipod, or most MP3 players. A lot of higher end mp3 players(anything that supports DRM), requires you to use some special program for synchronization etc. And I absolutely despise such things. That being said, if you don't want that, you have two options: One, cheap/low-end MP3 players. Most cheap players just take whatever you give them, and are fat32 formatted. You put what you want on it however you want, it plays it. Two, alternate firmware(Which always gives you more features than the origional, things like a text-viewer and games. I use this on mine).
</rant>
-----

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 24, 2010, 03:00:23 AM
I noticed that although the MP3 filename on the first track was correct, the ID3 tag wasn't.  That I will have to fix, though it shouldn't upset the Jamendo version which makes its own.
I did notice a couple of typos while putting the lyrics into Jamendo, but now I cannot find them.  I think one of them was that it didn't quite match the song...
Anyway, if you can point any out that would be most appreciated as I'm hoping to get the booklet into a printable form over the weekend.
Here you go: (corrections are in bold)
1. Page 3, Last days of the Brotherhood: "Where I walked the streets ran red". Also, if it were up to me, I'd add some sort of Chrorus notation between that verse and the next.
2. Page 2, Fishsticks: "And now I don't know what to say, 'cause all my notes have blown away"
3. Page 3, SAIA Blues: "They let me wake in someone else's bed"
4. Page 3, SAIA Blues: "They probed my mind, and they probed my brain"
5. Page 3, SAIA Blues: "And there's just no question anymore"
6. Page 4, The Ballad of Daniel LaGrange: "My name is Daniel and I spent my whole life"
7. Page 4, The Ballad of Daniel LaGrange: "Everything seems different now for me"
7. Page 4, The Ballad of Daniel LaGrange: "Things I'd done were never as they seem"
8. Page 3, The Tome of Demonography: "I try to find, in my mind"
9. Page 4, All Machine: "I remember the flash just as he fired the gun"
10. Page 2: And Daryil Answered:
Missing chunk: "I am a child of Daryil, Clan of great nobility
I am a child of Daryil, no one else I'd rather be
I am a child of Daryil, and you can't take that from me
"

Aside from unmarked/missing refrains, that's all I see.

Hope that helps!

P.S. For whatever reason, Last Days of the Brotherhood is my favorite song on this album. It sounds awesome.

-Robbie

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on April 24, 2010, 07:02:34 AM
Here you go: (corrections are in bold)

Thanks very much - I believe the one I was thinking of was "streets ran rad" or whatever it said.  That and I got Mr. Balzama's name wrong.
Some of these are differences between how the lyrics were originally written and what was actually sung, which I've seen a lot in commercial stuff too.  

EDIT:
The one you missed is that Lucien is spelled inconsistently.  I'll have to check the game to find out how it's supposed to be spelled.

QuoteMissing chunk: "I am a child of Daryil, Clan of great nobility
I am a child of Daryil, no one else I'd rather be
I am a child of Daryil, and you can't take that from me
"

IIRC that was removed to allow it to actually fit.

QuoteP.S. For whatever reason, Last Days of the Brotherhood is my favorite song on this album. It sounds awesome.

Thanks.  It really was difficult to pull off, every step of the way something went wrong.
The earlier versions had really crappy vocals because I was singing out of my range.  I never really was very happy with the vocal performance, even now.   I also had problems syncing the two machines which nearly ruined the whole project.  I fixed that by using one of the lynx machines to regenerate the timecode which was, for some reason, getting slightly mangled - but just on that one song - and causing the sync box to panic.
I've never had that problem before or since, but it caused no end of heartache.

Actually, I used to have a clip of the sync failing, but I believe I've taken it off the site now.  If anyone is that interested I should be able to put it up again.

Incidentally, the weird sound in the reprise of Daryil Answered at the very end of the album, is what the Rosegarden sequencer does when it crashes - which happens with appalling regularity.  I must debug it someday.  But even so, it does a far, far better job of following timecode than Sonar does in windows.

WhiteFox

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on April 24, 2010, 07:02:34 AM
<rant>
And -this- is why I will never buy an Ipod, or most MP3 players. A lot of higher end mp3 players(anything that supports DRM), requires you to use some special program for synchronization etc. And I absolutely despise such things. That being said, if you don't want that, you have two options: One, cheap/low-end MP3 players. Most cheap players just take whatever you give them, and are fat32 formatted. You put what you want on it however you want, it plays it. Two, alternate firmware(Which always gives you more features than the origional, things like a text-viewer and games. I use this on mine).
</rant>

<fwiw>
I thought the same way... When I first got my iPod, it drove me nuts that I had to import all my MP3's into iTunes.

Then I realized how important it was to have that management software. If you have a dozen songs, fine. You can skip through them easily.

But... if you have a dozen albums? From all sorts of artists? Across several genres? Suddenly, being able to sort things by artist, album, genre, or make your own playlists becomes a little more necessary.
</fwiw>

VAE

I use another app (yamipod) since on linux itunes does not run, and it is a bloated program anyway, but still i consider it ANNOYING.
In the old 512 meg player which has all but died (i use it as a flashstick) i made folders with names of albums, or folders with a mix of songs... now there is the whole annoying system which means that one typo will  make another group.. including such stupid things as a trailing spacebar.
(I have quite a load of cd's therefore i must make all the ID3 labels myself)
Ah well, it is a gift horse...
Saphroneth

Keleth

I listened to 3 tracks. . . yeah. .

It's just not my thing.
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 24, 2010, 05:01:21 PM
<fwiw>
But... if you have a dozen albums? From all sorts of artists? Across several genres? Suddenly, being able to sort things by artist, album, genre, or make your own playlists becomes a little more necessary.
</fwiw>

Huh. I have ~250 or so, plus hundreds of loose individual files, across (obviously) multiple genres, from all sorts of artists. I prefer to avoid applications that generate a database, because they usually find it difficult to read in 7000 files, and then take an age to start up, load the huge database, find the folder I want to play, and then start playing that one folder.

But that's just me.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Raskahn

Warning: Do not attempt to drink any sort beverage whilst listening to "Fishsticks"

*Cleans computer screen*

-Edit-

I do like your music TW. And I'm wondering. (it's probably in the forum but, icba to look it up right now)
Do you use two different recordings for the songs? I mean one for the bass sounds and another for piano and vocals and then synchronise them later?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on April 28, 2010, 10:01:52 AM
I do like your music TW. And I'm wondering. (it's probably in the forum but, icba to look it up right now)
Do you use two different recordings for the songs? I mean one for the bass sounds and another for piano and vocals and then synchronise them later?

Oops, I missed the edit.  Anyway, thanks.
As for your question, it's sort of like that, but not quite.  This is going to be a complicated post.

With a computer you could do it that way - recording them separately and combining them afterwards, but I use a more traditional technique.
I have a pair of tape recorders, each of which can record and play back up to 8 sounds at once.
The approach I use is to record one track, e.g. the bass, and then go back and record the piano lines on the next track.  (And these are literally 'tracks', the width of the tape is divided into 8 separate strips).  You can listen to all the other tracks playing while you're recording one, so the trick is to ensure that you're playing in sync with what you can hear.  Basically everything recorded professionally from about 1966-1996 was done this way.

That's in principle.  In practice things are a bit muddier because it's possible to get the computer to handle the performance side of things, which I do, not really being able to play any instruments myself.  By recording a timecode on one of the tracks, you can make the computer follow it, and ensure that all the tracks are kept in sync.

Since 7 tracks isn't a great deal to work with, I will often get the computer to play multiple parts onto a single track, e.g. two different bass synthesizers, or bass synth and the bass guitar line.  For something really complex, like 'Daryil Answered' or 'Last Days of the Brotherhood', I will actually link two recorders together, which gives me up to 14 tracks to use (you lose one track each for the timecodes).

I hope that makes some kind of sense.  I've always intended to shoot a video of how I record music, but really it needs a very short piece of music to capture all of it, and since the computer is doing most of the grunt-work there's a lot of thumb-twiddling until it's time to record the vocals, or anything else which needs manual intervention.

EDIT:
http://dougtheeagle.com/lab/2009a.jpg
...this is the studio.  The synthesizers are on the far left, in a rack.  The two black machines are the 8-track recorders which everything is tracked to, on the far right is the recorder which records the final stereo mix.

EDIT EDIT:

If you want a simple analogy, it's basically done like karaoke, but over and over again, once for each instrument or voice.