Obligatory Introduction thread

Started by Mechanisto, March 15, 2010, 01:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mechanisto

Greetings all.

I've actually been lurking for some time now (bet you never get tired of hearing that one),  and have had an inexplicable hankering for forum RPs as of late. I figured I should at least introduce myself beforehand. Yes, I've read the rules and agree to abide by them. Yes, including the rules specific to the RP forum. If I ever start bending them, please let me know... the first rule of being a jerk is that you usually have no idea your being a jerk.

As such, I probably won't poke my nose out of the RP subforum very often. My interests include programming, gaming, and sometimes writing. I also hate "AOL speak" and generally dislike the overuse of smileys. You are not obligated to care about any of that... it's just pulpy smalltalk. Although... now that I've claimed to like writing, I think you may be obligated to nitpick my spelling and grammar. I'm pretty much asking for it, really, but it's your call.

On that note, I almost misspelled the title for this thread "Obligatory Introduction Threat."

Yeah.

That would have been an interesting first post.

Zedd

Well welcome aboard to the place,mind the rules around here and none of us will have to experience more shattered dreams and less non broken bones :3

JackTheCubiWolf

Welcome! And please, be wary of the box. We don't want another incident...
I'm back, and tired.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mechanisto on March 15, 2010, 01:24:23 AM
I figured I should at least introduce myself beforehand. Yes, I've read the rules and agree to abide by them. Yes, including the rules specific to the RP forum. If I ever start bending them, please let me know... the first rule of being a jerk is that you usually have no idea your being a jerk.

Cool.  You've covered most of the things I'd mentioned in a greeting already, so welcome aboard.
Which languages are you programming in, out of interest?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

the first rule of being a jerk is that you usually have no idea your being a jerk.

Oh, I always know, quite clearly, that I'm being a dick.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Suwako

Greetings, I will start using smilies as soon as you are in another thread, because I feel like being rebellious.

I never outgrew that. Except that I tend to follow the rules now, yeah.

Mechanisto

Thanks for the welcome, all!

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2010, 06:44:31 AM
Cool.  You've covered most of the things I'd mentioned in a greeting already, so welcome aboard.

Good to hear. I did a great deal of scientific research on the best way to introduce myself to the forum. The optimal solution was to... hold on, I wrote it down...

"Be someone awesome who posted before, had to leave, and is coming back."

Wasn't sure that would be viable for me. Also, I did scripting for web-games for the longest while using Adobe Director. It's like flash, except it's not flash. I'm currently trying to get competent at PHP and MySQL, though.

Also, Darkmoon: If  Irecall correctly, jerks who know they are jerks are either meta-jerks, or are simply coterminus with four-dimensional hyper-jerks.  I'm not certain, though... my Jerkology is a little rusty.

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2010, 06:44:31 AM
I figured I should at least introduce myself beforehand. Yes, I've read the rules and agree to abide by them. Yes, including the rules specific to the RP forum. If I ever start bending them, please let me know... the first rule of being a jerk is that you usually have no idea your being a jerk.

Speaking of programming languages, anyone else knows Fortran?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: danman on March 15, 2010, 11:14:50 PM
Speaking of programming languages, anyone else knows Fortran?

I don't.  I do know C++, x86 assembler, a bit of ARM and x64.  Plus a few old dialects of BASIC, some PHP and a script language I helped design.  I really need to pick up Java too at some point.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lysander

Greetings to you, Mechanisto. May you enjoy your stay in this interesting place...   :januscat
TytajLucheek