Germany, MS Explorer

Started by Suwako, January 18, 2010, 09:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 30, 2010, 02:34:29 PM
gee, I hope that isn't directed at me, because I actually use FF3.5.x on all my computers.  Much as I might like the old browser, and much as I might hate the awfulesome bar, I'm not stupid enough to think that I can use it anymore.

My apologies for attempting to be helpful.  I will try to avoid this in future.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 30, 2010, 02:34:29 PMgee, I hope that isn't directed at me, because I actually use FF3.5.x on all my computers.  Much as I might like the old browser, and much as I might hate the awfulesome bar, I'm not stupid enough to think that I can use it anymore.

Sorry.  I remembered you liking IE6 but forgot that you didn't use it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Reese Tora

no worries, just pointing out that I don't use it.

And, sorry, Tape, I didn't mean to sound hostile about it, and I don't mean to stop you from offering helpful advice in the future.

I think I did mention earlier that I don't use IE at all any more, but it was probably buried inside a larger chunk of text.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 30, 2010, 04:05:35 PM
no worries, just pointing out that I don't use it.

And, sorry, Tape, I didn't mean to sound hostile about it, and I don't mean to stop you from offering helpful advice in the future.

Okay, in that case I take it back  :3

QuoteI think I did mention earlier that I don't use IE at all any more, but it was probably buried inside a larger chunk of text.

Ah, right.  Specifically, it was the line:
"FF guys might be awesome at programming secure software, but they have yet to show me a browser that I would rather use than IE6.  This is a personal opinion, not a debatable fact."

... which strongly implied that you had resolved to keep using it come what may.  Evidently I missed the other part, but as long as you're not going to be affected by Google's decision, that's the most important thing.

What is frustrating is when I go out of my way to try and help someone and they snap, which has happened a fair bit lately, so maybe I was taking it out on you a bit.  Sorry about that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reese Tora

hehe, yeah, I can see how you might take it that way. :)

I am an old curmudgeon, and I hate everything (in the current generation of browsers)  Out of everything, FF is definitely the best one.  Mostly I get upset when everyone keeps introducing new features and then forcing you to use the new features.

Jack McSlay

I'm curious. What is this highly ingrained FF feature that can't be disabled you so speak of? because I have a profile just for my bank account
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m376/jack_mcslay/foruns/simpff.png
and I don't see what's left that should be disable-able
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Reese Tora

actually, it's a fairly minor feature...

basically, the address bar has an auto complete feature, which I use for various purposes.  Pretty much my entire pre FF3 browsing experience has me going to two sources for navigation: favorites, and address bar auto complete.  In most browsers, what it does is it fills in with any URL that you have visited listed in alphabetical order (etc, you know this already)

FF3 includes a set of features that effect the way these results are generated and sorted, and these features cannot be turned off without turning off the entire auto complete feature (they can be modified, but it is impossible to restore the classic function as seen in other browser like, say, IE6)  The fact that all this is stored in a database structure and it can take several seconds for FF to generate auto complete results is a bonus annoyance.

superluser

Whoop!  Just under two weeks!

Quote from: superluser on January 19, 2010, 12:02:40 PMI think Firefox now suggests that you should install Flashblock when you install Firefox (maybe I'm mistaken).

After the recent security bulletin, I decided to upgrade my Flash (you should, too).  Turns out I was mistaken.  It's *Gentoo* that suggests installing Flashblock:

QuoteFlash player is closed-source, with a long history of security issues.  Please consider only running flash applets you know to be safe.  The 'flashblock' extension may help for mozilla users: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

Also, in Microsoft-related security news, the recent patch for the old MS DOS vulnerability seems to cause r00ted computers to crash.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: superluser on February 13, 2010, 02:20:15 AM
Also, in Microsoft-related security news, the recent patch for the old MS DOS vulnerability seems to cause r00ted computers to crash.

Huh...so that's why my computer has been getting so many auto-updates that make it automatically reboot lately... (the auto-reboot thing has been getting very irritating)

Sofox

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 31, 2010, 01:51:32 PM
actually, it's a fairly minor feature...

According to this web page, in about:config you change browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped to "true".

There's also an add-on called Old Location Bar which allows you to configure the address bar to your liking.

Reese Tora

I've messed with that, Sofox, but it's the order and number of results that is at issue.

The order is not alphabetical (nor does it ignoring a server name of www- all those get put at the end; missmab.com and www.missmab.com should be next to each other, not half the list away)

And, while you can expand the max search results from the default, the database system that FF uses for storing your history in order to generate frecency stats means that the browser REALLY chugs when you set it to have enough search results that nothing is left out.

Also, match only typed doesn't allow me to use the address bar to find sites that I visited by following a link, since it means that FF will only return results that were typed into the address bar.  This is not the desired behavior.

Believe me, I have previously spent over a day wrestling with this system trying to get it to work like I want.

And I do have oldbar installed. :)

Sofox

The extension I linked to is not oldbar, it's a different plugin that has more features then oldbar (as well as doing everything oldbar does). Maybe one of those new features is what you need.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Sofox on February 13, 2010, 03:03:39 PM
The extension I linked to is not oldbar, it's a different plugin that has more features then oldbar (as well as doing everything oldbar does). Maybe one of those new features is what you need.

hmmm... the only detectable difference is that the page title is no longer displaying to the right...

I think my problems are inherent to how FF stores history and uses frecency sorting, so it's not going to get fixed by just an add in.

Sofox

Oh okay, well sorry about that.
Hope you can get it working in some way that suits you.