Deathtrap Dungeon; Freedom is Slavery! (OOC; Closed)

Started by Mechanisto, March 20, 2010, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do we want to do OOC comments?

let's use OOC brackets; it's more precise!
2 (25%)
Let's pick a color to use for all OOC text; it's less cumbersome!
5 (62.5%)
I have a better idea... see my post in the OOC thread.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

SquirrelWizard

"Bask, y'jit." Urist thocks Zyrais on the knee leaving an unsightly smear of grime, "If'ndja wan lut y'pai mor."
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Liatai

Er... guys, don't you think we should be waiting for the IC thread to get in-character?  :animesweat

:shifty ... although if we're talking about suggestions for traps, I nominate timed block puzzles. With slick floors so that the blocks slide until they hit something or fall into a pit. Those things always eat up my time in adventure games...

Ashen Star

::Watches him toss the shiny thing, narrows her eyes, leans towards him, reaches out and then flicks him into next tuesday.:: Like I'm not a total moron, okay?  Hrmph.  ::Notices the shiny thing again.::  Ooooh pretty!  Like where did you come from?  Wicked sick!  ::She said as she lumbered back to her lair and left him to pick himself out of his wall crater.::

Drayco84

Quote from: Ashen Star on March 22, 2010, 05:11:04 PM
::Watches him toss the shiny thing, narrows her eyes, leans towards him, reaches out and then flicks him into next tuesday.:: Like I'm not a total moron, okay?  Hrmph.  ::Notices the shiny thing again.::  Ooooh pretty!  Like where did you come from?  Wicked sick!  ::She said as she lumbered back to her lair and left him to pick himself out of his wall crater.::

*Squeaks.* Owwwwwwwww... Why do... All of... My bones... Feel like... Shattered glass?

Anyway, Char sheet has been updated for hopefully the last time. (Along with the "Magnificent Bastard" line.) MagiTech has been specialized, so there's no way my char could possibly compete with Techmaster. Job specifics have also been specialized, so if someone wants to form a militia/REAL security detail, the door's wide open.

On an unrelated note, we're still missing a Cubi player, though...

Jumping puzzles will do, but what if you get those adventurers with stiff knees? What if they fall? And what about the one puzzle that is impossible to solve because somebody botched the translation from Japanese to English?!

Liatai

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 22, 2010, 06:05:44 PM
... Job specifics have also been specialized, so if someone wants to form a militia/REAL security detail, the door's wide open.

Maybe we'll be lucky and get someone from Taun's clan? They'd fit right in, in that case. :smile

VAE

Quote from: Liatai on March 22, 2010, 08:25:36 PM
... Job specifics have also been specialized, so if someone wants to form a militia/REAL security detail, the door's wide open.

Maybe we'll be lucky and get someone from Taun's clan? They'd fit right in, in that case. :smile

Hmm, although some characters come to mind, there is not that much anger around. Cyra clan would be ideal, but they are in short supply ...
Besides, as i mentioned. i think most cubi have better things to do than sit in caves, not to mention us having a DRAGON there
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

WhiteFox

I might note... just because there is only one person in the dungeon is in charge of artificing or enchanting doesn't mean that they're the only ones who can do enchanting.

I mean, Nathalzar is in charge of the library. That doesn't mean he's the only who can read books, or is allowed to.

Shush! If we're lucky, no one will notice.

Quote from: Liatai on March 22, 2010, 04:44:57 PM
Er... guys, don't you think we should be waiting for the IC thread to get in-character?  :animesweat

Seconded. :blankstare
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 22, 2010, 08:46:08 PM
I might note... just because there is only one person in the dungeon is in charge of artificing or enchanting doesn't mean that they're the only ones who can do enchanting.
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with that. But otherwise, yeah...I suppose I may have come off a little strong on that, but it's not that someone else can do enchanting, it was the way it was written and the way he was joking about it made it sound like his characters was suppsed to be as good/better than mine at it, and that's what I was reacting to...

Either way; my apologies, Draco.

VAE

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 22, 2010, 08:52:03 PM
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with that. But otherwise, yeah...I suppose I may have come off a little strong on that, but it's not that someone else can do enchanting, it was the way it was written and the way he was joking about it made it sound like his characters was suppsed to be as good/better than mine at it, and that's what I was reacting to...

His character was mainly supposed to be a boastful %#@.
I think he pulled it out a little too well  - reminds me of this comic
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 22, 2010, 08:52:03 PM

I totally understand, though. Earlier, I was slowly moving into position to try and steal some of your character's dynamics, (I assure you that I wasn't trying to!) and when you thought I was trying it again, you got defensive. As for me, yeah, I probably would've reacted in the same way, so I can't fault you for that.
And as for Zyrais's attitude, his whole goal is to make your first response something along the lines of "Ooooh, that bastard..." If that's your initial reaction, then he (And I) have succeeded. (It's also a fairly easy goal for me to keep, too.)

And... I'VE BEEN MISSPELLING THAT NAME ALL THIS TIME?! SONUVA(Censored)! Ugh... I always thought it was spelled "Drayco" in Dragonheart... Dammit...

Anyways, yeah, I'm gonna hold off on the IC RP until things are finalized. I'm getting too carried away already. (And it's kinda scary how liberating playing a remorseless jerk can be...) Yeah, I'm jumping the gun, but this is my first time really unleashing my evil side...
Do you know what side I picked in Overlord? Good! I passed up most of the evil actions because... Well, they just weren't evil enough! I mean, keep the food and let the villagers starve, or let them have it? IDIOCY! I wanted a healthy labor force! They can't get much done starving to death! And rescue the elven woman of grab a pile of gold? To heck with the gold! I wanted elven concubines! And keep the "nice" girl with a head for tactics or carry off the smokin' hot seductress? Of course I kept the nice girl! Superior tactics and planning aren't the whole battle, but they help! (And seriously, why the heck did I have to choose in the first place?)
Hmmm... Maybe I'm just too genre savvy for my own good here...

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me... Are we allowed to have concubines/slave boys? (I know they're rare, but we do have some lady players here...)

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 22, 2010, 11:43:27 PM
I totally understand, though. Earlier, I was slowly moving into position to try and steal some of your character's dynamics, (I assure you that I wasn't trying to!) and when you thought I was trying it again, you got defensive. As for me, yeah, I probably would've reacted in the same way, so I can't fault you for that.
And as for Zyrais's attitude, his whole goal is to make your first response something along the lines of "Ooooh, that bastard..." If that's your initial reaction, then he (And I) have succeeded. (It's also a fairly easy goal for me to keep, too.)
So, no hard feelings! :)  And...hmm. My character would porbably just try to ignore or avoid someone with such an attitude...

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 22, 2010, 11:43:27 PM
And... I'VE BEEN MISSPELLING THAT NAME ALL THIS TIME?! SONUVA(Censored)! Ugh... I always thought it was spelled "Drayco" in Dragonheart... Dammit...
Actually, now that I notice it *smacks forehead*, I think it looks cool...

WhiteFox

I would rather RP this stuff instead of talking about it endlessly.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 23, 2010, 01:14:30 AM
I would rather RP this stuff instead of talking about it endlessly.
I'd love to as well, but mechanisto hasn't shown up since this morning... :<

Drayco84

Yeah, that kinda has me concerned, too... Oh, backstory's done! Here's a copy in case you don't wanna look through the previous page to find my char sheet:

Random Village 01: Arrested and convicted for: Disturbing the peace, extortion, and acquiring concubines. Paid fine, records were expunged.

Random Village 06: Arrested and convicted for: Disturbing the peace, blatant disregard for public safety, rampant extortion, and acquiring concubines. Paid fine, records were expunged.

Random Village 11: Arrested and convicted for: Using technology to commit extortion, buying and selling unwilling concubines, astounding disregard to public safety, and using unsafe methods to extract cats from trees. Paid fine, records were expunged.

Random Town 19: Arrested and convicted for: Public indecency, using magic to acquire concubines without their pre-written consent, blatant disregard for public safety by annoying a Fae, and abusing caffeine. Not convicted of: Using technology to commit extortion. Paid fine, records were expunged.

Random Town 27: Arrested and convicted for: Exhibiting faked humans for the sake of profit, blatant disregard for public safety by annoying a Fae, a Dragon, and several Mythos, running an extortion ring, using technology to perpetrate extortion, racketeering, and hastening the speed of government corruption, using magic to enthrall beings without prior written consent, and misuse of a town bus. Paid fine, records were expunged.

Random City 39: Arrested and convicted for: Organizing and running a city-wide racketeering operation, practicing law without a license, running an illegal caffeine ring, buying and selling black market weapons and other goods, improper use of a pear tree and local wildlife, perverted voyeurism, attempting to revive disco, repeated use of technology for the perpetration of crime, abusing magic and unnatural charms to collect a willing harem of females, misusing magic to abuse public officials, misusing magic for forced public indecency, misusing magic to remove the clothes from a judge while in a court of law, misusing magic to summon thousands of banana peels, rainbow-colored candies, mows, and perpetrating chaos in general. Excused: Killing several circus clowns, due to repeated warnings about respecting his personal space. Paid fine, records were expunged.

Currently Wanted For: Blatant disregard of intellectual property and copyright laws, and possible tax evasion. (Highly expected to fake his own death at this point.) Considered armed, dangerous, irresistibly charming, and a bastard in general.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mechanisto

Sorry for the delay, all. I have been somewhat distracted... by the complete wipe and reinstall of my PC operating system. No more vista for me. Also no more hideously intolerable viruses and broken system options. Yay. It's nice being able to actually use more than 20% of my computer again.

In any case, I have much catching up to do. I shall be posting the RP itself soon. In the meantime, some rapidfire updates:

Drayco84's Zyrais is acceptable. Updating character roster to match!

techmaster-glitch is correct; Zyrais' ability to make magical artifacts is limited to security and surveillance devices. He merely dabbles, whereas Xephelon's knowledge runs both deep and wide.

danman is correct; handsome angles are unlikely to attract abberations, though they are still persuasive and charismatic. However, if you wanted to take "Unearthly Beauty/Handsomeness" as a supernatural power, you'd be attractive to almost all sentient life.

Litai: unfortunately, timed block puzzles are considered crimes against all sentient life. There's evil, and then there's evil...

Whitefox is correct, in that people's jobs can overlap, as long as they don't overshadow. We have a lot of engineering characters, with various specializations; there's room for some overlap.

Drayco84: The Dungeon will have to establish it's own ordinances and bylaws for various topics, including slavery. Part of the character's jobs will be to help sort those out in the first place. (Did I just hear Zyrais cackle...?)

Also, quick edit: technmaster-glitch has yet to specify the Creature Rating for his race. I have updated the descriptions in the first post to be more... descriptive. If there's still confusion, please let me know.

Mechanisto

And so it starts! The official IC thread is open.

I have decided, possibly against my better judgment, to let all eight players in the RP. Please let me know if I've made any mistakes, or if I've forgotten to do something. And I know this will probably go without saying, but...

The GM then explained that he would like people to phrase their posts as if they were writing any other kind of fiction, describing their character's actions.
   "For instance," he elaborated, " if your character says something, simply put it in quotes. It'd be nice if the RP read like a novel or story."

(OOC: Of course, if you need to break character to describe a character's action or ask an OOC question, feel free to do so like this with an OOC thingy. The more OOCs you use, the less chance of stepping on toes or doing things that make no sense.)

Hm. Or we could just pick a color, and then say that any text posted in that color is to be taken OOC. It might be less cumbersome than using brackets and tags...

I smell a new vote.

EDIT: I think we should use a color... but if we do, let's not use blue. It's hard on the eyes, for some reason. Ugh.

Liatai

Yay! :boogie

I vote for a color, seeing as color-coding seems to be working well so far, but something subtle that won't draw people's eyes away from the meat of the post... maybe a dark blue/navy blue? It's a little hard to see on the black default background, but we can always highlight it for more contrast if we need to.

techmaster-glitch

OOC comments should be... in the OOC thread. That's what it's for, isn't it? :B At least, that's how all the other RPs here handle it...

Mechanisto

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 23, 2010, 09:01:26 PM
OOC comments should be... in the OOC thread. That's what it's for, isn't it? :B At least, that's how all the other RPs here handle it...

Hm. I was referring to quick FYI notes to avoid confusion about character powers or "rules", like:

(OOC: My character is secretly using his magnetism power on the Iron Golem... if anyone has any metal objects, they'll be affected too)

In most cases, that sort of thing can be done simply in ordinary writing. We need not bother with it at all unless it becomes necessary to avoid confusion between players. If we wanted, we could limit comments to something like:

(posted details in OOC)

Just so people know there are OOC explanations and clarifications of whats going on in a post. Mostly I just hate it when players get confused about what's going on, and what other players are doing, and why.

Ooh... Teal is nice. Distinct, but not too rich.

WhiteFox

I'm all for OOC in colour comments, as long as they're just small notes and errata.

And, the teal is nice.

Mechanisto

Ooh, almost forgot...

Xephelon, Urist Rokkar and Nathalzar could very likely have been sent specific invitations for the event. Their players may decide for themselves if they actually were invited, or if they just showed up as an unlisted guest.

Other characters either don't have immediately essential skills, or would be too impractical to contact in a hurry.

techmaster-glitch

Oooh, that's very interesting... I think I shall incorporate it into the post I'm writing. Good thing you caught me before I finished ;)

Mechanisto

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 23, 2010, 10:25:34 PM
Oooh, that's very interesting... I think I shall incorporate it into the post I'm writing. Good thing you caught me before I finished ;)

Glad I caught you, then. :)

Also, the decision of how to depict OOC comments doesn't mean I want people to use OOC comments more than usual... I just everyone to use the same method.

SquirrelWizard

It will be a bit before I get an IC post up, kinda working on a big post with another rp.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

techmaster-glitch

Whew, finally got my post up...dang, you guys have been moving fast! :dface

WhiteFox

Posted. Short and sweet.

Heh... "Meat and Greet." Nice one.

Mechanisto

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 23, 2010, 11:35:45 PM
Posted. Short and sweet.

Heh... "Meat and Greet." Nice one.

Confession time. I spelled it properly at first, then said it out loud to myself... and had to edit.

WhiteFox

danman: Erm... is the quoting really necessary?

VAE

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 24, 2010, 12:09:24 AM
danman: Erm... is the quoting really necessary?
Oh, did i leave it in??
Sorry, deleting (i quote so that i can see the orig text then erase)
Saphroneth