03/16/10 [AS 92] - It's always those adventurers trying to get ahead in life

Started by Jairus, March 16, 2010, 12:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AGE00

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 17, 2010, 10:09:46 PM
Words!

:erk
You... kind of lost me at the end of the second paragraph, there. Could you possibly summarise? Also, if you were to make it glib and in some way offensive, that would be a lot more my speed, thanks.

Edit: Actually, never mind. I will cheerfully concede this and any future point to you, as long you solemnly promise never to drop a wall of text like that on me again. I will put a note in my sig to that effect, if you want. :sweatdrop

VAE

Quote from: Tangent on March 17, 2010, 10:54:10 PM
*applauds* That was well written. And based on fact and history; the problem with alternative reality historical adaptations is of course writing up a scenario that is plausible when compared to the reality; in some ways, I think science fiction and fantasy is easier to write compared to historical revision fiction because everyone knows the Soviets kicked Nazi ass. Eventually. ^^
I see where you are getting at. Now, up there, a policeman wants to have a word with you!
Seriously -unlike him , you have not provided a single (i am not asking for sources proper even) bit of actual evidence beyond stating to have history minor - and given the differences between schools, might have about the same value as sgt. Fred Colon's "School of My Dad always said, College of It Stands to Reason, and postgradual at the university of what some bloke in the bar told me".

@danman: No. There is no charity. Every act of kindness and decency in fact has an ulterior motive. This motive may be something as simple as performing charitable acts because of the sense of self-satisfaction and happiness one can feel when doing something nice for other people. We are, at heart, a selfish and self-serving species. Even the act of a mother sacrificing herself to save the life of her child is in fact an instinctive programmed response to ensure the continuation of the genetic lineage.

Or, at least that's one theory of thought. It's this philosophy which states a corporation exists merely to maximize profits and that the concept of the social responsibility of business is in fact flawed and should be abolished, even when this social responsibility can enhance profits through creating an image of the corporation being good for society; the profits earned through social responsibility methods is said to be less than that of a company thinking only of itself.

As for my own actual beliefs? I suspect the lack of vulgarity and personal attacks in the webcomic reviews I write is probably more indicative of my philosophical beliefs than my snarky comments about Mink and what happened to his mom. <picture snip>
I share the above view, however the conclusion is not that social responsibility of companies idea is flawed but that we need to force it upon them, as they will not do it by themselves, to achieve the greatest good for the society.
And true, there is no charity, nor there should be or should be needing to.

As Ayn Rand put it quite well, the whole of my point collapses to this:
If a mother buys food for her hungry child rather than a hat for herself, it is not a sacrifice: she values the child higher than the hat; but it is a sacrifice to the kind of mother whose higher value is the hat, who would prefer her child to starve and feeds him only from a sense of duty.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

*Walks in on the the WW2 debate and philosophical discussion on heroism and sacrifice.*
Whoa... I seem to be on the wrong forum... I'll debate philosophy tomorrow... Maybe...
*Slowly backs out of the topic...*

AGE00

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 17, 2010, 11:59:46 PM
*Walks in on the the WW2 debate and philosophical discussion on heroism and sacrifice.*
Whoa... I seem to be on the wrong forum... I'll debate philosophy tomorrow... Maybe...
*Slowly backs out of the topic...*

Run! Save yourself! It's too late for us, but you can still have a life!

Amber Williams

And on this note, this thread has more than long since expired a purpose to warrent it being part of the DMFA section.

If you wish to discuss world war or heroism, I suggest making a new thread in general.  This thread is heading to a new home.

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...