but wait, what is ascension anyways?

Started by Psy-Kosh, February 14, 2010, 04:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inuhanyo

If you are willing to risk getting lost in the maze of fascinating information that is TVTropes, here is their article on Immortality.  They identify ten different types, including "the author won't kill the character off".

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 15, 2010, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 15, 2010, 12:12:26 PM
...Go fish.
I fished..................didn't find any immmortality though, maybe I need better bait..... :confused

I hear virgins, princesses or even virgin princesses are good bait. :)

It's totally discrimination against the boys Princes though, but I guess villains don't worry about that.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

iceick

Quote from: Drathorin on February 14, 2010, 08:17:19 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 14, 2010, 07:40:34 PM
it's likely that removing their soul is one of the only ways to be sure to kill them.

I'm pretty sure that'll work for any type of living/sentient creature.
I think that's what DP was trying to do to Mab. If there was ever a way to kill a Fae, taking their soul and sacrificing it to a god might be it.

Drayco84

Yes, especially considering that virgin males are easier to find... (*Sob, weep, sob.*) I mean, not that -I- know anything about that...

Anyway, I just had a thought... What if all ascension to Tri-Wing or leader status really needs is a portion of the individual clan members' power? Then, once they're ascended, the leader can return that some of that power to their clan members. Or, perhaps it's more of a hive-based magic storage. Since not all the cubi are using their magic at the same time, some of it gets "collected" by the Tri-Wing who then redirects it to a cubi that needs it.

Now, while this doesn't look like it explains Fa'Lina's situation, remember that she has only ever used teleport spells, and rarely at that. (Which can be easily handled by a warp-aci.)

However, what really bugs me is the fact that all those cubi in the academy feed off each others' emotions when the law of diminishing returns states that-*KRA-KA-KOW!* OHMIGOD!!! I'VE JUST KILLED A CATGIRL!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *Drags the poor girl off before some wierdo with a necronomicon shows up...*

iceick

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 16, 2010, 11:11:28 AM
Yes, especially considering that virgin males are easier to find... (*Sob, weep, sob.*) I mean, not that -I- know anything about that...
I don't think virginity had anything to do with that ritual after all DP was planning on using Azlan and Azlan is married.

Tapewolf

Quote from: iceick on February 16, 2010, 11:02:07 AM
I think that's what DP was trying to do to Mab. If there was ever a way to kill a Fae, taking their soul and sacrificing it to a god might be it.

Fae don't have souls in the conventional sense, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Keleth

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2010, 03:29:18 PM

You're right. They're just magical objects. Kinda like golems.

So it's totally fine to murder/maim a fae if you have acquired the means to do so. As they don't have souls.
Help! I'm gay!

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Drathorin on February 16, 2010, 06:08:04 PM

You're right. They're just magical objects. Kinda like golems.

So it's totally fine to murder/maim a fae if you have acquired the means to do so. As they don't have souls.

They do have a lot of power though, that might make them a target, even if they don't have a soul.

Keleth

So you're saying Fae are just giant energy beings?

Time to pull a titan AE and use em to run my car engine :3
Help! I'm gay!

Les

They don't?  Didn't a significant portion of one story-arc revolve specifically around Fae souls?   :mowdizzy
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Drathorin on February 16, 2010, 08:30:47 PM
So you're saying Fae are just giant energy beings?

Why stop at your car engine?! We can do planes, other cars, etc!!  >:3

Congratulations World, we have solved our fuel problem!!  :mwaha

jeffh4

Robot Chicken did a funny/creepy bit on immortality. Seriously paraphrased here. 

First the bad guy laughed at the hero: "Ha, ha, you'll never defeat me! I am immortal! I'll just keep coming back and. . ."  Bad guy reduced to ash by flame weapon.  Hero takes ash and snorts it.  Long sequence of hero going poop. Longer sequence of poop flowing through sewage pipes. OK, guys, we get the picture. 

Then there's the nightmare scenario of immortality as shown in the movie "The Hunger" and "What If" (with Ghost Rider) comics. You are immortal, but your body ages until you can't move or even breath. You're just a spirit inhabiting an immobile corpse.

Moral of the story.  If you want to be immortal, you'd better make sure your body stays functional and in one piece.

LionHeart

No such thing as a virgin male. Everybody knows that men aren't virgins. And they especially don't get to be my age, and have to deal with that damn movie...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 16, 2010, 10:39:27 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on February 16, 2010, 08:30:47 PMSo you're saying Fae are just giant energy beings?

Well, yeah ... it's possible - But ...

When was the last time you refueled on Fae ?
Do you have any idea what it does to a car ?
I'm teling you, first the fuel fought back, that was bad enough and caused a lot of commotion at the service station!
And then, then it had a baby and made me a King of the Fae Kingdom !!!

Be really, REALLY careful of your fuel!!  :D

Drayco84

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 17, 2010, 12:48:06 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on February 16, 2010, 08:30:47 PMSo you're saying Fae are just giant energy beings?

I'm teling you, first the fuel fought back, that was bad enough and caused a lot of commotion at the service station!

Have you tried using them as an engine, much like Porky Pig did to Daffy Duck in the one Loony Tunes episode?

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: LionHeart on February 17, 2010, 09:36:27 AM
No such thing as a virgin male. Everybody knows that men aren't virgins. And they especially don't get to be my age, and have to deal with that damn movie...

I'm definitely a virgin, and have no intention of seeing that movie (I'm 33)

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 17, 2010, 01:56:49 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 17, 2010, 12:48:06 PM

Have you tried using them as an engine, much like Porky Pig did to Daffy Duck in the one Loony Tunes episode?

Ah yes, poor Daffy.... >:3 who do think is powering my car right now.........sadly his warrenty is up and I'm looking for other options!  :3

Turnsky

Theoretically, the Fae would be on a proverbial cycle of reincarnation than anything else. The difference being is that they choose when to go on that cycle again.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

iceick

But there's still the fact that as far as been told, the only way a fae has ever died was through their own will. But what DP was trying to do was to kill a fae and trandcinding their soul, magical energie, or whatever you want to call it to the dark god.

Tapewolf

Quote from: iceick on February 18, 2010, 02:51:40 PM
But there's still the fact that as far as been told, the only way a fae has ever died was through their own will. But what DP was trying to do was to kill a fae and trandcinding their soul, magical energie, or whatever you want to call it to the dark god.

The more we learn about the Fae the less I believe that Dark Pegasus knew what he was doing there.  For all we know the Dark God is a figment of his imagination.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Keleth

Could also be that the dark god is a real creature. But more in the fashion of Warhammer 40,000 Chaos gods.

Which dine on delicious delicious souls and the negative feelings of all of creation.

And no, they aren't giant Cubi.
Help! I'm gay!

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

I've contemplated this for awhile and figured I'd ask everyone here to put in their two cents or answers if they have any:

Now as far as we know or have speculated, if and when a tri-winged clan leader dies or something else occurs, we know that another in that clan can rise to tri-wing status, but does that necessarily make them the new leader? If so, does the name of the clan remain the same or is it named after the new leader? What if it has a first and last name, which one would be used or can it be called whatever the new clan leader decides?

Now keep in mind I know this was case with Seme and Divallis, but is that the case all the time? (The question that was here has been resolved!  :boogie)

What do you all think?  :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you're paying attention, Amber has said that there can be more than one tri-wing in a clan, although it's unusual.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 18, 2010, 06:30:43 PM
If you're paying attention, Amber has said that there can be more than one tri-wing in a clan, although it's unusual.

Sometimes I miss stuff...........:animesweat..........my bad *facepalms*

AmigaDragon

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on February 17, 2010, 08:45:09 PM
I'm definitely a virgin, and have no intention of seeing that movie (I'm 33)

Ditto... +14
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Kirishala

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 16, 2010, 07:19:24 PM
They do have a lot of power though, that might make them a target, even if they don't have a soul.
They aren't bound by linear time or space which makes attacking one kinda difficult unless they let you, and I suspect that trying to steal a fae's soul is one of the few things that will cause them to break character and use their true powers.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Kirishala on February 23, 2010, 03:56:18 PM
They aren't bound by linear time or space which makes attacking one kinda difficult unless they let you, and I suspect that trying to steal a fae's soul is one of the few things that will cause them to break character and use their true powers.

True enough, however, any creature/being that is powerful enough to even consider attacking a Fae, will probably already have considered how to handle those difficulties. Just because something is difficult, doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible.

Though I suspect that there are very few creatures/beings that are able to fight a Fae.

Les

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 23, 2010, 06:08:49 PM
Though I suspect that there are very few creatures/beings that are able to fight a Fae.

Which is probably why those 'bracelets' are so darned effective.   :giggle
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Anker Steadfast

Darn right .. also, they rock at techno raves. :D

Drayco84

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 23, 2010, 06:08:49 PM
Quote from: Kirishala on February 23, 2010, 03:56:18 PM

True enough, however, any creature/being that is powerful enough to even consider attacking a Fae, will probably already have considered how to handle those difficulties. Just because something is difficult, doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible.

Or they could just be really, really stupid... Seriously, it never seems to stop adventurers from picking fights with creatures far older and more powerful than they are... (Hey, the creatures' gotta eat!)