Snow!

Started by Cogidubnus, December 24, 2009, 06:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

I would like to state that Melodie Dragonkitty has sent me a blizzard for Christmas and I am very unhappy with her. :3

In all seriousness, a blizzard spontaneously appeared about Noon and has been going flat-out since. The roads and everything are covered. We hardly ever get snow at Christmas down here! It's awesome! I'd post pictures, but my lack of a camera prevents me from sharing the wintry goodness.

I hope you all have a merry Christmas in any case (or Hanukkah, Wintereenmas, Winter Solstice, etc etc), and if you're also enjoying some winter weather, you don't get stuck anywhere. While I enjoy the snow, I understand it can be troublesome to travel in.

Fibre

Whereabouts are you, if you don't mind?

We're getting quite a blizzard here in Texas as well; four inches already! :eager (Well, it's a blizzard for here at least.) I might try to get some pictures eventually, though I'd have to borrow a camera... Probably too dark now though it'll probably still be around in the morning!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Meh.

We had some snow a couple days ago, but nothing now. All we have now is freezing cold and slushy rain.

Which plays havoc with my phone line, since the telecoms company can't locate the problem unless it's actively raining when they turn up. And it takes them three days to arrive...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Fibre on December 24, 2009, 06:40:33 PM
Whereabouts are you, if you don't mind?

We're getting quite a blizzard here in Texas as well; four inches already! :eager (Well, it's a blizzard for here at least.) I might try to get some pictures eventually, though I'd have to borrow a camera... Probably too dark now though it'll probably still be around in the morning!

Actually, I'm in Texas. :D

The blizzard is awesome, no?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 24, 2009, 07:18:12 PM
Meh.

We had some snow a couple days ago, but nothing now. All we have now is freezing cold and slushy rain.

Which plays havoc with my phone line, since the telecoms company can't locate the problem unless it's actively raining when they turn up. And it takes them three days to arrive...

That seems like it'd be a problem, what with the normal status of British weather being rain, rain, and possibly light rain every day.

Alondro

Our area in NJ had between 17 and 24 inches, depending on the particular location, last Saturday.

Most of it is still here.  :P

Then we're going to have rain Friday night and Saturday, possibly heavily, on snow and frozen solid ground... which will mean lots of minor flooding even in our sandy area (frozen wet sand does not drain like thawed sand does.  It's like concrete.)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Mao

Fibre

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 24, 2009, 10:11:12 PM
Actually, I'm in Texas. :D

The blizzard is awesome, no?

Ah, cool! I wonder if we're in the same area, heh. :) (Though I won't be in this part of Texas, that's getting this storm, for much longer.)

Indeed it is awesome, though it stopped a while ago. I made a nice pot of very hot chili eariler... Perfect for a Texas White Christmas. ;)

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 24, 2009, 11:08:47 PM
Lightweights.

Yes. :< It seems unusual to have it snow twice in December here already; usually it seems like it's more January or so before we get much, and even then it's rarely anywhere near this much. (I should really not be moving in the opposite direction of nice cold weather...)

Toric

We got a lighter case of it here in Oklahoma. Not as bad as Texas, but enough to cover up the roads. It's not supposed to get above freezing for a few days. Fun stuff.
Yap by Silver.

ooklah

For all of you who got snow, I shake my fist in your general directions and mumble grumpily at you.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 24, 2009, 07:18:12 PM
Meh.

hah! I remember our house having that problem..... 20 years ago!  :3
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Mao

I just drove home to visit my parents yesterday, after being dug out of a three day long storm.  During that storm, on just one day of it, we got just shy of 30cm of snow.  We already had plenty.  It's nearing the point where the snow banks are so high that I can't see oncoming cars when I come to a stop at a turn.

During the drive home, I went through rain, sleet, snow and sunshine on a frozen road.  The trip is only an hour and a half long.

So to those of you who are pining for snow, maybe you should count your blessings a bit.  As pretty and as fun as it is, it can be a real pain in other ways.

That said.. I still freaking love it. :D

bradypodidae

Right now, at 08:37, 25 Dec 09, it is 71 degrees Fahrenheit, Cloudy, breezy, with a 70% chance of rain. A rather typical Christmas morning in this neck of the woods. What is this "snow" you speak of? :)
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Alondro

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on December 25, 2009, 08:42:29 AM
Right now, at 08:37, 25 Dec 09, it is 71 degrees Fahrenheit, Cloudy, breezy, with a 70% chance of rain. A rather typical Christmas morning in this neck of the woods. What is this "snow" you speak of? :)

Snow is like dandruff, except cold.  And just as hard to get rid of once you got a bad case of it.   :P

I've looked at long range forecasts which are suggesting quite strongly that the East Coast will be getting slammed by ANOTHER noreaster starting Thursday, New Year's Eve, and this one might move very slowly as the current call is for it to last all the way until Sunday!

The temperature forecast is calling for highs and lows from 40F to 24F, which (for those who follow weather models) actually is a range of possible day temps.  When precipitation is falling, the temperatures don't change much from day to night due to the high relative humidity (unless a front is coming through, not eh case with a big low pressure system).  So, the tempteratures could be as high as 40 or as low as the 20's.  This is because noreasters change the weather drastically depending on if you're on the east or west side of the storm.  The Eastern side is pulling up warmer air from the south, and thus you get rain on that side.  The Western side is pulling colder northern air down, and thus a much higher probability of snow.  The blizzard we got lastr Saturday was a classic case of what happens when ew're on the western part of the storm, with a big blob of cold air entrenched.  This next system might be very similar, as a large Arctic air mass will be scooting down from teh Great Lakes region right about the time the storm arrives.  Where I live could get a blizzard or rain (depending on the storm track), but anyone north of me or west of me is almost certainly going to get a blast of snow if the storm models are even half-way correct.

We shall see!  In about 5 days the models will be much more certain.

This is pretty much the pattern I was calling form.  We had the long-term pattern of strong cold fronts from the north all year long, and how with the mild El Nino, we have in addition the impulses of low pressure gathering up moisture from the Gulf along the dip in the Jet Stream and heading north, so it's the ideal set-up for a multi-blizzard winter season.

Yes, I do study meteorology as a hobby.  ;3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Cvstos

And here I am planning to pull an Amber and move to Canada at some point. This is going to be fun :P

Oh well. At least they get more snow than the rain/freeze/ice-coat-on-everything combo I've been getting. I had about a 1/4 inch of ice on my car the other day.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Amber Williams

Oddly enough, the weather is really mild here in Canada. We have rain. *lol*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cvstos on December 25, 2009, 02:18:18 PM
And here I am planning to pull an Amber and move to Canada at some point. This is going to be fun :P

Oh well. At least they get more snow than the rain/freeze/ice-coat-on-everything combo I've been getting. I had about a 1/4 inch of ice on my car the other day.

Heh. We had someone who pulled up to visit the neighbour yesterday. Went inside at about 4pm, and came back out at about 8, and couldn't open his driver-side door, because the snow had melted and then re-frozen.

I was amused. Lots.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 25, 2009, 02:22:23 PM

They're stealing all our snows! :dface

Aside from a handful of the usual -30 windchills in the past week or so, it's been unseasonably warm up here all winter.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Mel Dragonkitty

But Cog, the snow was just the packaging for the genuine Maine snow snake I sent you. Have you found him yet? Cute fluffly furry snow snake.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Fibre

Pictures! http://fibresden.net/cmf/snow

Quite a bit has melted away already today, but there's still a lot left. :)

Quote from: Toric on December 25, 2009, 02:02:42 AM
We got a lighter case of it here in Oklahoma. Not as bad as Texas, but enough to cover up the roads. It's not supposed to get above freezing for a few days. Fun stuff.

From what I heard and saw of Oklahoma, it seemed like you all got more up there, at least compared to where I am in Texas...

Lysander

Used to get some good snow around here. Usually 12+ inches by December with over 30 near the end. Sometimes greater still. This year we've been between 3-5 inches and it hasn't gone up or down int he past 3 weeks :P   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Cvstos

I'm guessing you moved to the eastern half of Canada? I'm planning to move to the western half. Of course, I'm mainly looking at said city in the western half of Canada because there is a... very special lady friend there. And it's in the low teens (for ºF) there right now.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Mao

Maybe in your neck of the woods.  My city is under snow, and my parents place looks like a skating rink.

ChaosMageX

It snowed down in the Houston-Galveston area about a month ago.  And here I thought it only happened once every four years, not once every year. :P

Icon by Sunblink

Moonchylde

It's cold and rainy in the NKY area right now, though they're predicting snow by Monday (about an inch or so). We usually don't see any real snow until Jan/Feb, anyway... 'though the old-timers have been predicting some nasty weather right after new years, and they're usually pretty accurate (they're predicting the now-overdue "30 year storm." The last one hit in 1977, when the Ohio river froze solid enough to drive cars across; 8 feet of snow overnight and minus 50*F. NOT looking forward to it's return...).