Seeking a "topographer"

Started by Dekari, December 01, 2009, 12:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekari

Well, sort of.

Basically, after enough time of ignoring working of my story Project: New Blood, it has evolved in my mind away from being a fan-fic and is now in the  "stand alone/inspired by" area.  And, well, I need some help plotting out a map of the region where the story is taking place on the planet I'm calling Danu (for those who are wondering I'm going to be using some names from Gaelic and Celtic mythology).

Really I'm just posting this to see if there is anyone interested in helping me a little with this idea.  There are still a lot of things I need to work out like number of cities, town, small villages, descriptions of key areas, and what not.  But as it stands, when I have all the details, I'm going to need three versions of the same map with slight to major differences between them.  Level of detail is not too important as I will be using it as a reference to make a finished model.

Oh, and of course, I will be willing to compensate whomever helps me with this....but that can be talked about later.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'll register a conditional level of support. I've got some blegh in my own schedule right now, so I might not be available.

I'm also not sure what you need. If it comes to actually sketching out a map, my own drawing skills are..... well, kind of worthless. If it comes to coming up with demographics, climatic impact, how far away towns/cities should be from each other and topographical features, then I can help you.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Dekari

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 01, 2009, 01:18:23 PM
I'll register a conditional level of support. I've got some blegh in my own schedule right now, so I might not be available.

I'm also not sure what you need.

To sum up everything, once I get all the details down and to a point that I like, what I'm looking for is help drawing up a simple map showing locations of mountains, cities, forests, bodies of water, and what not of the region where the story is going to take place.  Nothing too highly detailed, I can handle that after the fact, getting a starting point is where I have issues.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 01, 2009, 01:18:23 PM
If it comes to actually sketching out a map, my own drawing skills are..... well, kind of worthless. If it comes to coming up with demographics, climatic impact, how far away towns/cities should be from each other and topographical features, then I can help you.

Can't be any worse than me.  When I try to draw maps the come out rather...um....square.

Also, I realize now that I probably should have posted this sometime in the new year as the holidays more than likely have everyone schedules tied up.  This is not something I need to get done soon.  I've got a ton of work to do on my side before asking someone if they are willing to jump in and help.  I just wanted to get the idea out there.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Darkmoon

Maps aren't hard. The key to them is to make sure to just let your mind wander and have the pencil draw as many random squiggles and peninsulas as it can. When I did maps, I tended to just let the pencil go where it wanted. Always turned out okay.

I could be interested, depending on what we're talking...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Paladin Sheppard

I'll register some interest...I've done a few maps for RPs and the like.