If only the sun would set on the Twilight series...

Started by Alondro, November 23, 2009, 09:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

oookaay, i'll assess this from my purely cynical point of view, here goes.

"twilight" as a movie series is a bit of Teeny-fluff designed only to cash in on the sadly over-romanticized vampire genre in order to get young adults lusting after some over stylised, paragons of cookie-cutter mary-sue creations, we've all seen it before, we'll see it again after this series has faded into dust.
All they're designed to do is to cater to a need to entertain the masses who don't desire "high literature" and the ability to engage what little thought processes they have left, i generally regard movies like "Twilight" to be just a notch above reality television in terms of the bulk of those who watch it as far as intelligence (or lack therof) is concerned.

Consider this... for all the flak we've given the Star wars prequels and the matrix sequels, how much cash did they rake in at the box office?

yet good movies do tend to fly under the radar from time to time, so while everybody's going "ooh, aaah" at the shiny fluff in their local boxoffice, keep your eyeballs out for -good- flicks, or better yet, find yourselves some good classics.

i'm fairly certain not all of you will agree with my assessment, and it's prolly not a solid argument on my part, but this is how i see this whole "phenomenon", and the trite, mindless crud that it is. From my point of view, all i'm seeing of twilight is that it's a vampire fan-fic that managed to get a following, got published at some point, then that giant boulder rolled on from there, gathering all sorts of dookie along the way.

Why did i compare it to a "fanfic", i hear folks ask? let's look at it this way.. it takes vampire myth, tweaks it so that despite 'aparrent' flaws in character/race, there are none (all the hallmarks of a mary-sue), the basic "romeo and juliet" romance plot of "forbidden love", factions and so forth... and the fact from what i've heard/seen via other folks, trailers and snippets, the emotional stability is face-palmingly tragic.
i could as just as easily compared it to some webcomics i've seen, too.. truth be told it's just all the hallmarks of poor writing. I'm no wonderous writer myself, but i know bad writing when i see it.  :U
on another note: i will genuinely feel sorry for those who run roleplays who may get an influx of 'twilight-style' vampires... after the movie "Blade" came about, there was an influx of 'daywalkers' last RP i frequented.. and that was years ago..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Vidar

Quote from: Alondro on November 25, 2009, 10:56:00 PM
The ultimate Twilight video!

The Broodening

So awesome.   :3

ARGHLBHL! Mind ... breaking! Torment .... makes ... speech ... Shatnerian....
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Alondro

Quote from: Vidar on November 27, 2009, 07:48:17 AM
Quote from: Alondro on November 25, 2009, 10:56:00 PM
The ultimate Twilight video!

The Broodening

So awesome.   :3

ARGHLBHL! Mind ... breaking! Torment .... makes ... speech ... Shatnerian....

Well, that is the book/movie in a nutshell for ya.  Great ain't it?   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Caswin

I saw the new movie.

I actually liked it.

Maybe it was Bella's emotional breakdown, its realistic portrayal, her gradual, genuinely endearing recovery, and the general act of "actually making Bella interesting" (and not just me reading between lines that may not exist) that came with it.

Maybe it was the likable new love interest who actually had a legitimate claim to "desirable boyfriend" and not just a big red "DESTINY" sign above his head with a little "(reason need not apply)" disclaimer underneath.

Maybe it was Alice Cullen.  I like her.  If I ever, ever read these books, it'll be for the supporting cast. (I also still like Charlie.)

Maybe it was all of these factors, on top of the fact that the whole plot longer rode on a shallow love story and could now move on to bigger and better things.

But I think the real reason might have been Facepunch! . "LET'S DO THIS!"

It has its share of problems.  And you might as well know that while the first one ended with a sequel hook, this one leads straight into the next.  But the fact remains: I saw New Moon.  And I liked it.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Alondro

Quote from: Caswin on November 27, 2009, 05:56:11 PM
I saw the new movie.

I actually liked it.

Maybe it was Bella's emotional breakdown, its realistic portrayal, her gradual, genuinely endearing recovery, and the general act of "actually making Bella interesting" (and not just me reading between lines that may not exist) that came with it.

Maybe it was the likable new love interest who actually had a legitimate claim to "desirable boyfriend" and not just a big red "DESTINY" sign above his head with a little "(reason need not apply)" disclaimer underneath.

Maybe it was Alice Cullen.  I like her.  If I ever, ever read these books, it'll be for the supporting cast. (I also still like Charlie.)

Maybe it was all of these factors, on top of the fact that the whole plot longer rode on a shallow love story and could now move on to bigger and better things.

But I think the real reason might have been Facepunch! . "LET'S DO THIS!"

It has its share of problems.  And you might as well know that while the first one ended with a sequel hook, this one leads straight into the next.  But the fact remains: I saw New Moon.  And I liked it.

:eek  I fear that you are lost to the darkness forever...   :|
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Brunhidden

i have a desire to wait untill 'breaking dawn' is made into a movie, and i will watch it just to see how hilariously abysmal it is

reading an outline of what that book is about is enough to make me laugh
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Toric

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 01, 2009, 08:00:40 PM
i have a desire to wait untill 'breaking dawn' is made into a movie, and i will watch it just to see how hilariously abysmal it is

reading an outline of what that book is about is enough to make me laugh

Oh I'm sure that when Breaking Dawn is made it will be top-notch quality. What I'm waiting for is the general public's reaction to the content. If you thought the moral guardians were flipping out about the Harry Potter actor's little nudity side project, just wait till they learn what kind of monster plot development has been in store since the first film.
Yap by Silver.

Amber Williams

I have no issue with Twilight.  If people are having fun reading/watching it and have found something to enjoy, then power to them.

Sofox

Yeah, I've been wondering about this too.

I mean, I once wrote an intentionally horrible fanfic and people seemed to enjoy it (although in all fairness, surfing a magically summoned tidal wave on car door from a Ferrari is pretty awesome).

Valynth

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 03, 2009, 06:42:13 PM
I have no issue with Twilight.  If people are having fun reading/watching it and have found something to enjoy, then power to them.

Even though I hate the writing of the series and the culture of sparkly vamps with a burning passion....   :yeahthat

honestly, people of the furry community shouldn't be such harsh judges
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Omega

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on November 25, 2009, 11:18:49 AM
Quote from: rabid_fox on November 24, 2009, 07:54:51 AM

Anti-Twilightism is as boring as Twilight.

Agreed.
Yeah, I'm going to go with this option too. If people keep agreeing how bad it is, why are we still discussing about it? It's just going to give it more and more attention and more and more people are going to see it.

I haven't seen to movie nor read the book myself. I'm going to wait until some cute girl asks me if I've seen the movie(s) after which I get a good excuse to spend some time with her.

Moonchylde

I have no issue with Twilight.  If people are having fun reading/watching it and have found something to enjoy, then power to them.

I have no real issue with the Twilight books and movies, per say (aside from the fact that the books read like Ann Rice fan fiction written by a 12 year old girl with no concept of grammer), as I do with the rabid Twilight fans (aka "Twihards") who physicaly attack people who don't like the books or movies, or try to convince me (and yes, this has happened more then once) that Stephanie Meyer's vampire mythos is the only "right" version, and everything THAT CAME BEFORE IT is completely wrong.

Sigh.

Oh, by the way, Relevant.

Sofox

Quote from: Moonchylde on December 06, 2009, 10:51:08 PMthat Stephanie Meyer's vampire mythos is the only "right" version, and everything THAT CAME BEFORE IT is completely wrong.

There's a "right" version of vampires?

Brunhidden

Quote from: Sofox on December 07, 2009, 06:48:07 AM
Quote from: Moonchylde on December 06, 2009, 10:51:08 PMthat Stephanie Meyer's vampire mythos is the only "right" version, and everything THAT CAME BEFORE IT is completely wrong.

There's a "right" version of vampires?

you know, the couple hundred years of European folklore that gave us the idea of vampires in the first place. this involves no bats however, and cause of vampire death was usually 'drunken mob'
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

lucas marcone

Quote from: Turnsky on November 24, 2009, 03:01:00 AM
Quote from: Alondro on November 24, 2009, 12:08:26 AM
I did think of one way to profit AND mock it at the same time!

Sell packets of glitter on Ebay as "Instant Twilight Powder!  Just one application will turn you into a sparkly vampire in sunlight!  Just like Edward!"

>:3

Vampires in general have had a long and sordid path in the popular view, from dracula to nosferatu, to Rice, to WoD, to Whedon, and then finally to these pathetic attempts..

you know werewolves will be next.  :<

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :redrum

lucas marcone

Quote from: Moonchylde on December 06, 2009, 10:51:08 PM
I have no issue with Twilight.  If people are having fun reading/watching it and have found something to enjoy, then power to them.

I have no real issue with the Twilight books and movies, per say (aside from the fact that the books read like Ann Rice fan fiction written by a 12 year old girl with no concept of grammer), as I do with the rabid Twilight fans (aka "Twihards") who physicaly attack people who don't like the books or movies, or try to convince me (and yes, this has happened more then once) that Stephanie Meyer's vampire mythos is the only "right" version, and everything THAT CAME BEFORE IT is completely wrong.

Sigh.

Oh, by the way, Relevant.
you have seriously scared me far more than anyone ever hads.... infact as i read the articles off of the anti twilight site it's self the room actually got colder and i started panicing.....seriously.

Dagardo

The "Twihard" article has to be one of the absolute stupidest things I've ever read, not because of the article itself, but because of the information within the article. I mean seriously, you shoot someone with a flare gun, just cause they don't like something you do? I guess this just proves what I've known for a long time, humanity is fucking stupid. (pardon my french.) It also proves my thought of "if you don't care for it, you have no real reason to talk about it." These kind of people are also one of the reasons i don't go out of the house much. But I digress. However, on the similar note of vampires, my brother says that vampires were once simply weakened greatly while out in the sun. *EDIT* Or more specifically, Bram Stoker's vampires. *END EDIT* However, sparkling (or whatever) while out in the sun is just idiotic. Anyway, back on topic, if this crazy shit is happening because of a book, then the sun really does need to set on this series... dumb asses... but I'm done.

Valynth

Quote from: lucas marcone on December 14, 2009, 04:03:59 AM
you have seriously scared me far more than anyone ever hads.... infact as i read the articles off of the anti twilight site it's self the room actually got colder and i started panicing.....seriously.

Welcome to the dangers of fandom.

Quote from: Dagardo on December 14, 2009, 04:20:31 AM
The "Twihard" article has to be one of the absolute stupidest things I've ever read, not because of the article itself, but because of the information within the article. I mean seriously, you shoot someone with a flare gun, just cause they don't like something you do? I guess this just proves what I've known for a long time, humanity is fucking stupid. (pardon my french.) It also proves my thought of "if you don't care for it, you have no real reason to talk about it." These kind of people are also one of the reasons i don't go out of the house much. But I digress. However, on the similar note of vampires, my brother says that vampires were once simply weakened greatly while out in the sun. *EDIT* Or more specifically, Bram Stoker's vampires. *END EDIT* However, sparkling (or whatever) while out in the sun is just idiotic. Anyway, back on topic, if this crazy shit is happening because of a book, then the sun really does need to set on this series... dumb asses... but I'm done.

The original vampires were indeed only severely weakened by the sunlight (mostly they were reduced to little more than shambling corpses) the reasoning behind this was that well, nobody saw them durring the day therefore they must have a weakness during the sunlight hours.  Most vampires, however, were either simply psychotic humans, or simply decaying corpses.

Long story short, vampires were created by Slavic tribesmen to explain the forms of decomposition that occur in a corpse buried in cold wet soil as well as the occasional mysterious death.

Also, in original folklore it was really impossible to "kill" a vampire due to it being dead already, and since the belief of the time was that the earth had to accept the soul (vampires arising because the earth rejected the soul) mostly by staking it to the ground (to prevent attacks on humans in case the next part fails and to sort of ham-fistedly force the soul into the earth.  This is also where the "heart" mythos comes form, though originally, it was just through the center mass to ensure the stake held.) and remove the head, which was then stuffed with holy wafers, coated in holy water, and hidden (should the head ever be found the vampire would be resurrected immediately)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

lucas marcone

Caswin

As far as sparkling in the sun goes (among other things), I would have appreciated it if they at least made a concession to the effect of "'vampire' is what we call ourselves; close enough".  Did I mention part of what got me through the first movie was mentally sticking to the moniker of "Cold Ones"?

That said, from what I can tell, the "sparkling" bit wasn't just something that she decided ought to be a vampire trait, so much as part of the dream that inspired the whole book to begin with.  If I had a dream that inspired me to write a fantasy book and whatever creature it introduced me to sparkled in the sunlight, I know I would keep that in there.

And it just so happens that Twilight's target audience (described earlier) glees over sexy "vampires" who sparkle in the sunlight.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Rakala

To me Twilight is all a cheap knock off of the Southern Vampire Novels series. I mean this wasn't an original idea not to mention they took the vampiric traits out of vampires. I mean not dying in the sun? What the hell is the point of not being a vampire if that doesn't happen? I read the first book and was flabberghasted at how this was popular. Then I remembered the intelligence of "scene" girls.

JackTheCubiWolf

I'm a fan of the books, not a hard-core-kill-you-if-you-say-a-single-bad-thing-about-it fan, but still a fan. And I belive they could have got someone better to play Bella. And Edward.
I'm back, and tired.

Rakala

You know what? I would have been neutral towards the books and movies if they didn't call them "vampires", because reading minds, twinkling in the sun, enhanced physical capabilities, and feeding on life force is more like stories of old evil fey. I would have found that much more reasonable, but they called them vampires and there wasn't any problem with being a vampire other than the characters' own stipulations about vampirism. The biggest problem I have is that they don't die in the sunlight! I understand trying to make your works unique but don't just completely take out a part of the mythology to fit your own ends!

Kafzeil

Anyone else think we need a romance novel about a young teenage girl falling in love with a Deep One?
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Rakala

Quote from: Kafzeil on December 22, 2009, 09:00:11 PM
Anyone else think we need a romance novel about a young teenage girl falling in love with a Deep One?
That depends, is it a shiny fair version of a Deep One or an actual true to the mythos Deep One? Because the former, no. The latter, yes.

JackTheCubiWolf

I'd rather it be inbetween. Not shiny or hideous.
I'm back, and tired.

Sofox

Quote from: Rakala on December 22, 2009, 01:33:36 PMThe biggest problem I have is that they don't die in the sunlight! I understand trying to make your works unique but don't just completely take out a part of the mythology to fit your own ends!
I think it's been mentioned in this topic before, but didn't the original mythology of vampires, including Bram Stoker's version, have vampires that were just weakened in the sunlight.

Excuse me for pointing this out, I'm just really trying to wrap my head around people defending the "true" version of something that doesn't exist in the first place.

Rakala

Really? I had not heard that before. Still weakened in sunlight is at least something, though it makes the sparkly shiny sparkly make more sense (not that I dislike it any less). I will have to reassess the situation. And just to clarify, that wasn't my only problem with the books. I also dislike them for having a bad story, being poorly written, and having unlikable characters.

Sofox

Let's just agree that this is the best vampire story ever written and leave it at that.

Lisky

I think the Twilight books need a visit from Marlow from 30 Days of Night.  I stand by this mental image 100%...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->